I missed HDO Mass- can I receive Communion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrsfig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am a practicing Catholic with many failings and getting to Mass is one of my main struggles. I knew the 8th was an HOD, when my grandma called me, it was unexpected, the noon mass had already passed and I knew I could still make the 7pm mass right before my bible study. She was very depressed at the time and as I mentioned home-bound.

I did her shopping and when it was time to leave, I debated whether to stay with her just a little longer or go to Mass. She didn’t want me to leave and I was even late to my study. My grandma is VERY devout and I prayed with her. I decided to keep her company and miss Mass hoping God wouldn’t consider it a mortal sin against me.

I did email my spiritual advisor, my parish priest, the next day but he never replied and I just got caught up in the busyness of the holidays and abstained like I mentioned until Christmas Mass. I am VERY aware of being spiritually prepared to receive our Lord. During the homily, the Priest spoke of the Eucharist and how that day of all days was the most important to receive Him. I spoke the words, “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed.”

I know this doesn’t make up for confession but I know three things are required for a sin to be mortal one of which is for the intention to be separated from God, which I was not. On this principal alone, I believe I was not in mortal sin.

Oh Dear Lord, I am not trying to make excuses and like I mentioned previously, I realize I should have gone to confession weeks ago. I just want to know if indeed it was a mortal sin or not. Thanks for your help!
Based on your reply it would seem not, IMO since you were already there with her, and delayed your departure for her benefit. Next HDO I would plan to attend an eariler Mass or the Vigil if I anticipate a unavoidable busy day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top