I need a bit of help find the right Saint biography to read

• Thread starter Thread starter WarriorForJesus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WarriorForJesus

I’m struggling with a certain sin. I want to know if any Saint had the same struggle I do. Are there any knowledgeable Catholics out there who knows if any Saint suffered with the sin of lust?

I would like to read to see how he/she got past it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

40.png
WarriorForJesus:
I’m struggling with a certain sin. I want to know if any Saint had the same struggle I do. Are there any knowledgeable Catholics out there who knows if any Saint suffered with the sin of lust?

Try St. Augustine

40.png
WarriorForJesus:

It’s hard if we don’t know what your sin is.

Dear WarriorforJesus,

You should read St. Augustine’s Confessions and not just depend on biographies.

Other saints, like Benedict and Francis, had their moments but, as far as I know, it wasn’t a continual sort of struggle for them. I guess after throwing yourself into some thorns, like St. Benedict did, the lower nature gets the point.

Sincerely yours in our Lord,
Br. Dan

You could try a different angle. Don’t know if it will help you with your own struggle, but it is a different angle.
Saint Maria Gorretti, she didn’t suffer from the same sin. In no way am I saying you are a rapist, please don’t take my suggestion that way. What I am saying is that someone lusted after her so much so that they tried to rape her. She was killed in the attempt because she fought back. She was a victim of lust.
Just something different to think about…
Good luck.

. Are there any knowledgeable Catholics out there who knows if any Saint suffered with the sin of lust?
Try any saint who was a male!

:cool:

St. Augustine, or St. Maria Goretti and her would-be rapist, Alessandro Serenelli.

Her story is good, but Alessandro’s is really good.

St. Augustine’s Confessions is the book. Lust is his struggle - even after he gives up his mistress and is betrothed to a girl (he was waiting for the girl to come of age) he continued to battle strong, lustful thoughts of his prior relationship. Even after he knew that he was being called to God his old ways continued to drag him back. The entire book is really all about that continuing battle:

For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity. By these links, as it were, forged together – which is why I called it “a chain” – a hard bondage held me in slavery. But that new will which had begun to spring up in me freely to worship thee and to enjoy thee, O my God, the only certain Joy, was not able as yet to overcome my former willfulness, made strong by long indulgence. Thus my two wills – the old and the new, the carnal and the spiritual – were in conflict within me; and by their discord they tore my soul apart.
It is available online here.

Pray the Rosary (just wanted to add what helped and helps me)

Here is an excellent book. It is the biography of the life of Faustina Kowalska. Her gift to us was the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Begin to focus on the Mercy of Jesus, trust in the Mercy of Jesus and you will begin to change. Hers is a story of the complete devotion of her will to Christ. I am currently reading it and if you would like it after I am finished I will be more than happy to send it to you.

The book title is “The Life of Faustina Kowalska” by Sister Sophia Michalenko"

Dear WarriorforJesus,

In that case, think about St. Mary Magdalene (although there is not much known about her…) or St. Margaret of Cortona or St. Catherine of Siena (who discusses temptations quite a bit in the Dialogue and other places). I can’t think of other women off hand.

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
Is she really a Saint? My parents misnamed me. That should have been my name. Not that I am anything like an actress. But I have “acted” not on stage, but in other ways, so to speak.

Now, if I could only become monastic or a hermit, but my 2 teenagers would be lost without me.

Thank you, that was very interesting.

Br. Dan:
Dear WarriorforJesus,

In that case, think about St. Mary Magdalene (although there is not much known about her…) or St. Margaret of Cortona or St. Catherine of Siena (who discusses temptations quite a bit in the Dialogue and other places). I can’t think of other women off hand.
Thank you. I have taken note of those. Although I thought Mary Magdalene was not the woman caught in adultery. I shall like to read all that is known about her.

I have never heard of St. Margaret of Cortona, thank you for enlightening me.

And I will definitely look up St. Catherine of Siena.

You have been very helpful.

Take a cold shower, or just jump into the cold water, seriously that helps alot!

40.png
ncgolf:
Here is an excellent book. It is the biography of the life of Faustina Kowalska. Her gift to us was the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Begin to focus on the Mercy of Jesus, trust in the Mercy of Jesus and you will begin to change. Hers is a story of the complete devotion of her will to Christ. I am currently reading it and if you would like it after I am finished I will be more than happy to send it to you.

The book title is “The Life of Faustina Kowalska” by Sister Sophia Michalenko"
Thank you for the offer. I’m sure I can find the book at the local Catholic bookstore here in town. If not they can order it. I would not be sure I would return it. But I will see if I can put my hands on it. I do like reading and I have so many leads on where I can be inspired on my journey to leave my past behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back