I need some answers.

  • Thread starter Thread starter FreakyLocz14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mankind is not necessarily getting worse all the time–some are getting better through faith and living the Gospel.
  2. You cannot get saved through works, but works do count. The Catholic explanation is: works without grace cannot save you. We rely on God’s grace, and only on grace, for salvation. BUT: once saved, your works can be meritorious. They can gain you special distinctions in heaven–which is why we celebrate various categories of saints, such as martyrs. They can be works of “supererogation,” not required, but chosen and offered out of love.
  3. As James said, it is not faith alone that saves us–faith is not faith if it never bears fruit in good works. It is only in faith, however, that works can be good.
re: 2

Also, works can maintain salvation, once obtained. See:

Council of Trent

Canons Concerning Justification

Canon 32.
If anyone says that the good works of the one justified are in such manner the gifts of God that they are not also the good merits of him justified; ***or that the one justified, by the good works that he performs by the grace of God and the merit of Jesus Christ, whose living member he is, does not truly merit an increase of grace, eternal life, and in case he dies in grace, the attainment of eternal life itself ***and also an increase of glory, let him be anathema.

So we can say that a person who dies in a state of grace has merited eternal life by his good works.

Which begs the question, is it the state of grace or is it the good works that obtains eternal life?

Or, do good works maintain a living faith?

I think that the assent of the will to perform good works that keeps our faith a living one, and this assent is given a meritorious status by God.

Thus it is not the results of the good works we do that give us merit, but the assent of the will to do them.

(Remember, God works in us both to will and to do).

peace
steve
 
I’m just beginning to explore the Catholic faith, having recently started RCIA. I grew up Lutheran, and have been on an exploration of my faith for a good portion of this year.

I had many of the same questions brought up by the OP, but through reading the chatechism, and from some of my readings on this forum, I have found what I think are answers, and had some of my misconceptions clarified.

Some of what I have learned along my path:
This portion of question 2: Remember, if it’s not in the Bible, then it’s not doctrine.
This is a large reason for my increased interest in learning about the Roman Catholic church. There are many documents and writings that were not entered into the Bible, and without having access to this additional information, much of which was passed down from the initial founding of the Church, we don’t have the entire picture of how we should live with Christ. Yes, the vast majority of what is likely important was included within the Bible when the teachings and writings were compiled, but that is not the entire story.
  1. Why do Catholics confess to a priest, when we should be confessing to God? The Bible says that only Jesus Christ is our mediator with God.
    In my Lutheran upbringing, we were instructed that confession to a pastor is not a requirement, we can confess directly to Christ, but that the pastors can also hear our confessions, as they are able to grant absolution for our sins, as noted preivously. There is also the added benfit with confessing to a pastor/priest of being able to ask for spiritual guidance for them if you are struggling with some of the sins you are confessing.
  2. How is not idolatry to pray to the Virgin Mary and the saints? Again, the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to our Heavenly Father. Also, how are the statute, crucifixes, rosaries, etc. not forbidden graven images?
    This was a very big red flag and question for me, but reading here, and through some of the masses I have attended have really helped to clarify this for me. As has been stated by others here, we are doing no more with the prayers for the intercession of the Saints or Mary than if we were to ask the living members of our church to pray for us or someone we care for. We aren’t praying to them to help the person directly, but for thier prayers to God, asking for his help/forgiveness.
Works vs grace alone was another thing I had struggled with, but am starting to see a bit differently. Without God’s grace none of us can be saved. Where I see the way good works come into play is that, if you truly have faith, and feel the grace and love of Christ, your love and thankfulness would compell you share it with others. I don’t think that works done because you feel you must do it for your salvation really carry any weight with them. Works done because you want to share the gifts given to you, be they spiritual gifts, physical gifts, mental gifts, what ever gifts you feel can be of benefit and are thankful to God for, those are works I see truely being what would bring God joy. Those works done out of fear or wanting to secure our place in heaven, are selfish acts, and while they may be good, are tainted by that selfishness. Hopefully what may have started out as selfish acts to try securing one’s place in heaven, can be turned into selfless acts, where we want to do them, for the benefit that they bring to others.

