I try to believe in god

• Thread starter Thread starter LoganBryce
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoganBryce

I struggle with this is everyday. I was raised religious. All I care about is god. I love the bible and jesus. I read catholic authors. I teach my kids about god. I pray a lot. I try to live by the bible. But at the end of the day I want to believe but my mind tells me I don’t. But even if my doubts never go away I’ll try to believe until the day I die. So would I go to hell for this?

Of course not-it sounds like you’re living as though you do believe. Sometimes our head is sort of dull, or afraid, or doubtful, and proud, while our hearts are willing and already faithful, already knowledgeable about God. Keep seeking Him, keep praying-He’ll reveal Himself increasingly more and more.

Last edited:
I think at one time or another all our minds wander into doubt. During these times, just like the man in
Luke 9:24, we can cry out to Jesus, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.”

Last edited:
Thank y’all. I love the help my unbelief verse. It’s just weird. I end all of my prayers with “I love you father, i love you jesus, i love you by spirit.” And I do I just feel as if god does not make sense sometimes and there is a better explanation but I try my best to ignore these thoughts and seek god more. It seems believing is easy for some people and honestly sometimes I’m jealous.

Whenever I have to convince myself logically that it all Really Is True, I think about all the bible prophecy which has actually come to pass. Prophecy about the birth, suffering and death of Jesus, hundreds–sometimes thousands–of years before it happened. Prophecy about calling Israel back to their own land–which happened in 1948. Things like that. It all really is true–we have seen it fulfilled.

Yes. I know logically he makes sense. Like I said I try to believe. But at the end of the day I can’t see him. I’ll still keep trying. Forever.

Ah. I see.
Well how many can say they have no doubt of God’s existence at all? Even Saints when they were on earth?😊

Not only that how do you know that what your experiencing isn’t a dream right now?
🙂

Don’t be too hard on yourself.
Try asking for Apostle Thomas for his intercession.🙂

I will try that. Thank you. For context, I was raised a Baptist. I was around preachers saying " you have to know that you believe 100%", “you have to know you’re saved.” “When you’re saved, you’ll know it.” Not that I believe this, but things from child are burnt in your brain and make you question.

That’s a tough one—belief in God’s existence. For me the things that come to mind are creation, plants, animal behavior and even the Fibonacci sequence ratios in nature, DNA—and I can go on—these things show that from a mathematical perspective there must be some preordained blueprint for life on Earth designed by God.

Darwin had doubted God, yet stated that there is a wonder in life.

Why are you worried about Hell? Yes, we fall to sin, but what is important is trying to keep trying to be like Christ.

You are saved at Baptism and you should live in hope of being redeemed.

Follow the Ten Commandments, the 5 precepts of the Church and receive the sacraments and live with JOY and spreading that joy to others.

It’s good that you read the Bible. Keep that up. That intself is a prayer.

I struggle with this is everyday. I was raised religious. All I care about is god. I love the bible and jesus. I read catholic authors. I teach my kids about god. I pray a lot. I try to live by the bible. But at the end of the day I want to believe but my mind tells me I don’t. But even if my doubts never go away I’ll try to believe until the day I die. So would I go to hell for this?
I wouldn’t worry about it. If you live your life well, then you’re going to get the tick of approval. Two thirds of the planet do not believe in God and I’m sure He doesn’t intend sending them all to hell.

Because faith in God is an act of the will, it seems highly unlikely that it is a mortal sin or even a venial sin. People such as St Mother Teresa experienced frequent lack of belief.

And while doubts might sometimes comes in waves, technically there is always room for it. Even if a giant angel appeared in the sky and wrote “Jesus is Lord” across the clouds for everybody around the world to see, that isn’t in anyway proof of God’s existence.

Yes. I know logically he makes sense. Like I said I try to believe. But at the end of the day I can’t see him. I’ll still keep trying. Forever.
I empathize with you as there are definitely times when it’s hard for me to feel the belief. But at the same time I know we don’t control our emotions. So even though I may feel like I’m just talking to air when praying or just eating a piece of bread at Eucharist, I remind myself that I’m not talking to air and I’m not just eating an ordinary piece of bread.

Edit: It’s those conscious acts that I can control. I can’t choose whether not I feel belief. But I can choose to believe.

Last edited:
Sometimes we go through a period where we know stuff with our head, but we don’t really feel it in our heart.

But we keep on doing what we’re supposed to do, and trust God to take care of the rest.

Sometimes, God gives us little soul-presents where we say “Ahhh!” and recognize God’s hand at work, and that carries us through. We’re happy when we run into those occasions, but we don’t demand them. 🙂 God has already done so much for us, we don’t want to be the kind of person who hinges their love on what someone else has done for them in the last five minutes. 😛

I think there are two types of people who struggle with belief. Polar opposites if you will. One type has a faith of God “in their gut”, but has never studied seriously the existence of God and the truth of the faith intellectually, going from A to Z, perhaps similar to “Mere Christianity”. So when their gut feeling starts to waiver, they do not know what to fall back on.

The other type has convinced themselves intellectually the God exists and that the faith is true. But they do not have that strong heart-felt faith.

Both are on their path to holiness. Conversion is a life-long process (yea, you were not taught this as a Baptist, I know). I tend to be the latter, it sounds like you are too.

Don’t despair. Keep moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back