I Spilled Holy Water In Church...Is This A Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HopefulShepherd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HopefulShepherd

Guest
I went to Easter Vigil tonight and I went to get Holy Water after mass. i had never done this before, and the catch basin was full. The woman behind me said something about sticking a bottle in the catch basin. When I went to do this it spilled all over the floor of the altar. I filled my bottle and just left the water to soak into the carpet with the rest of the water that had already been spilled. I feel terrible now, and I didn’t know if spilling the water like that was a sin. I was feeling really good after mass, but now I feel horrible. Please help!!!
 
Rest assured it is NOT a sin. It was just an accident, and you should not be concerned over it. You did the right thing.

Remember that at Lourdes (I believe that’s the right place) people were bathing in, and drinking the blessed water!
 
When I went to do this it spilled all over the floor of the altar. I filled my bottle and just left the water to soak into the carpet with the rest of the water that had already been spilled.
There is no sin. Holy Water is a sacramental, not a Sacrament. Although the words are similar, the difference is great.

Even so, suppose you had received the Body of Christ (*the *Sacrament) in a Pix with the intention to deliver it to a homebound Christian. And, suppose the lawn sprinkler system had accidentally gone off just as you left Mass, and drenched you and ruined the Host.

The second (hypothetical) incident is much worse than the incident you proposed, but neither constitutes sin.
 
I suggest you talk to your priest, you may have scrupulosity. It seems you cannot distinguish between an accident and a sin. A sin is something you do purposely.

Why would you think spilling holy water is a sin?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top