I feel bad to ask, but which Bible versions do the Catechisms use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Farmer88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Farmer88

Guest
I would like to acquire the versions that go with both the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Catechism of Trent to be able to compare both. I’ve been poking around online but I can’t seem to get a straight answer and if I get an answer, it’s somewhat convoluted so I’m left just as confused as before. Thanks for the help.
 
I can’t answer about the Catechism of Trent, but my copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
“Scripture quotations contained herein are adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright 1946, 1952, 1971, and the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America, and are used by permission. All rights reserved.”
 
I can’t answer about the Catechism of Trent, but my copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
“Scripture quotations contained herein are adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright 1946, 1952, 1971, and the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America, and are used by permission. All rights reserved.”
Two versions?! Sheesh, can’t they get it down to one?
 
Two versions?! Sheesh, can’t they get it down to one?
My guess is that Church also used the NRSV because the RSV version used includes archaic language (thees and thous, etc) and if they quote a verse that contains archaic language they can switch to the NRSV. The NRSV however contains inclusive language, so it can’t be used by itself. Too bad the RSV-2CE was not available at the time the CCC was written, it could have solved the problem of using two translations.
 
My guess is that Church also used the NRSV because the RSV version used includes archaic language (thees and thous, etc) and if they quote a verse that contains archaic language they can switch to the NRSV. The NRSV however contains inclusive language, so it can’t be used by itself. Too bad the RSV-2CE was not available at the time the CCC was written, it could have solved the problem of using two translations.
In that case I’ll probably just get the RSV for the CCC. If I need to look up some archaic language, I’ll just look up definitions online or something. Anyone know if the Catechism of Trent and the Douay-Rheims-Challocer/whatever can be used together?
 
The other thing to remember is that a lot of times, stuff from the Septuagint and the Vetus Latina still comes into play, to represent non-Masoretic texts of the Bible or alternate early versions of the NT. So when they say “adapt”, they may well mean that “now it’s time to change to a more useful reading of the text, since today’s standard Bible translations leave out a lot of the good stuff.”

Not to make you paranoid; just to save you from getting crazy when you hit something that’s only down deep in somebody’s footnotes these days, but was common knowledge in the past.
 
Mintaka, I’m not really sure what you mean by that. Something may be just going over my head there, but I’m confused by that post.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top