I have several questions about Eastern Catholicism

• Thread starter Thread starter DrawNearToGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an Eastern Marian devotion to replace it?
I wouldn’t phrase it as replacing it. In the Byzantine tradition, we have the Akathist to the Theotokos, which is older than the Rosary. Also, Marian devotion is a regular part of our Divine Liturgy and other liturgical services, and we show devotion to the Theotokos through our iconography.

Last edited:
Is there an Eastern Marian devotion to replace it?
Given that the major roughly parallel devotions in the East are older, “replace” may not be the right word . . .

The Akathist to the Theotokos regularly appears during the Divine Liturgy (and is a public rather than private devotion), whereas the Rosary may descend from the older “Rule of the Theotokos” (a private devotion, like the rosary, but older).

Marian devotion is, if anything, stronger in the East than West.

Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding but is Eastern Catholicism basically Orthodoxy with the Pope?

sort of.

The Church always consisted of multiple institutional churches, but in the Western empire, there was only one (what is now called the RCC).

Liturgy and theology largely, but not exclusively, followed the split between the latin speaking western empire, and the greek speaking eastern empire.

This schism was, again, roughly, the same lines.

After the schism, over time, some of the Churchs (e.g., Ukrainian and Ruthenian) eventually reestablished communion with Rome, at lest one (Melchite) managed to, at times, simultaneously maintain communion with both, and in in other cases, Rome established new churches for individuals wanting to be in communion with it.

So the theology, spirituality, and ecclesiology of the Eastern (and Oriental) Catholics is generally the same as their corresponding Orthodox churches, but they are in communion with Rome (“under” is a poor way of stating it).

A lot of this depends on the tradition. Byzantine is different from the Syriac speaking traditions, etc. In the latter you will quite often find the rosary and statues (from my experience among Maronite and Chaldean churches). Statues weren’t unheard of – See: Eusebius of Caesarea, etc. Even the ark had Cherubim.

Finally, it’s the Catholic Church, not the Roman Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back