H
HopeInChrist
Guest
Hello Friends,
I am in great need of advice and prayer. I have been married for almost four years and we have a two year old daughter. Due to a long list of unfortunate events culminating in my husband being laid off, we have had to move in with my parents. We have been here since the beginning of the summer, and our situation is not looking to get any better any time soon.
DH does have a job at a local grocery chain, and is making a steady paycheck, but the problem is that our paychecks combined are not enough to get us out of my parents’ house and there is not enough to save. We’re both looking for better paying jobs, but the market is pretty rough.
To top all of this off my husband’s depression is getting (understanably) worse and instead of talking to me about his worries and anxieties, he looks for comfort in a bottle of booze. I am afraid of the pattern I’m seeing in this. My grandfather and my father were both drinkers, and eventually both became abusive both physically and emotionally. I don’t see this in my husband yet, but the fear is there…
I feel sorry for my husband. I know that he is under a lot of stress and pressure as he feels he needs to be the breadwinner. I do what I can to comfort him and offer him my ear, but I never get any more than a shrug anymore. He has very few guy friends to talk to, and the ones he does have are busy with families of their own. Like I said, I feel sorry for him, but I am also at the end of my tolerance for his hopeless attitude.
He’s stopped looking for a job because he says that it’s hopeless. He does very little to help around the house, and leaves 90% of the childcare to me. He does some, but very little. He mopes and complains and whines about what **** his life is, but has no motivation to do anything about it. As time goes on, this is getting worse.
I know that we are not the only ones in this situation, by far. In fact, I know that this is a fairly common situation in the present economic times. I just want my husband back. I miss talking to him, snuggling with him on the couch with a movie and a bucket of popcorn, walking around our favorite places, taking the baby to the park…We do NOTHING. He’s so worried about money that he watches every penny. Everything is too much money so we do nothing.
What should I do? I know that we’re still pretty new at this marriage thing, but I don’t want to lose my husband before we’ve even begun. I believe in my marriage vows and would never leave him. I want to help him, but I’m running out of ideas. Church is not a help, because I don’t know what he even gets out of going. I can’t get him to discuss faith issues with me anymore either. He just says he’s depressed and its all hopeless.
HELP!
-Hope
I am in great need of advice and prayer. I have been married for almost four years and we have a two year old daughter. Due to a long list of unfortunate events culminating in my husband being laid off, we have had to move in with my parents. We have been here since the beginning of the summer, and our situation is not looking to get any better any time soon.
DH does have a job at a local grocery chain, and is making a steady paycheck, but the problem is that our paychecks combined are not enough to get us out of my parents’ house and there is not enough to save. We’re both looking for better paying jobs, but the market is pretty rough.
To top all of this off my husband’s depression is getting (understanably) worse and instead of talking to me about his worries and anxieties, he looks for comfort in a bottle of booze. I am afraid of the pattern I’m seeing in this. My grandfather and my father were both drinkers, and eventually both became abusive both physically and emotionally. I don’t see this in my husband yet, but the fear is there…
I feel sorry for my husband. I know that he is under a lot of stress and pressure as he feels he needs to be the breadwinner. I do what I can to comfort him and offer him my ear, but I never get any more than a shrug anymore. He has very few guy friends to talk to, and the ones he does have are busy with families of their own. Like I said, I feel sorry for him, but I am also at the end of my tolerance for his hopeless attitude.
He’s stopped looking for a job because he says that it’s hopeless. He does very little to help around the house, and leaves 90% of the childcare to me. He does some, but very little. He mopes and complains and whines about what **** his life is, but has no motivation to do anything about it. As time goes on, this is getting worse.
I know that we are not the only ones in this situation, by far. In fact, I know that this is a fairly common situation in the present economic times. I just want my husband back. I miss talking to him, snuggling with him on the couch with a movie and a bucket of popcorn, walking around our favorite places, taking the baby to the park…We do NOTHING. He’s so worried about money that he watches every penny. Everything is too much money so we do nothing.
What should I do? I know that we’re still pretty new at this marriage thing, but I don’t want to lose my husband before we’ve even begun. I believe in my marriage vows and would never leave him. I want to help him, but I’m running out of ideas. Church is not a help, because I don’t know what he even gets out of going. I can’t get him to discuss faith issues with me anymore either. He just says he’s depressed and its all hopeless.
HELP!
-Hope