I need help with the Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter mandy2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, by include her in on Adoration I meant include her in the company of those who are doing the Adoring. The way we include in people we love whenever we do something special like celebrate an anniversary or a wedding.

Secondly I was mildly playing on words, Mary played host to the original Host in the same sort of way that she was mother to her Creator.
I appreciate the clarification, but Jesus is not a “Host” either. I assume that this is another play on words, that you know that Jesus isn’t really a host, but we have to be careful what we say and how we explain the faith. The OP seems a little confused already.

Your post mentioned the heresy of Bible alone. We have to be careful about the way we explain the faith because Jesus as a human who was merely hosting God is not orthodox teaching either.

Again, I’m sure that isn’t your point, and I do appreciate the clarification. I hope I have not caused you loss of peace.

-Tim-

-Tim-
 
The meditation on the Gospel from the Daily Office website speaks so well to the topic that I had to post it:
Monday of the Fourth week of Lent
Commentary of the day
The Imitation of Christ, spiritual treatise of the 15th century
IV, 18 (trans. Robert Dudley)
“Whoever examines the majesty of God will be crushed by his glory” (Prv 25,27 Vg). God can do works that pass man’s understanding… Faith is required of you and sincerity of life; not high intelligence, nor penetrating knowledge of the mysteries of God. If you do not understand nor grasp what is below you, how will you comprehend what is above you? Be subject to God, submit your feeling to the faith, and the light of knowledge will be given to you as much as you need and can use.
Some have grave temptations concerning faith and sacrament; which are not to be imputed to them, but rather to the enemy. Take no notice, do not argue with your thoughts, nor answer the doubts with which the devil attacks you; believe God’s word, believe his saints and prophets, and the wicked enemy will be routed. It is often most profitable to God’s servant to endure such things. For the devil does not tempt the infidel or sinner, of whom he has already secure possession; but he uses various means to tempt and harass the devout faithful.
Go on then with simple unquestioning faith, and approach the Sacrament with reverent beseeching. Anything you cannot understand, commit it surely to God who is omnipotent. God does not deceive you; the over-confident person deceives himself. God walks in step with the simple ones, he shows himself to the humble ones, he grants understanding to the little ones; “he reveals hidden meanings to little ones”, and hides away his grace from the inquisitive and the proud. Human reason is feeble and fallible; but true faith cannot be deceived. All use of reason, all human inquiry should walk in the footsteps of faith; it should not go on in front of it nor call it in question.
 
I know everything about hanging out with Protestants and how it might affect your own views…pm me if you wish to talk about that more. I’m the only Catholic convert of my Lutheran family 😃

So I recognize your thoughts as I’ve also needed to clarify them to myself (and explain to my near and dear ones). And please correct me if I got something wrong here, I’m still learning.

Mary’s role in Protestant churches is practically invisible, so whenever she is even mentioned it would seem odd to them. Which really has me climbing up the walls sometimes, because without Mary we would not have Jesus in the first place! The Word turned into flesh through her. It is unbelievable how she could be considered to be of only little importance. Also because Mary is human and not God, she is closer to us in a sense that makes our prayers reach her better. And then she passes them onwards.

I have to say that in my Protestant past I either didn’t know how to pray (wasn’t praying to Mary then) or didn’t have enough faith, because my prayers then rarely helped me the way they do now. It’s like I have “updated my connection” somehow. So I pray to Mary a lot simply because it seems to work better for me.

About how people are feeling when they are in Mass, well this is a bit embarrassing but I will use myself as an example again. When I first attended a Catholic Mass, this incredible feeling of divinity and home combined made me shed tears. I wasn’t a joyful sight for sure, but I was anything but sad. I felt so safe and loved and accepted I got emotional. And I still get that sometimes, and that’s when I just try to hold a poker face so I won’t upset anyone.

The Eucharist worries- yes- I recognize that about myself too. But then I always go back in my mind to the first Mass and the feeling I got then. Compared to what I had been experiencing in Lutheran churches, it was overwhelming. I could really feel the difference, I could feel the transformation somehow. Go to a Lutheran service to see how it’s not done! haha no, I’m joking here. 🙂 And I don’t mean to be rude but all I can say is what I felt. It was amazing: after all those years, I found Him, and there was absolutely no question about it. Jesus is there; in the Catholic Eucharist, He really is there. (still need to wait 6 Sundays to receive Him 🙂 ) So those doubts may come but they go, and of course praying helps.

Oh and I should point out there is a reason why Catholics read the Catechism more. It’s a pretty thick book compared to the Protestant equivalent…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top