I love you . . . but you chose to burn . . .

• Thread starter Thread starter jahozafet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Hurd:
Forgive me for posting before I’ve read every post on the thread, but something written by (I believe) John Cardinal Newman came to mind while reading through the posts. I don’t have the exact quote, but the gist of it was that the fire that the damned experience in Hell is really the fire of God’s love as felt by those who have rejected Him. Those who have accepted Him experience it as the warm embrace of an all-loving Father. I may have gotten the quote wrong, though.
So now I’m supposed to think that pain and torture is a good thing, because it’s the fire of God’s love?

40.png
jahozafet:
So now I’m supposed to think that pain and torture is a good thing, because it’s the fire of God’s love?
This isn’t even remotely close to what he said; nor is it what I said when I gave basically the same explanation.

40.png
theMutant:
Point conceded. This is actually the same for scientific evidence. Science never proves anything absolutely but it can demonstrate enough evidence that we can rely on a given hypothesis with certainty. Likewise with the natural evidence for God’s existence.
You can’t say that you know that god exists, with or without certainty. You can say that you know to try and present the stance that you believe very strongly. But you can’t say that you know. There would be no faith required if you knew as opposed to believing that god exists.

40.png
theMutant:
This isn’t even remotely close to what he said; nor is it what I said when I gave basically the same explanation.
Okay, well then what was he trying to say?

It is what he was trying to say. There is no other explanation for that post than someone trying to present the idea people suffering and burning in hell as people experiencing the love of god. It’s ludicrous.

Overall, before I call it a day, it seems like all of you are bending over backwards to try and explain a system of beliefs that is logically flawed.

40.png
jahozafet:
Overall, before I call it a day, it seems like all of you are bending over backwards to try and explain a system of beliefs that is logically flawed.
Well, at least we’re bending over backwards trying to explain something. At least we’re trying to show you that your definitions of faith, reason, and God are not the only one’s out there. You have failed to show even one inconsistency in our beliefs except by trying to force your own definitions on them; definitions which are not compatible with ours. If your definitions were correct, then you would be right and our position would be logically flawed. Since your definitions are not, it is your position that falls into that category.

40.png
jahozafet:
So let me get this straight . . . there are parts in the bible that are to be taken literally, and parts that are to be taken figuratively . . . these literary techniques that you describe. How do you discern between the two?
Well now, the only way is through study isn’t it? Reading the bible understanding both the historical and cultural context in which it was written. And it’s not entirely up to me to make such discernment. As I’ve already stated, I look to the Catholic church when there is any question.
Traditional Catholic understanding of how to read scripture is described as follows…
The Meaning of Inspired Scripture has 3 aspects - The Literal Sense, The Spiritual Sense(Typology), The Deeper Sense
Methods and Approaches - 1)The Use of the Historical-Critical Method 2) A Plurality of Methods and Approaches as long as they are in conformity with Catholic teaching.

And that last part is the most important. That it’s in conformity with Catholic teaching. THAT is the test.
40.png
jahozafet:
The problem with interpreting the bible is that people can interpret it to mean anything they want it to. It’s been used to justify everything, including racism and slavery.

So basically, what people do when interpreting the bible is interpret in such a way that there is no errors. This is not a solid foundation.
If I may be so bold ast to ask if are you Catholic? The above is statements you make are manifestly NOT Catholic understanding. Catholic ‘People’ don’t (or should not) just interpret the bible to mean anything they want.

40.png
jahozafet:
This equates to blind faith. You are saying that you are not allowed to have judgement, anbd that the church makes judgements for you.

Do you know who else has blind faith? Islamic extremists. They were told that if they blew up a bus full of innocent people, they would be immdiately with Allah. Blind faith is dangerous . . . I think people should think for themselves.
jahozafet. You are clearly out of you area of knowledge in speaking of Catholic faith. You’d do better to refrain from comparing us to Islamic Extremist. I’d suggest educating yourself better about what we believe before you come on these forums picking a fight. Maybe start with the Catechism Catholic Church if you are at all interested in learning what about what your attempting to talk about. And I suspect you know VERY little about Islam as well except the polemic nonsense you’ve picked up on the internet.

