I don't know what to do for Lent!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Johann_du_Toit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johann_du_Toit

Guest
Lent is fast approaching, and I don’t know what to do.
I gave up drinking 2 years back, but that seems like a waste since I don’t drink that much anyway (a beer with a pizza on a weekend while watching a Blu rar movie is as far as it generally goes. I’ve never even experienced a hangover).

I did give up video games and junk food on previous years, but doing it again would seem repetitive.

I can’t pledge to pray the rosary every day since I do that already.

I did consider giving up “ggogling” (spending time reading useless stuff on wiipedia and such) but that seems an insulting sacrifice to our Lord.

Is it possible to do something proactive instead of giving something up? Such as volunteering at the Church for assistance?

Any advice?
 
And there is acquiring the habit of increasing one’s prayer life. There is much guidance, and good spiritual books to help.
 
You might want to try to cut back on all things…in other words, make your life a bit more “sparse” recalling Jesus time in the desert.
Examples may be, resisting 2nd helpings of food,
resisting purchasing magazines or amusements
resisting the temptation to watch tv or hang around talking when you could be reading a good spiritual book.
Skipping the fun drinks, like sodas, and sticking to plain tea or water
not eating out
Quit the radio in the car, and pray the rosary aloud instead
Small things done with great love.
Make a special effort to pray the stations of the cross and reflect on them,
Take time for QUIET each day, thanking Christ for His sacrifice.
Seek out Adoration at parishes near you.
God bless you in your efforts to make it a holy and personally spiritual Lent!
 
40 Days for Life
happens every Lent and every Autumn.
It’s grown to 300 cities and much
fruit has been born from faithful
participants.
Peace.
 
I know what to do but I am concerned about following through. Hate this feeling.
 
I know what to do but I am concerned about following through. Hate this feeling.
Do the best you can! When you don’t follow through, say a prayer and start over again.

Quote of St. Therese of the Child Jesus “He knows we are but dust.”
 
Add some prayer, fasting, or almsgiving 👍
  • An hour of adoration a week
  • Pray the Office of Readings, Laud, or Vespers daily
  • Read and meditate of scripture daily
  • Fast one day a week
  • Give time and/or treasure to serving God’s little ones.
God bless you!

Gertie
 
I’m considering giving up all on-line political and religious forums, including this one.

Need to get away from arguing over religion and politics, which is pretty much all that goes on on these forums.

I’ll focus on prayer, reading and art.

Jim
 
Yes, it’s possible to do something proactive instead of giving something up.

Seeing as Lent is very much about conversion, I think it’s great to give up or add something to your life that helps you turn yourself more towards Christ. So find some area of sin in your life and make a change, whether it be adding something positive or fasting from something that perhaps you focus a little too much on. The tree traditional “pillars” of Lent are prayer, almsgiving and fasting. You could totally volunteer to help a local monastery or Catholic charity. Or you could pray the Stations of the Cross everyday. Or read a portion of the Gospels everyday. Or whatever other prayer/almsgiving/fasting suits you.

I can be kind of lazy sometimes and I’m a master procrastinator. Right now, I’m using this forum as an excuse to not write an essay. 😊 I’ve been trying to figure out what I’ll do for Lent this year myself, I’m thinking I really need to work on my slothfulness and one way to attack that is to change something that fosters the attitude of being lazy, so I’m thinking maybe I’ll give up slouching. Which will be brutal for me.
 
I’m considering giving up all on-line political and religious forums, including this one.

Need to get away from arguing over religion and politics, which is pretty much all that goes on on these forums.

I’ll focus on prayer, reading and art.

Jim
Sounds lovely. What kind of artwork do you do, may we ask?
 
Beautiful! You certainly have a great gift!
Thanks for sharing!
Have you ever painted anything for your parish? Our parish commissions a new piece of artwork of St. Matthew each year.
Thanks.

No, I haven’t painted anything for my parish. I don’t have the skill level to do good paintings of human figures that would be worthy for a church.

I’ve done paintings of my kids and grandson, but I had photographs to use for reference.

Painting Jesus or the Blessed Mother is done from imagination and I’m not good enough to paint a human being from imagination, yet.

Perhaps God has me in training for future paintings. 🤷

Jim
 
Thanks.

No, I haven’t painted anything for my parish. I don’t have the skill level to do good paintings of human figures that would be worthy for a church.

I’ve done paintings of my kids and grandson, but I had photographs to use for reference.

Painting Jesus or the Blessed Mother is done from imagination and I’m not good enough to paint a human being from imagination, yet.

Perhaps God has me in training for future paintings. 🤷

Jim
Try symbols. Holy Spirit over the Baptismal font, Two entertwined hearts, crown of thorns around a Monstrance, things like that. Many places/people would love to see more of this. There is a need. For meeting rooms, retreat centers, retreat lodging, etc.
I hope you are encouraged. I’m delighted to see your work…thanks again. All artists should be encouraged. Be assured of our prayers.
🙂

(check out this site: www.portraitsofsaints.com) wow!
 
Ways to help us turn our lives around. Instead of giving up things that may not change our lives–like candy, foods or drink–try the following:
ABSTAIN from
judging others, look for Christ in them
negativity, look at the positive side of life
concentrating on problems that overwhelm, turn to prayer that encourages
anger, learn the art of patience
bitterness, learn how to forgive and let go
self-concerns, learn compassion for others
idle gossip, learn the art of meditative silence
discouragement, be a source of hope for others
complaining, be appreciative of all God’s blessings.
ADD YOU OWN.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top