Sorry for the long somewhat rambling post, but these are just the thoughts of someone trying to find my spiritual way home, and where my thoughts currently are along this path.
 
In my limited understanding I forgot to touch on what is probably the most common form of works, instead of just what others can see us actually doing for others, how we live and worship when no one else is watching.

For me it came about after watching “Passion of the Christ” directed by Mel Gibson. I understand that it wasn’t completely accurate, but that movie, more than anything else, brought a clarity to my understanding of Christ’s suffering and dying for us and for our salvation. Afterwards I found myself uncontrolably moved and pretty much broke down, feeling myself, and how I have been living as a christian completely unworthy of the gift I had been given through Christ. Since that night I have regularly prayed daily. No one really notices it, my wife wasn’t even aware of it until I mentioned it when I recently started on this new spiritual journey, since I pray in silence before going to sleep at night. Usually it is the Lord’s Prayer, but depending on what is going on in my life and with those that I know and care about I will include other words and requests in there. It is very rare that I end up falling asleep without praying, but it does happen once in a great while, and I always regret those nights, as I just don’t feel right without my nightly prayer. My prayer isn’t because I feel I have to pray for my salvation, but as a way to thank the Lord for his sacrifice, for which I am eternally grateful and unworthy.
 
I don’t recall ever being taught the answers to these questions. I remember being taught the 10 Commandments and what the Eucharist is, but I don’t even recall ever being taught to abstain from taking the Blessed Sacrament while in a state of unrepented mortal sin. I also don’t ever recall being taught why Tradition is equally important than the Scriptures, the distinction between venial and mortal sin, Confession, what is required for salvation, etc.
Those are what you would have learned in CCD, I don’t think Protestants teach those things so that might explain why you don’t agree with what the a Catholic Church teaches.
 
I think that was Thomas Peter’s point. I was never taught those things either. Some parish’s are terrible at teaching about faith. Historicly, children would learn from their parents. When I took CCD, they assumed that I was learning how to be a good Catholic at home. They spent all their time on some bible lessons, “what would Jesus do? questions,” learning prayers, Mass responses, & stuff about some of the Saints.

There was little true Catechizing, because it was assumed that you were getting that at home. CCD was the “gravy” for your “Thanksgiving turkey.”

Personally, I think CCD, CFF, PREP (whatever program), should be taught more like RCIA. I also think that during the year of Confirmation, all candidates should be trained/retrained with RCIA Catechizing program. This would make sure everyone that everyone getting Confirmed receives the same amount of Catechizing.

I feel that in general, RCIA Candidates receive more Catechizing than most cradle-Catholic Candidates. We need to fix this.

Too many parents simply are not well Catechized themselves. How can we expect them to do a good job Catechizing their children if no one Catechized them?
This is the propaganda that Protestants and Fallen Away Catholics are propagating. The reality is that most Catholics are effectively catechized. I’m a cradle Catholic and I received very good catechism from my parents, my youth group, CCD, and my priests.
 
Those are what you would have learned in CCD, I don’t think Protestants teach those things so that might explain why you don’t agree with what the a Catholic Church teaches.
These are not my personal beliefs. I am merely a cradle Catholic who is doing some soul-searching during his young adulthood.
This is the propaganda that Protestants and Fallen Away Catholics are propagating. The reality is that most Catholics are effectively catechized. I’m a cradle Catholic and I received very good catechism from my parents, my youth group, CCD, and my priests.
I wasn’t. Whether my experience or common or not is unknown to me.
 
No need to invoke the “unforgiveable sin” (impenitence) verses. Instead we see:

1 John 5 16-17

“16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death…”

So some sin leads to death, some not.
You’re kidding, right? “There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.” That is an unforgivable sin. Your mortal sins are in principle forgivable, and you believe you should pray about them. This is not the picture in 1 John 5. You should be instantly reminded of when Jesus said:

“And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.” (that’s Matthew 12:31-32, and similar to Mark 3:29)

That unforgivable sin fits with 1 John 5:16-17. But of course if you already have your belief in mortal and venial sin and are simply proof texting after the fact, rather than beginning with Scripture, then 1 John 5:16-17 will do. Is Catholic mortal sin “a sin that leads to death” for which one cannot ask forgiveness? Categorically no. I’m disappointed you quoted 1 John 5:16-17.
 