40.png
jahozafet:
Here’s one:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?” - Epicurus
Evil is nothing in and of itself. It can not create, or be created. Evil is simply the perversion of something good.

40.png
Hannibal:
Sorry, but this makes no sense. Atheists don’t “choose” to go to hell, they don’t believe in it in the first place.
I made no judgementst about who is going to hell, including atheist. That is between they and God. What I did say is that whoever is not with God in eternity will be without his presence by their own choice. Very different than what you imply.
40.png
Hannibal:
Lewis was a mediocre theologian at best. His arguments all commit the reification fallacy.
I never called Lewis a theologian, and I doubt he would have consider himself one either. He was an excellent apologist who wrote in a way that has helped many take the first steps towards faith. I simply referenced a FICTIONAL work of his which is a good read and helps shed some light on the mind of the Christian concerning heaven and hell. I neither said nor implied more. I wish folks would actually read the posts instead of picking one of their pre-canned quotes to respond to something which was never said.

40.png
jahozafet:
Yes, but the lack of evidence to support a historical Jesus leaves little reason to believe that he did exist, in my opinion.
Are you seriously going to make the ‘Jesus didn’t exist argument’? No secular scholar worth their salt even holds this view any longer. If you want to go there, that’s fine, but you are going WAY out on a limb.

Squirt -mea culpa - my last post to you was a bit testy and that wasn’t very Christian of me. :o

Had to leave the office before I could correct it though. On the drive home I gave this thread a lot of thought - and particularly your statement about some not-so-good Catholics sharing some of the blame for the lack of conversion on the part of some athiests.

First, I want to let everyone know here how much I appreciate that people such as yourself - non-believers - feel comfortable enough here to posts your thoughts and questions. It has given me opportunity to reflect upon my faith I otherwise would not have had.

Here’s another wonderful thing about the Catholic faith -
based on my understanding of Mary and in th Divine Mercy of Jesus, I truly believe that our prayers for all souls departed, especially those who did not come to know God or did not accept Him while on this earth - truly has an affect on those souls.

So while we Catholics may have ‘failed’ you in our encounters with athiests, we do not abandon you. We fervently pray for your conversion while you are still alive in the hopes that you will receive the grace necessary to be open to your next encounter. We also pray for your souls if you happen to die before that can happen.

I don’t know about any other Catholics out there because it could be possible I’ve misinterpreted some things…but it’s my understanding that our prayers of intercession on your behalf to Mary can result in your soul being spared eternal damnation. I’m not so certain athiests go directly to hell if there’s a shred of belief in their hearts of God’s existence and they still basically led a ‘good’ life. I imagine they go to purgatory.

Can any other Catholics clarify that for me? Thanks.

squirt said:
#1 … as far as I know, I’m one of ‘us’.

#2 … ‘we’ also have to take responsibility for how we present the faith

#3 … different people start from different starting points. That’s why evangelization has to take many forms. One of the saints that I admire most is St Thomas Aquinas because he was willing to start discussions about God on the starting points of those with whom he wished to discuss God.

Again, my bad :o
These posts were flying this afternoon and it has been difficult to keep up with who’s who.

40.png
jahozafet:
Damned to hell . . . where people Jesus loves have to suffer eternal torture and misery for non-belief.

I’m so happy that Jesus loves me!
Silly, silly. 😛
If you’re so happy that he loves you then you would love him in return and you wouldn’t have to be concerned about the fires of hell because you would not be living a life which would result in your being sent there. That’s the beauty of it all. Once you believe in Jesus, you come to know Him, and you can’t help but love Him.

40.png
jahozafet:
Why would you expect the consequence of your rejection of God should be a ‘good thing’?

When we break the laws of the land, we don’t get sent to Disneyland (though for some that might be the equivalent of hell). We get sent to a place which deprives us of all freedom.

