N
nana3
Guest
Yesterday, I had a husband and wife ring my door bell. I answered the door. I was in the middle of cleaning, but they were Baptist and wanted only a “few minutes” to ask me some questions. They took out the paper and started to ask me the questions. It was a little warm. I live in Florida, even though today is cold, so I invited them into the house to sit down. At first, there was no problem for the wife just asked me the question from the paper and they were simple like: “What is repentance?” “If you were to die, would you go to heaven or hell?” “What does it mean to be a Christian?” and so on. But as I answered some of those, it came apparent to them that I was a Catholic. They didn’t say much in the beginning, but as we got more into the discussion, the husband did most of the talking and asked me where in the Bible is purgatory, where is the claim that Mary is a Virgin after Jesus’ birth. Where in the Bible does it state that Peter is our first pope and that our Church was instituted by Christ himself. Every answer I gave them, they refuted. My husband was asleep and would have done a better job of it. I realized that I could not quote the Bible as they did. I could not defend my beautiful Catholic faith and if upset me. The last words of this Baptist man were: “We can’t both be right and on judgment day when you die, you will be surprised and we be going to hell. Repent and find out the truth before it is to late.” He left after those words. I could not believe it.
I did learn several things. I need to learn more on my faith. I think it is called apologetics and I need to learn not to be so nice to people when they end with a statement like this man did and speak up and say something back like I wanted to. I did tell him in the course of our conversation while we were sitting that we differed in our opinion in our beliefs and let us leave it at that. He was not even open to listening to Scott Hahn who only uses the Bible. He said he would not listen to him. He has heard of him. I just prayed for them that night. I don’t know why all my experience with Baptist has been so bad. In my 20’s, I met a Baptist deacon and it was his job to take me out of the Catholic church. He told me I was on my way to hell. I did tell this man yesterday that he used the Bible to quote this and that, and yet he was judging me and did not know me.
I don’t know why, but I feel so inadequate and feel so bad. I am not angry, just sad at myself. I wish I could have spoke out more.
I did learn several things. I need to learn more on my faith. I think it is called apologetics and I need to learn not to be so nice to people when they end with a statement like this man did and speak up and say something back like I wanted to. I did tell him in the course of our conversation while we were sitting that we differed in our opinion in our beliefs and let us leave it at that. He was not even open to listening to Scott Hahn who only uses the Bible. He said he would not listen to him. He has heard of him. I just prayed for them that night. I don’t know why all my experience with Baptist has been so bad. In my 20’s, I met a Baptist deacon and it was his job to take me out of the Catholic church. He told me I was on my way to hell. I did tell this man yesterday that he used the Bible to quote this and that, and yet he was judging me and did not know me.
I don’t know why, but I feel so inadequate and feel so bad. I am not angry, just sad at myself. I wish I could have spoke out more.