The idea of venial sin may be very appealing since we always tend to minimize the seriousness of sin. Murder is definitely a mortal sin; being angry and calling someone a fool during a brawl would probably be classified “venial” by many Catholics. But we would do better to listen to Jesus for a proper evaluation of the seriousness of sin, rather than the wisdom of Rome.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire” (Matthew 5:21,22).

You need not murder to be in danger of damnation; it is enough to call your brother a fool to end up in hell.
 
You’re kidding, right? “There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.” That is an unforgivable sin. Your mortal sins are in principle forgivable, and you believe you should pray about them. This is not the picture in 1 John 5. You should be instantly reminded of when Jesus said:

“And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.” (that’s Matthew 12:31-32, and similar to Mark 3:29)

That unforgivable sin fits with 1 John 5:16-17. But of course if you already have your belief in mortal and venial sin and are simply proof texting after the fact, rather than beginning with Scripture, then 1 John 5:16-17 will do. Is Catholic mortal sin “a sin that leads to death” for which one cannot ask forgiveness? Categorically no. I’m disappointed you quoted 1 John 5:16-17.
What do people do who have this unforgivable sin. Do they just wait to go to hell? What about almost everyone in the world who gets angry at some point, they are now equal to murderers. Can they and other murderers just pray themselves. And what about murderers whom the Apostle says cannot enter the kingdom?
 
Understand where the OP is coming from due to poor Catholic education and lengthy absence from the Church. It isn’t easy to find the right resources or opportunities, especially when you are trying to learn everything from the Bible, why things are done or said in mass, what is that statue, how did the Church get from St Peter to today, prayer through to spiritual growth. Just mentioning a few things (I am sure there are others which God in his mercy will reveal little by little). It is easy to be overwhelmed.

Good resources have been suggested. I can only add a couple of starting points which I found helpful:
  1. Your Priest.
  2. catholicbible101.com/ which gives answers to a lot of questions.
  3. Catholicism For Dummies by Rev. John Trigilio Jr., Rev. Kenneth Brighenti (availble online, for kindle and in paperback.
I haven’t read The Catholicism Answer Book: The 300 Most Frequently Asked Questions by Rev. John Trigilio Jr., Rev. Kenneth Brighenti. I spotted it in a bookshop yesterday and had a quick flick through - it might be a good resource for you as you have a lot of questions.

God bless you as you journey in faith.
 
What do people do who have this unforgivable sin. Do they just wait to go to hell? What about almost everyone in the world who gets angry at some point, they are now equal to murderers. Can they and other murderers just pray themselves. And what about murderers whom the Apostle says cannot enter the kingdom?
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. Only God knows just who is guilty of that sin.

I suppose a good deal of people get angry, but as Christians we shouldn’t. But yes, Jesus clearly says it put us in danger of hell, and the passage from 1 John you refer to says much the same. God is the embodiment of holiness, so not even the smallest sin can be tolerated. Any sin is worthy of hell. There is no way we can pay for our sins, or even come remotely close to the perfection required by God. As an aside, the Catholic notion of supererogatory works, however, says that some people exceed God standards. Yet, Romans 3:10: “there is none righteous, not even one”.

I take it you refer to 1 John 3:14-15.

“We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.”

And this mirrors what Christ said. In the eyes of God, both will damn you to hell. It’s a great verse to show Catholics there is no mortal and venial sin. No one who loves and trusts Jesus and who, to use John’s expression “has eternal life residing in him” commits murder. It’s a logical impossibility. John, of course, does not mean that murder is an unpardonable sin if the murderer repents; but he shows that hate and death go together, as love and life, and that the two pairs are mutually exclusive.

God bless
Stephen
 
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. Only God knows just who is guilty of that sin.

