I hate praying, especially the rosary. Help me!

  • Thread starter Thread starter AP4Him
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only pray because of what you get out of it, then it seems to me that is at least part of your problem. Consider your prayer a special gift offered to the BVM and our Lord Jesus, just as it would be a special gift for you to go out of the way to do something you particularly dislike doing for a spouse or a parent as a sign of your love. The agony in the garden clearly shows us that Jesus wasn’t jumping up and down in excitement screaming “PICK ME! PICK ME!” when it came time for the cross - He didn’t want it. He did it out of love for us.
👍👍👍
 
I have no problem praying before meals, morning prayer, and at bedtime. I can also read spiritual books all day. But I really struggle with setting aside truly meaningful contemplative prayer time. I strive to say a rosary daily. I also would like to work in the divine chaplet and divine office, which somehow is more fulfulling and easier than the rosary for me. Anyhow…here is my problem…

I hate praying the rosary. It is such a struggle. I get NOTHING out of it. The entire time, I have to stop, asking for mercy and for the Holy Spirit to help me, because my mind wanders. Even when I can focus on the mystery, I get no insight there. Really, I hate it. I know that sounds awful, but I am being brutally honest because I really want to do better. When I do manage to say it daily, I feel like it is such a hoax. Like I am just doing something entirely outward with no inner spiritual insight or graces attached, because of how dry and meaningless it is for me. 😦 It is like folding laundry. I don’t know what to do. I switched to the DC, but I felt guilty because it is quicker, and less to think about, which is a lazy solution. So, I am back to trying to get this rosary recited daily.

I say it out of duty, and I have tremendous guilt over how I feel. I know that I should say it even if God does not bestow me with grace and wisdom from reciting it. I don’t expect that of Him, and I know that everyone experiences spiritual dryness. I just don’t want to dread this time in prayer. I don’t want to hate it. I love God so dearly, so how can I feel so awfully about the prayer the BVM desires us to recite? 😦

What am I supposed to do? How can I get over this? Thanks in advance.

I have been reading Merton, and started ‘when the well runs dry.’ I also sought some advice from my Priest. Please help me!
AP4Him- I will keep you in my Prayers to Our Blessed Mother to the Rosary. Also, you are not alone there are many people who didn’t really like Praying the Rosary and they turned out to be Saints! Take a look at St. Therese.

These are all suggestions:

“Even in prayer, Therese teaches simplicity - talking to God and Jesus in direct, personal and heartfelt ways. She did not like long prayers. She fell asleep during community prayer. She disliked the rosary. She prayed from her heart as a child speaks honestly and trustingly to a parent they love. God calls us to respond to Divine Love in a childlike relationship of love, trust and bold confidence to “Abba” (which literally means ‘Dad’), and by doing the simple things for others, well and with love.” quoted from:

littleflower.org/abouttherese/learn/FAQs.asp

There are many wonderful websites that people already suggested. Here is another one it is targeted towards teenagers but anyone can use it:

For people who can’t stand the Rosary (for Teenagers)

lifeteen.com/default.aspx…umentID=176516

There are more websites to this link (it’s one I started awhile back)

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=341350

Would it be helpful if you watched a Rosary D.V.D. or listened to a Rosary C.D.?

Do you pray the Rosary in one sitting? Next time, you pray the Rosary instead of praying in one sitting. Pray and meditate one decade in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening, etc. A religious Sister suggested the ideas (I mention this in two different posts by the way).

Do you enjoy Praying the Rosary alone or with a group? Sometimes, it is nice to Pray the Rosary as a group. Maybe, you can start praying the Rosary with your family, friends, church, etc. You can either pray the Rosary as a group at Church or at home.

Do you have any intentions that you would like to offer? Take it to our Blessed Mother and Pray the Rosary.

There are many people who need Prayers (please take a look at the Prayer Intentions) you can offer the Prayers while you are Praying the Rosary.

You can also offer each bead on your Rosary to the many people who are in need of Prayers and for all the Holy souls in Purgatory.

I recall watching Mother Angelica on EWTN and she said, "When you touch your Rosary say an, “Our Father” or “Hail Mary”

Our Parish Priest, admitted that he didn’t really like to pray Novena’s. I have to admit I don’t understand some form of Prayers like Taize.

I’ve always wanted to read a book called “The Seven Storey Mountain” by Thomas Merton.

Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, please Pray for all who struggle to Pray the Rosary. Amen.

God bless,
goforgoal
 
Even though it may seem as though you aren’t getting anything praying and as you say especially with the rosary, you are getting something. The BVM is still giving you graces and knows it is hard for you and understands. Some questions you might want to ask yourself: Do you find it hard to “talk” with the Blessed Mother? why do you find it hard? Maybe for awhile don’t say rosaries, just ask her for her blessings and help. If you don’t already, start wearing the brown scapular. It is something she asks us to wear and could be a start to a better love for her. I have heard that many people who started wearing it experienced a growth in their love for her. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. Also, at the end of other prayer or spiritual reading, ask the BVM for her help to bring you closer to her, and leave it at that. Finally, remember you are not the only one with these feelings. Many of our great saints struggled with spiritual dryness and yet they became saints. Read some of their stories, they may help you.

Want a cat? I don’t know how many times I have had to edit this post because of her kitty typing!!! 😃

:manvspc:
i’ve had times when i didn’t feel like praying the rosary… but HATE the rosary…?? hm… :confused:

have you ever felt that way???

the rosary saved me from satan… it is used in exorcisms and has been for centuries…

don’t mean to sound… whtever… but … don’t believe i will ever be able to relate to this one… just being honest…
 
I
I hate praying the rosary. It is such a struggle. I get NOTHING out of it. me!
you are going to get angry at me but i can’t help thinking… wondering…

is there some seroius sin in your life that you don’t want to give up or somethig???:confused:

just being honest but can’t imagine hating the rosary…:confused:

something seems to be very … uh… off kilter here…

again, just speaking my mind, if i can do that…
 
You may want to try just doing ONE decade a day, using the Scriptural Rosary. In it you say a line of scripture before each Hail Mary, which helps you to focus on the mystery.

Dorothy
WOW ! I coulda’ had a V-8 ! ! :doh2: (remember that one?) Why didn’t I think of that? Yes. Just one decade is not only effort in the name of good faith - but you might find yourself graduating to two decades and upwards in future. Meantime, the one decade and chaplets - good ideas from so many here.
 
Hi, I feel exactly as you do sometimes. My spiritual director said to keep on going even if there are no feelings, insights or anything. You’re there for love of God even though you may not feel anything. It’s a grace to have those insights and such, so if you don’t have them, you don’t have to feel guilty.
 
I hate praying the rosary. It is such a struggle. I get NOTHING out of it. The entire time, I have to stop, asking for mercy and for the Holy Spirit to help me, because my mind wanders. Even when I can focus on the mystery, I get no insight there. Really, I hate it. I know that sounds awful, but I am being brutally honest because I really want to do better. When I do manage to say it daily, I feel like it is such a hoax. Like I am just doing something entirely outward with no inner spiritual insight or graces attached, because of how dry and meaningless it is for me. 😦 It is like folding laundry. I don’t know what to do. I switched to the DC, but I felt guilty because it is quicker, and less to think about, which is a lazy solution. So, I am back to trying to get this rosary recited daily.

I say it out of duty, and I have tremendous guilt over how I feel. I know that I should say it even if God does not bestow me with grace and wisdom from reciting it. I don’t expect that of Him, and I know that everyone experiences spiritual dryness. I just don’t want to dread this time in prayer. I don’t want to hate it. I love God so dearly, so how can I feel so awfully about the prayer the BVM desires us to recite? 😦

What am I supposed to do? How can I get over this? Thanks in advance.

I have been reading Merton, and started ‘when the well runs dry.’ I also sought some advice from my Priest. Please help me!
It sounds as if you have devotional overload! Spirituality is a very personal thing. If it is causing you as much distraction as you say it is, chances are it is not a devotion for you. Don’t feel guilty! If you find a chaplet more to your liking and derive great benefit from it, then by all means, use it. The same is with any type of written or memorized prayer. At least, read the Bible both in the morning and evening, or say the Morning Offering daily.
 
I have no problem praying before meals, morning prayer, and at bedtime. I can also read spiritual books all day. But I really struggle with setting aside truly meaningful contemplative prayer time.

… I don’t know what to do. I switched to the DC, but I felt guilty because it is quicker, and less to think about, which is a lazy solution. So, I am back to trying to get this rosary recited daily.

