I Don't Know What To Do!

Jaguar1

In an online debate, I challenged my opponent to google ''The Canonization of the Bible. Usually, they won't, but this young man did, and of course, he replied with a Protestant answer, by using a Protestant source. I was then going to tell him to search an online encyclopedia (Wiki, Brittanica, Encyc.com & World History Encyc.).... They are all full of lies, or they are purposely misleading everyone including Catholics.

When I checked the Encyc's, all of them. They had dates wrong, an twisted church history like a slinky. I was then going to direct him to a Catholic source, but he would likely say, the CC is the one lying & misleading.

Any advice? I know that anyone can go in and change things, and that is what has been done since I looked thru them about 5 yrs ago.
I'd appreciate any help. It reminds me of how anti-Catholic America still is. Thank you.

Last edited:
Pray for him! Do a holy hour for him.
Ask him to go back before the "reformation." 1500 years before. Tell him that Jesus quoted from the Septuagint collection, as did the Bereans of whom Paul wrote. Ask him if the "7 books" he rejects are in the Septuagint collection (they are). Ask him if he or pastor are smarter than Christ.
Buy him a copy of "Where We Got The Bible" by Rev. Henry G. Graham. Rev. Graham was a pastor in the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian), but his study of scripture lead him to the Catholic Church. He ended up a Catholic Bishop.

In an online debate, I challenged my opponent to google ''The Canonization of the Bible. Usually, they won't, but this young man did, and of course, he replied with a Protestant answer, by using a Protestant source. I was then going to tell him to search an online encyclopedia (Wiki, Brittanica, Encyc.com & World History Encyc.).... They are all full of lies, or they are purposely misleading everyone including Catholics.

When I checked the Encyc's, all of them. They had dates wrong, an twisted church history like a slinky. I was then going to direct him to a Catholic source, but he would likely say, the CC is the one lying & misleading.

Any advice? I know that anyone can go in and change things, and that is what has been done since I looked thru them about 5 yrs ago.
I'd appreciate any help. It reminds me of how anti-Catholic America still is. Thank you.
I don't know if I'd say that secular encyclopedias are "full of lies" about Catholicism, on the contrary, they end up more or less defending the Catholic side of arguments, in that these arguments are true. Wikipedia in particular is written by its readers, and any false information is going to get called out and edited out by those same readers. The secular encyclopedias are more useful than not.

Some very good advice. Thank you. I don't understand their logic. If they truly love God, wouldn't they demand to know the truth, and thus get to know him & his son better?

It's just very frustrating. When you google most Christian subjects online, you must go through dozens of links, until a Catholic source comes up.

Some very good advice. Thank you. I don't understand their logic. If they truly love God, wouldn't they demand to know the truth, and thus get to know him & his son better?

It's just very frustrating. When you google most Christian subjects online, you must go through dozens of links, until a Catholic source comes up.
It's because they don't think Catholicism could possibly be true. They're programmed from Day One to accept only what is within their own small frame of reference.

I don't know if I'd say that secular encyclopedias are "full of lies" about Catholicism, on the contrary, they end up more or less defending the Catholic side of arguments, in that these arguments are true. Wikipedia in particular is written by its readers, and any false information is going to get called out and edited out by those same readers. The secular encyclopedias are more useful than not.
Go to Britannica and search the "canonization of the Bible."

Which other secular sources would you point me to?

It is my opinion that Protestantism is founded on the human ego. The ideology exploits the bible and pays lip service to Christ, but its novel doctrines were formed by the egos of the reformers and now, even by each believer. It is the "other gospel" which Paul warned against. "I", "ME", "MY" were favorite prefixes and terms in many reformation documents. The Holy Eucharist has been dissolved from true, full and complete presence to "spiritual presence" to "symbolic presence" to no longer unnecessary. This is the mindset with which we must contend. As regards the Eucharist, I note:

1 John 4:3 (Douay-Rheims) And every spirit that DISSOLVETH Jesus, is not of God: and this is Antichrist, of whom you have heard that he cometh, and he is now already in the world.

It is my opinion that Protestantism is founded on the human ego.

There are, undoubtedly, many good, sincere Protestants, but yes, it's a highly personalized form of religion.

Listen to some of their music and how much, as you point out, "I", "me", "my", and so on, are used. At least in traditional Catholic hymnody (such as you will hear at the Traditional Latin Mass, which I attend 95% of the time), you won't hear this, or at least not as much. The only one that comes to mind right offhand is this hymn:

Just off the top of my head, I'd say Wikipedia.
They are the same. If I wanted, I could sign and say the sky is green.
There are, undoubtedly, many good, sincere Protestants, but yes, it's a highly personalized form of religion.

Listen to some of their music and how much, as you point out, "I", "me", "my", and so on, are used. At least in traditional Catholic hymnody (such as you will hear at the Traditional Latin Mass, which I attend 95% of the time), you won't hear this, or at least not as much. The only one that comes to mind right offhand is this hymn:

Yes, it's ego. Many men do not want to be told what to do.

Back