I find it rather sad many folk choose not to believe in God

• Thread starter Thread starter englands123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Pattylt, but I think of the many Muslims or agnostics or atheists who have read the Gospels and come to belief…and many become Catholic…some become Catholic after reading the early fathers of the church. They didn’t believe before that. There is truth in the Bible …think Isaiah’s suffering servant verses and how it actually came to pass in the body of our Lord…

That is not having a ‘dim view’ of people in the world. It’s having a clear view. This is how people who currently reject God feel–it is not a view which says they will never change. Hopefully they will.
You seem to have a very negative view of humanity, in general. I am sorry that is the case.

I won’t dispute anything you have said, although I agree with none of it. You believe what you believe, as do I.

We are all different, because none of us comes from the exact same place. We are all very similar, in many regards, too.

Seems a little odd that it would even be suggested that we should all come to the same conclusion regarding these issues.

Last edited:
Five accounts including a medical doctor and a former anti-Christian pharisee. Latter on way to arrest friends of said personage. Met exact same personage on road to Damascus

Obedience
I can’t think of one single catholic dogma that I would have ANY problem with nor a single moral teaching of the church that I would be disobedient to IF I believed in a triune God. I’m already anti abortion, I have no objection to prayers, no problem going to Mass on Sunday, no problem with salvation theology except for not believing in God to begin with.

I’m not a rule breaker by nature. I’m not some wild crazed sex maniac. I’m not anticharity…as a matter of fact, I’m very generous to many…what I am is unable to believe. If I believed in God, I would obviously have to determine which one but I can’t even get out of the starting gate. :hugs:

Dear Pattylt, but I think of the many Muslims or agnostics or atheists who have read the Gospels and come to belief…and many become Catholic…some become Catholic after reading the early fathers of the church. They didn’t believe before that. There is truth in the Bible …think Isaiah’s suffering servant verses and how it actually came to pass in the body of our Lord…
I’ve read and studied all of them and my experience was different. That’s all I can really say…I don’t believe the claims they make. I think they definitely believed it but I didn’t. They either ring true or they don’t.

I also know many Muslims, Christians and Jews that couldn’t believe either. Maybe we just didn’t get the God belief gene that the others got?

Last edited:
Five accounts including a medical doctor and a former anti-Christian pharisee. Latter on way to arrest friends of said personage. Met exact same personage on road to Damascus
I took a Synoptic Gospels class at my Catholic university. None of the identities of the Gospel writers have been confirmed (it still hasn’t been proven that “Luke” was a physician), and Paul never mentioned meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus in his own Letters: that was from Acts, which was written later. None of these writings are contemporary accounts either.

Last edited:
So you just choose to disbelieve that St Luke was a medical doctor and you choose to disbelieve what he wrote about St Paul…which would have come from the mouth of St Paul … or even if you disbelieve that, from the contemporaries in Antioch

Rather than considering the testimony of good witnesses you just argue against it all

Hard nut to crack.

Last edited:
So you just choose to disbelieve that St Luke was a medical doctor and you choose to disbelieve what he wrote about St Paul…which would have come from the mouth of St Paul … or even if you disbelieve that, from the contemporaries in Antioch
There’s just no evidence that “Luke” was a doctor: only that he was a well-educated Gentile. There’s also no evidence that the “road to Damascus” story was directly passed on to him by Paul.

Methinks there are a lot of people who ‘protest too much’.

I’ve been accused of having a ‘dim view’ of humanity because I have noted that many people struggle with pride, obedience, etc. Apparently quite a lot of people think that they are absolutely ‘swell fellas and gals’ but just cannot believe in ‘any of the gods around’ or accept evidence unless it is ‘ironclad’, etc.

I agree with the OP. It is sad that people choose --and it is a choice, because I haven’t seen anybody here YET state, “What? You speak of a being called God? I have never heard of this being” --to not believe. Perhaps some of that comes from the erroneous idea that in order to believe something is true, one must have scientific ‘proof’. Perhaps over the last few decades of materialism and modernism, and the debunking of anything that smacks of anything other than ‘nature’, people have lost the idea of faith --a belief (there’s that word) in things hoped for. IOW, a choice --a gift given to those who truly do look, not those whose minds are already closed.

I do sympathize with many of you younger ones who were educated in a system whereby you were told to ‘question everything’ with the end result being that many of you just don’t know when to STOP. For you, there is never a final answer of: With all the evidence of Scripture and the Church, blessed are we who do not see with our eyes and hear with our ears Christ on Earth around AD 30 or so. . .yet on the testimony of His disciples and through the Holy Spirit working in the Church He instituted on St. Peter. . .we believe.

I believe, for God’s own Son has said it
Word of Truth that ever shall endure

Perhaps they think belief or faith is a feeling. Rather than humble acceptance that you were made and that there is something much greater than you, who made you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back