I suppose a good deal of people get angry, but as Christians we shouldn’t. But yes, Jesus clearly says it put us in danger of hell, and the passage from 1 John you refer to says much the same. God is the embodiment of holiness, so not even the smallest sin can be tolerated. Any sin is worthy of hell. There is no way we can pay for our sins, or even come remotely close to the perfection required by God. As an aside, the Catholic notion of supererogatory works, however, says that some people exceed God standards. Yet, Romans 3:10: “there is none righteous, not even one”.

I take it you refer to 1 John 3:14-15.

“We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.”

And this mirrors what Christ said. In the eyes of God, both will damn you to hell. It’s a great verse to show Catholics there is no mortal and venial sin. No one who loves and trusts Jesus and who, to use John’s expression “has eternal life residing in him” commits murder. It’s a logical impossibility. John, of course, does not mean that murder is an unpardonable sin if the murderer repents; but he shows that hate and death go together, as love and life, and that the two pairs are mutually exclusive.

God bless
Stephen
Heart Foam:
And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire” (Matthew 5:21,22).
what does this mean? what is the difference between the council and hell fire; between saying raca and saying fool?
 
The idea of venial sin may be very appealing since we always tend to minimize the seriousness of sin. Murder is definitely a mortal sin; being angry and calling someone a fool during a brawl would probably be classified “venial” by many Catholics. But we would do better to listen to Jesus for a proper evaluation of the seriousness of sin, rather than the wisdom of Rome.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire” (Matthew 5:21,22).

You need not murder to be in danger of damnation; it is enough to call your brother a fool to end up in hell.
Amen! Catholics love those verses and we should strive to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. However, there IS more to the storty, so to speak.

Sin that is Mortal Proved from Scripture

1 John 5:16-17
16If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

Common sense tells us that there is a big difference between stealing a paperclip from a colleague’s desk and committing genocide. Yet the Protestant pretends that they are equally heinous and equally deserving of eternal damnation. This creates a false piety. Instead of making all sins more serious, it actually trivializes the most grievous sins. After all “In for a penny, in for a pound.” If I am damned anyway for trivia, I might as well be damned for something really juicy. That’s human nature!

Protestants also do not realize how unbiblical their idea that all sin is equally heinous is. We have the quotation from St. John given above which should have been proof enough, but there is more. If all sins are equally bad then in the OT the penalty for every sin would have been the same: DEATH. Instead, the Old Testament describes several ways of atoning for sins and making things right that demonstrate there are different degrees of sin. Only the most heinous sins such as murder or apostasy require the death penalty.

So once again, by using purely man-made standards, the Protestant makes void the word of God.

John 19:11
11 Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.”

If there is a “greater” sin, then there must be a “lesser” sin, also.
 
Amen! Catholics love those verses and we should strive to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. However, there IS more to the storty, so to speak.

Sin that is Mortal Proved from Scripture

1 John 5:16-17
16If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

Common sense tells us that there is a big difference between stealing a paperclip from a colleague’s desk and committing genocide. Yet the Protestant pretends that they are equally heinous and equally deserving of eternal damnation. This creates a false piety. Instead of making all sins more serious, it actually trivializes the most grievous sins. After all “In for a penny, in for a pound.” If I am damned anyway for trivia, I might as well be damned for something really juicy. That’s human nature!

Protestants also do not realize how unbiblical their idea that all sin is equally heinous is. We have the quotation from St. John given above which should have been proof enough, but there is more. If all sins are equally bad then in the OT the penalty for every sin would have been the same: DEATH. Instead, the Old Testament describes several ways of atoning for sins and making things right that demonstrate there are different degrees of sin. Only the most heinous sins such as murder or apostasy require the death penalty.

So once again, by using purely man-made standards, the Protestant makes void the word of God.

John 19:11
11 Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.”

If there is a “greater” sin, then there must be a “lesser” sin, also.
James 2:10 is often cited by Protestants to argue that all sin is equal.
 