I say it out of duty, and I have tremendous guilt over how I feel. I know that I should say it even if God does not bestow me with grace and wisdom from reciting it. I don’t expect that of Him, and I know that everyone experiences spiritual dryness. I just don’t want to dread this time in prayer. I don’t want to hate it. I love God so dearly, so how can I feel so awfully about the prayer the BVM desires us to recite? 😦
Hello AP4Him,

I wanna offer a different perspective. You mentioned folding laundry is boring. Do you get distracted while doing laundry, or while reading or listening to others. Does it take you a couple of readings to read this thread. If you have these problems or any other major obstacles with doing one task or staying put for a long time, maybe you’re mind is just distractable.

If you’re distractable it makes sense that you can do your own prayers, the DC and you still love God and wishes to pray the rosary. Those other things are under your own time line and so it’s hard to switch into a “scheduled prayer” time. If that’s the case, I do not think you should feel guilty nor beat yourself up over it. Doing so might weaken your spiritual strength indirectly.

Here are some humble suggestions to help you.
  1. Try spontaneous “prayer time”. Have a rosary and prayer book with you throughout the day, in a backpack or purse or briefcase or even jacket pocket, so that if you ever get a inkling, you can hop to it anytime. Try to be deligent once you start, but give yourself some slack if you fail to finish. I bet after a few weeks or months, it will get easier and easier to complete the rosary prayers when you do not pressure yourself.
  2. Another technique you can use with or independent of the above is to do a warm up by thinking and talking with God and BVM. Tell them your intention of praying and help you feel their presence. I found that spiritual encouragement is really make a difference.
  3. Depending on your personality type, you might need to avoid distraction all together by being in Church it is not Mass time. Being there during the day can really motivate a person into prayer.
I hope these suggestions will be helpful.
 
As I said before, I struggle with the rosary. However, this is what I do sometimes-First, I’ll ask, what are the lessons in this mystery? For example, in the Luminous mysteries-
The Wedding at Cana-obedience-Jesus’ obedience to His mother
Jesus’ baptism-John’s humility when Jesus approaches and says-“it is You who should baptize me.”
Jesus proclaims his kingdom-Jesus’ mission
and so on…
I will then ask myself after each mystery-what are some ways I have not obeyed Jesus or my superiors, what are some ways I could be more humble like John, am I proud in any way, or have I tackled my mission full heartedly as Jesus did?
In a nutshell, I will boil the mystery down to which virtues it teaches and how I can better imitate that virtue.
 
Thank you all so much for so many wonderful suggestions and insight. Really, it is so so so tremendously helpful. God Bless you all! I am glad I posted what I did. There are so many thoughts and links I would not have considered. This will help! I appreciate everyone’s time and suggestions given here! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Do you get distracted while doing laundry, or while reading or listening to others. Does it take you a couple of readings to read this thread.
Yes, I am distracted. It took a few tries to even find the time to respond to the wonderful posts here. But, maybe not so much distraction as just being way too busy with 3 young kids and a husband that works alot. For example, while I fold laundry, I am multi-tasking; teaching my 3 y/o with his flash cards, reaching over to the high chair to give the baby his spoon he dropped, yelling at my 5 y/o to remember his bike helmut as he walks out the door, rushing into the kitchen to check what is cooking…you get the pic. 🙂

Your suggestions sound great! 🙂
Depending on your personality type, you might need to avoid distraction all together by being in Church it is not Mass time. Being there during the day can really motivate a person into prayer.
Yes! During the school year, I started attending daily mass. It was my way of fitting some prayer and devotion in. Did not help how I feel, but it was extra time I had with Jesus, which I know helped me in my daily life. I figured it might be the best way to serve Him seeing as I could not serve Him well in prayer. I will do that again this Fall. We are on Summer break now, and the church is a distance away. Makes it hard. We are moving though and will be closer to the parish, so this will help. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

To the curious poster that asked if I had some big sin that I was not able to give up, confused as to why I do not like praying the rosary…Gosh, we are all sinners, I will not claim to be sinless, but the only sin I feel guilty about, or the only big one that I am atleast wise to, the only one I have confessed, is…not wanting to pray and being distracted and bored and frustrated while I do. I used to have wonderful insights while praying the rosary. Things changed. No, I don’t have some big mortal sin hanging over my head.

I am off to look at some of these links! Thanks so much!!!
 
** AP4Him**, it’s so good to read your posts and hear how you seek and follow Jesus 🙂 :).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top