X
xmydreamsfadex
Guest
what should one say when someone attacks the CC because it has “funded and started wars in Gods name” and has “killed millions and millions of innocent people”? i was stumped.
Note: it’s always a bad idea to quote something out of context, then also provide a link to the original, longer document.“On this account I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ’s heralds to publish this everywhere and to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it meant also for those who are absent. Moreover, Christ commands it.”
–Pope Urban II, as a rallying cry that started the First Crusade (from here)
As a personal note, I would agree that religions, and just about every one, have led millions of people to their deaths over differences in beliefs. What we really need, are more people of faith, whatever faith that may be, to stand up and say, “No more.”
I am curious as to how else aid could have come to those defenceless people?Where was I not being honest? Where did I put words or intentions in Urban’s mouth? I did not say he insisted on an unprovoked attack of a peaceful coexistence. The Pope made a call to arms and mobilized an army for one of the most infamous wars in human history. That’s all I was pointing out. Anything else you’re reading in that is your own imagination.
Do I think he should have let the Christians in the region be slaughtered? No, of course not, but aid need not come at the point of a sword. Of course, you do know what they say about 900 year old hindsight…
I’d say, good for Pope Urban.Where was I not being honest? Where did I put words or intentions in Urban’s mouth? I did not say he insisted on an unprovoked attack of a peaceful coexistence. The Pope made a call to arms and mobilized an army for one of the most infamous wars in human history. That’s all I was pointing out. Anything else you’re reading in that is your own imagination.
Do I think he should have let the Christians in the region be slaughtered? No, of course not, but aid need not come at the point of a sword. Of course, you do know what they say about 900 year old hindsight…