When we break the rules of the house growing up as children, we don’t get treated to hugs and ice cream. We get sent to our rooms or a corner (isolation) or some get spanked (sad, but true).

When you reject the affections of a partner before marriage, they don’t give you presents and a hug.

When you reject your spouse - silent treatment comes to mind, as does sleeping on the couch. (not that i’ve ever experience it personally) 😉

40.png
jahozafet:
I think that blindly subscribing to a system of beliefs that has been handed down to you from an archaic hierarchy with a track record of abuse is far more “robotic” than thinking for yourself.

I never said that people should not be held accountable for their actions. I said that god would not let us burn if he loved us. You give the example of a murderer. What about good people who don’t believe in god?
Why do you believe I “blindly” subscribe? I could choose to believe in another faith. I could believe in nothing at all. Of course I choose based on history - that Christ Jesus suffered for sins, all sins, mine included, so that we may be united through the Holy Spirit in faith and return to the Father in heaven. I also choose based on my experience with God. I think for you to put historical evidence (I’ll refer you to The Case for Christ); the Bible - Word of God; the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; the gift of the Holy Spirit, the Catholic Church; the communion of Saints; millions of followers for thousands of years into “an archaic hierarchy” is a harsh, exaggerated criticism of our faith, don’t you think? If we did not think for ourselves, even now, with our faith, why would we all be here, discussing it on these forums?

There are good people who don’t believe in God. But I do believe God brings them to Him eventually. There are those, too, who thumb their noses at God. I don’t think that’s good for their souls, but he loves them just the same.

I also think the more you know, the more you’re held accountable for.

40.png
jahozafet:
Yes, but the lack of evidence to support a historical Jesus leaves little reason to believe that he did exist, in my opinion.
Ah, but there is substantial physical evidence that has been recovered to prove the existence of people and places spoken of in the Bible…enough to provide more credence to the theory of His existence than to disprove it.

I also see you say “So I’m supposed to believe, or I have to believe” in some of your posts.

You don’t have to do anything.

You asked why God would punish us for rejecting Him.
We’ve explained it as best we could. You can choose to accept our explanations or not. Just as our ‘arguments’ have not stirred you to change your way of viewing things, yours - however solidly ‘rooted’ in science or fact as you may believe - isn’t about to change ours either.

Then again, we’re already on the path to salvation and aren’t in need of worrying too much about fire and brimstone. We have no reason to question our faith especially if by doing so we risk being sent to that very horrible place.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to lose by holding onto your beliefs since you are so certain our ‘reality’ doesn’t exist. You also have nothing to lose by accepting Christ. What would the negative consequences of doing so be? What is there to be afraid of?

40.png
jahozafet:
You may not read since you are done today and probably on to another topic tomarrow, but I’ll make a comment that I hope doesn’t get taken out of context and is truly meant out of charity for another human being.

Your posts do sound angry and defensive. I don’t say this because you are atheist because there are other atheists on this forum that are not defensive in there responses. You have a tendency to take others out of context which I understand can happen sometimes in any forum where the written word can not be seen by the one typing.

I’ll pray for you although you may feel it’ll do no good. I’ll pray for you with the best regards for you and not just because you are atheist. Take care and God bless you.🙂

40.png
theMutant:
Ah, but science can reach reasoned conclusions when the otherwise falsifiable hypothesis is never proven false.
So? The conclusions are always tentative and open to revision.
To argue against these conclusions simply because there may be some yet to be discovered test that would prove a situation where the hypothesis is false is illogical and unreasonable. It would be like jumping off of a cliff and relying on the belief that the gravity won’t apply because the hypothesis of gravity are “falsifiable.” That, my friend, is blind faith.
Actually, what you just said makes no sense at all. A falsifiable hypothesis is testable, that is all that means. I don’t think you grasp these points very well.

"blind faith’ is redundant. The faith of theism is simply belief based on no reason. That is what faith means. The claim that one can hold to a belief without any epistemological justifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back