I have a question involving sex within catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmyP747
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmyP747

Guest
I’m going through RCIA and am halfway through. But one thing has been bothering me about some comments regarding sexual relations of married persons in the Catholic church. I would like to know why there are some individuals in Catholicism who believe that sex within a Catholic marriage should be mostly for procreation only? If God had not wanted it to be more than that then it wouldn’t have been made pleasurable. And since we are to remain faithful to that spouse, would it be a sin to want this from our spouse within that marriage? After all you are bound for life with that person. Thank you. :confused:
 
I think you posted this in the wrong section, so I’ll be asking the mods to relocate it…

That aside, there are many Catholics who do not understand what the Church teaches about many things. Don’t let their ignorance confuse you.

The Church teaches that sex is for two reasons: uniting man and wife (hence why they call it the “marital embrace”), and procreation.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a physical relationship with your spouse without the intention of having children. That’s why the Church advocates Natural Family Planning as a method of “birth control.” It keeps the gift of sexual intimacy open to life, while at the same time allowing a couple to be responsible in bearing children.
 
I see that you’ve posted elsewhere regarding your family’s disapproval of your conversion to the Catholic Faith. Welcome home, and remember the words of our Blessed Lord, “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me.” Matthew 10:37

Here is some reading material I highly suggest you read.
  1. Is Natural Family Panning a Heresy, by Fr. Brian Harrison.
  2. Why are Homosexual Acts Wrong? by Fr. Brian Harrison. (Highly relevant, I assure you.)
  3. Humanae Vitae (1968), Pope Paul VI.
  4. Casti Connubii (1930), Pius XI.
Here are two sermons I suggest that you listen to. Remember, Faith comes by hearing.
  1. Holy Matrimony and NFP (Very Good).
  2. The Duty of Motherhood versus the Abuses of NFP.
 
I’m going through RCIA and am halfway through. But one thing has been bothering me about some comments regarding sexual relations of married persons in the Catholic church. I would like to know why there are some individuals in Catholicism who believe that sex within a Catholic marriage should be mostly for procreation only? If God had not wanted it to be more than that then it wouldn’t have been made pleasurable. And since we are to remain faithful to that spouse, would it be a sin to want this from our spouse within that marriage? After all you are bound for life with that person. Thank you. :confused:
:signofcross: Heavenly Father, as you call out to Amy for conversion to Catholicism, also give her great joy in celebrating sex with her husband - that the two might become as one - bless their marriage - and their marriage bed.
 
:signofcross: Heavenly Father, as you call out to Amy for conversion to Catholicism, also give her great joy in celebrating sex with her husband - that the two might become as one - bless their marriage - and their marriage bed.
Right. Just remember that marriage doesn’t immunize every sexual act; sodomy, for example, is still mortally sinful. In other words, just because two people are validly married doesn’t mean “anything goes.” And don’t let anyone fool you in thinking the opposite. The devil can be very persuasive when it comes to sexual sin.

Read those documents, listen to the sermons, and pray to discern the truth.

God bless you.
 
I’m going through RCIA and am halfway through. But one thing has been bothering me about some comments regarding sexual relations of married persons in the Catholic church. I would like to know why there are some individuals in Catholicism who believe that sex within a Catholic marriage should be mostly for procreation only? If God had not wanted it to be more than that then it wouldn’t have been made pleasurable. And since we are to remain faithful to that spouse, would it be a sin to want this from our spouse within that marriage? After all you are bound for life with that person. Thank you. :confused:
You have received very good answers already - but I was taken by the sentence that I bolded above.
I believe that God made sex pleasurable BECAUSE it is for procreation. 😃

Peace
James
 
Sex bounds a man to his wife. This is described in Humane Vita. It also binds the wife to her husband.

I am a Catholic man. Having sex with my wife keeps us linked together. Any day is a good day if you had sex with your wife. Life is good! Wives thrive when they have sex often too.

Sex also makes babies. It’s all good, the way God intended. At this point, I see it all as the same thing. Babies, wife, family, sex, God, love, chocolate cookies,…all good. Thanks God.

Peace
 
You have received very good answers already - but I was taken by the sentence that I bolded above.
I believe that God made sex pleasurable BECAUSE it is for procreation. 😃

Peace
James
James, my only problem with this is you don’t address the unitive purpose of sex, which is equally important. God gave us sexual intimacy both for procreation and to unite husband and wife. It is for BOTH reasons that He also made it pleasurable.
 
Thank you all for your answers. Having everyone’s (name removed by moderator)ut is very positive and informative. God bless all of you. I know some questions might sound ridiculous, but sometimes there are questions that really mean a lot to some people. Thank you again!!
 
There of course will come a time when we will be past our child bearing years. At this point sex is definitely about unity in the marriage. It is for enjoyment as well because if it wasn’t, then we would not be able to look forward to sex in our later years. Now THAT would be sad!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top