Common sense tells us that there is a big difference between stealing a paperclip from a colleague’s desk and committing genocide. Yet the Protestant pretends that they are equally heinous and equally deserving of eternal damnation.
From what I know, both stealing and murder are considered to be mortal sins, i.e. you go to hell if you die not having repented. I honestly don’t see how that makes any sense at all, especially considering your example.

Good works don’t balance everything out, either. In other words, you could be the world’s greatest philanthropist, but masturbate* once* in your life without repenting or confessing and it’s eternal hellfire for you. The same punishment presumably for tyrannical despots, serial killers, rapists, and so on.

There is no way that is fair without astronomical theological acrobatics, yet, that’s what the Catholic church seems to be suggesting with their concept of mortal sin. Unless this is another thing I’ve grossly misunderstood.

Also, apostasy requiring death penalty? Seriously?
 
From what I know, both stealing and murder are considered to be mortal sins, i.e. you go to hell if you die not having repented. I honestly don’t see how that makes any sense at all, especially considering your example.

Good works don’t balance everything out, either. In other words, you could be the world’s greatest philanthropist, but masturbate* once* in your life without repenting or confessing and it’s eternal hellfire for you. The same punishment presumably for tyrannical despots, serial killers, rapists, and so on.

There is no way that is fair without astronomical theological acrobatics, yet, that’s what the Catholic church seems to be suggesting with their concept of mortal sin. Unless this is another thing I’ve grossly misunderstood.

Also, apostasy requiring death penalty? Seriously?
Actually, the Catechism itself says that masturbation can be mortal or venial, depending on the circumstances. I think it depends on whether or nor it amounts to committing adultery in your heart, which Jesus himself said was the same as actually committing an adulterous act. (Matthew 5:27-28)

People are not saved or damned based on their works, but rather based on their faith. We are saved by God’s grace, not by our own good works, but we are the ones who decide whether or not to reject his grace by mortally sinning and not repenting. Even if he commit mortal sin, God will still forgive us. No sin is unforgivable, other than rejecting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.
 
Actually, the Catechism itself says that masturbation can be mortal or venial, depending on the circumstances. I think it depends on whether or nor it amounts to committing adultery in your heart, which Jesus himself said was the same as actually committing an adulterous act. (Matthew 5:27-28)
I’m single… this makes it sound as if it’s not a mortal sin for me.

Also, does this mean that a man in a long-distance relationship with his wife (business trip, out to war, etc.) may masturbate, as long as he thinks of his wife?
People are not saved or damned based on their works, but rather based on their faith. We are saved by God’s grace, not by our own good works, but we are the ones who decide whether or not to reject his grace by mortally sinning and not repenting. Even if he commit mortal sin, God will still forgive us.
From what I know, this sounds like Protestant doctrine, but I’ll give you benefit of the doubt and assume it’s in the catechism.
No sin is unforgivable, other than rejecting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.
Actually, it would be blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, if I’m not mistaken.
 
I’m just beginning to explore the Catholic faith, having recently started RCIA. I grew up Lutheran, and have been on an exploration of my faith for a good portion of this year.

. . .

Some of what I have learned along my path:
This portion of question 2: Remember, if it’s not in the Bible, then it’s not doctrine.
This is a large reason for my increased interest in learning about the Roman Catholic church. There are many documents and writings that were not entered into the Bible, and without having access to this additional information, much of which was passed down from the initial founding of the Church, we don’t have the entire picture of how we should live with Christ. Yes, the vast majority of what is likely important was included within the Bible when the teachings and writings were compiled, but that is not the entire story.

. . .

Works vs grace alone was another thing I had struggled with, but am starting to see a bit differently. Without God’s grace none of us can be saved. Where I see the way good works come into play is that, if you truly have faith, and feel the grace and love of Christ, your love and thankfulness would compel you share it with others. I don’t think that works done because you feel you must do it for your salvation really carry any weight with them. Works done because you want to share the gifts given to you, be they spiritual gifts, physical gifts, mental gifts, what ever gifts you feel can be of benefit and are thankful to God for, those are works I see truly being what would bring God joy. Those works done out of fear or wanting to secure our place in heaven, are selfish acts, and while they may be good, are tainted by that selfishness. Hopefully what may have started out as selfish acts to try securing one’s place in heaven, can be turned into selfless acts, where we want to do them, for the benefit that they bring to others.
Good points! 👍

God is very good at taking what we have to give, even if it is not adequate by itself, and expanding on it over time.

