I try to believe in god

• Thread starter Thread starter LoganBryce
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have often felt the same way. I know it can be a struggle. I like to think God cares more about our actions, choices of our free will, than what we feel is true. That does not mean it is not a significant temptation against living a faithful life.

Keep doing what you’re doing. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. God bless you for passing the faith on to your children and continuing on your journey with God despite your doubts.

For more than fifty years following her initial visions and locutions, Mother Teresa was wrapped in a dark, pitiless silence.

She only once more heard the voice of God, and she believed the doors of heaven had been closed and bolted against her. The more she longed for some sign of his presence, the more empty and desolate she became.

We always saw her smiling. She had a playful smile, mischievous, as if privy to some secret joke. Especially when she was around children, she beamed with delight. In private, she had a quick, self-deprecating sense of humor, and sometimes doubled over from laughing so hard. So many people who spent time with her came away saying that she was the most joyful person they had ever met.

Now we know that in secret her life was a living hell. As she confided to her spiritual director in 1957:
In the darkness . . . Lord, my God, who am I that you should forsake me? The child of your love — and now become as the most hated one. The one — you have thrown away as unwanted — unloved. I call, I cling, I want, and there is no one to answer . . . Where I try to raise my thoughts to heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul. Love — the word — it brings nothing. I am told God lives in me — and yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul.
Mother Teresa lived in a spiritual desert, panicked that God had rejected her, or worse, that he was there in the dark hiding from her. As if by some strange formula, the greater her success and public adulation, the more abandoned, humiliated, and desperate she felt.

There was a brief period, one month in 1958, when she was able to pierce the darkness. Her light came during a requiem Mass celebrated the day after the death of Pope Pius XII, the pope who had granted her permission to leave Loreto and go among the poor.

“There and then disappeared that long darkness, that pain of loss, of loneliness, of that strange suffering of ten years,” she wrote. “Today my soul is filled with love, with joy untold, with an unbroken union of love.” Four weeks later, the darkness had descended: “He is gone again, leaving me alone.” She lived in this darkness until the end of her life.

Other saints have told of their spiritual torments and feelings of abandonment by God. In the sixteenth century, St. John of the Cross described the experience as “the dark night of the soul.” But we would be hard-pressed to find another saint who suffered a darkness so thick or a night so long as Mother Teresa suffered.

John of the Cross and others wrote poems and spiritual canticles to describe their sufferings in God’s absence and their frustrated longings for the embrace of his love. Mother Teresa never did. In fact, only her spiritual directors knew of her anguish.

Unlike you, I am a cradle Catholic, and was fortunate to be have some a few pretty good religious teachers growing up. I never doubted it was all true growing up. Then I went to a secular college. Still never really doubted the faith during college, although I was certainly not a very devout Catholic, you could say I was extremely lukewarm. Got out of college and then started questioning what it was all about. Well, it was too ingrained from my youth to just walk away, so I decided it was time to figure out what I really believed. So I started studying the faith on my own, quite a bit. At some point I realized, on a purely intellectual basis, “this all makes a whole lot of sense”. I remember being like the young Sebastian in Brisdeshead Revisited when Charles asked him “you don’t really believe all that superstitious stuff, do you?” and he replied something along the lines of “the really frightening thing is, its all true”. To realize its all true and not have that deep feeling of faith is rather frightening (ok, I was never as decadent as Sebastian).

So I kept at it. And still it hits me at times: all those materialists and athiests, perhaps they are on to something. I only have to thing a few moments to realize they are not, yet the feeling of just not having enough faith lingers. So I keep at it, or at least I try to.

Last edited:
I like a good religious movie - every now and then -
" Song of Bernadette " - "Joan of Arc " - " Our Lady of Fatima "
Great movies such as that - that stir up the spirit.

Also - " All About The Angels " - is a great little book.

Maybe you need your mind to approach the subject differently. Play the ‘no God’ scenario in your mind. Then you are a being in a material world, final destination is cosmic dust. Then nothing you do in this life matters. Can your mind accept that? Let it struggle with that for a while. You will realize God exists and also an afterlife and you have to be prepared for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back