I
ianjmatt
Guest
I am having such a terrible time of it and I have no idea what to do.
My marriage has been quite difficult for some time, but it has just got so much worse. I have felt called to communion with the Catholic Church for years, but put it off as my wife just wasn’t comfortable with it at all. However a few years ago her heart softened towards the Church - she came across Catholics and Catholic blogs that really changed her perception. I started towards the path of reception a year ago but put it off as she really wasn’t happy. Then, in the autumn she said to me that if I really felt called to this I should slowly explore it. I started going to the RCIA classes and met with a great local priest who has been very helpful, and my wife attended the classes with me. It all seemed fine and going in the right direction until this week. She has utterly freaked out and has said that I am dividing the family, that we won’t have any unity. She says I am disgusting for believing in Transubstantiation and that she will be ‘unequally yoked’. Last night she said that I should try and get an “annulment or something” if I wanted to be a Catholic and that I would be better off single, that our marriage was clearly a mistake and that I have become such a different person from the one she married.
I just don’t know what to do. I am off today on the Bishop’s retreat day the diocese does for those on the RCIA - she has told me to go on it and maybe “get some insight”. I feel utterly at a loss and have no solution here. It seems the choice is my conscience or my marriage, and as I have vows to keep already then I guess my marriage needs to come first.
My marriage has been quite difficult for some time, but it has just got so much worse. I have felt called to communion with the Catholic Church for years, but put it off as my wife just wasn’t comfortable with it at all. However a few years ago her heart softened towards the Church - she came across Catholics and Catholic blogs that really changed her perception. I started towards the path of reception a year ago but put it off as she really wasn’t happy. Then, in the autumn she said to me that if I really felt called to this I should slowly explore it. I started going to the RCIA classes and met with a great local priest who has been very helpful, and my wife attended the classes with me. It all seemed fine and going in the right direction until this week. She has utterly freaked out and has said that I am dividing the family, that we won’t have any unity. She says I am disgusting for believing in Transubstantiation and that she will be ‘unequally yoked’. Last night she said that I should try and get an “annulment or something” if I wanted to be a Catholic and that I would be better off single, that our marriage was clearly a mistake and that I have become such a different person from the one she married.
I just don’t know what to do. I am off today on the Bishop’s retreat day the diocese does for those on the RCIA - she has told me to go on it and maybe “get some insight”. I feel utterly at a loss and have no solution here. It seems the choice is my conscience or my marriage, and as I have vows to keep already then I guess my marriage needs to come first.