That is, although our first efforts at sharing our gifts may be tainted by selfishness or guilt or pride, there often comes a point when we have to face that choice again–only this time we must decide between sharing our gifts and being selfish. Say you did your volunteering to read at Mass because you were afraid of going to hell for your sins and wanted to ensure you get to heaven. But then you gradually come to have true love of the Word of God, and begin to let it speak in the silence of your soul–and you realize that giving your little bit is not enough. You are moved to do more, to teach the children the love of God in Religious Ed, or to call others to be lectors, or lead a Bible Study group. That’s how God often works–opening our hearts a crack, and showing us what good things come of that for ourselves and others, so that we want to open up further.
 
You’re kidding, right? “There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.” That is an unforgivable sin. Your mortal sins are in principle forgivable, and you believe you should pray about them. This is not the picture in 1 John 5. You should be instantly reminded of when Jesus said:

“And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.” (that’s Matthew 12:31-32, and similar to Mark 3:29)

That unforgivable sin fits with 1 John 5:16-17. But of course if you already have your belief in mortal and venial sin and are simply proof texting after the fact, rather than beginning with Scripture, then 1 John 5:16-17 will do. Is Catholic mortal sin “a sin that leads to death” for which one cannot ask forgiveness? Categorically no. I’m disappointed you quoted 1 John 5:16-17.
But it seems that it is you who are conflating the sins spoken of in these two passages.
Matthew speaks of “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit”–that is, calling the Spirit, by which Jesus drives out demons, a prince of demons: “And if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your own people drive them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.” (Mt. 12: 27-28) If we deny the Spirit is of God, then how can we appeal to that Spirit for forgiveness? That is why such sin is unforgivable: our very sin comes to block the one avenue of mercy.

1 John 5:16-17 does not speak of such sins. Rather, it is probably referring to sins of the Antichrist (apostasy) or idolatry. Indeed, the first list of “deadly sins” in the church, the “big three,” were murder, adultery, and apostasy. Apostasy was sinful from the very first–John’s corpus of writings speaks much about “those who were with us” but who now have turned away (1 Jn 2:18-19) and the need to keep the commandments and love one another (1 Jn 3-4), including the example of Cain, who killed his brother (murder!), for loving God means we love our brother also, and keep God’s commandments.

Furthermore, if you read closely, you can see that John does not forbid us to pray for those in deadly sin–only that we need not pray for them. We should pray for those not in deadly sin, because they are still brothers (and sisters) in Christ, and so our love should drive us to pray.
 
I’m single… this makes it sound as if it’s not a mortal sin for me.

Also, does this mean that a man in a long-distance relationship with his wife (business trip, out to war, etc.) may masturbate, as long as he thinks of his wife?
Don’t take my word for it, because I’m not an expert, but I believe that would be venial only, if sinful at all.

Masturbation is the only mortal sin that isn’t always mortal, even if the three elements of mortal sin are all present. The reason for this is because the Bible doesn’t actually say that the act of masturbation itself is what is sinful, it’s underlying thoughts that are measured.
40.png
HardRockGTR:
From what I know, this sounds like Protestant doctrine, but I’ll give you benefit of the doubt and assume it’s in the catechism.
It absolutely isn’t. Protestants don’t believe in the distinction between mortal sin and venial sin, nor do they believe that one rejects God’s grace by persisting in mortal sin. They believe that once someone is saved based on their faith alone, they are always saved.
40.png
HardRockGTR:
Actually, it would be blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, if I’m not mistaken.
Yes, but exactly what does that mean? There has been considerable debate amongst Christians of all denominations on exactly what one has to do to be guilty of the unforgivable sin. Most Protestants believe that one blasphemes the Holy Spirit by denying its saving power. I am unaware of the Catholic view.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top