I will be the only Catholic in my family

  • Thread starter Thread starter andyklein
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyklein

Guest
I will officially be Catholic in about five or six months, but I will be the only one in my family. (I actually do have a few Catholic aunts and uncles and cousins, but I hardly ever see them.) My family is not really religious. My parents are “Christian,” but only nominally. When I was growing up religion was not something we talked about and seemed to make things awkward if it ever came up. I am sure some people here have similar backgrounds. If you do, how did you and your family handle your becoming Catholic?

I actually have not told anyone in my family that I am going to be Catholic soon. They don’t even know that I have been exploring religion for quite some time. How could I tell them in the least awkward and most subtle way possible?
 
I’m the only one in mine. You just have to stay true to the church no matter how they react. Remember what the Lord said about leaving family to follow him.

I can’t predict how yours will react. I do know that while mine never outwardly disapproved, the simple fact of them not believing and being more worldly and thinking some of my beliefs are far out could cause me doubt. Stay strong and be charitable.
 
You’re not alone. Jesus always suffered within his own people because they couldn’t understand (The Pharisees).
 
I can empathize-I am also in RCIA and I will be the only one in my immediate family and and in my broader family have one aunt/uncle who are practicing Catholics. My immediate family is not particularly observant (we were raised Methodist).

I am blessed to have loving parents who support me even if they do not agree. They are not opposed to Catholicism in general but have issues with its authority (ex: authority to specify how Catholics are wed or no meat on Fridays).

As for telling them, you might find a way to mention RCIA when sharing about your week as a way to raise the subject.

Prayers for you on the journey!
 
I actually have not told anyone in my family that I am going to be Catholic soon. They don’t even know that I have been exploring religion for quite some time. How could I tell them in the least awkward and most subtle way possible?
This is great to hear. I’m proud of you! My situation is quite the opposite. My parents are Catholic (and so am I) except for my older siblings and some parts of my dad’s and mom’s side of the family. My 3 older siblings left the Catholic Church a long time ago.

Hmmmm…How about calling in a family meeting? Or straight up tell them while you and your family are eating dinner together (if you do).

If they keep straying away from the topic when you tell them, just keep saying it to them until they decided to talk back (It’s how I get peoples attention). Stand your ground.

Good luck!
 
Are you living at home or on your own?
The reason I ask is that if you are on your own, it’s none of their business really. You can save yourself some grief by not bringing it up. Becoming Catholic is often not well supported by family members so it’s really up to you if you want to put yourself through that and when.

I was living at home when I came into the Church and it seemed like everyone’s baggage with the Church fell on me to reply, respond, explain. When you’re just learning, that can be quite a rocky boat to live with.
 
Im in the same boat your in. Ill be the only Catholic in my family. But luckily they are very supportive of my decision. They even bought me my first rosary lol. Dont hide it you never know they may be glad for you. But im sure theyll at least be slightly annoyed that you hid it from them when they finally do find out. Who knows they even may go to Mass with you occasionally mine do from time to time.
 
Are you living at home or on your own?
The reason I ask is that if you are on your own, it’s none of their business really. You can save yourself some grief by not bringing it up. Becoming Catholic is often not well supported by family members so it’s really up to you if you want to put yourself through that and when.

I was living at home when I came into the Church and it seemed like everyone’s baggage with the Church fell on me to reply, respond, explain. When you’re just learning, that can be quite a rocky boat to live with.
AMEN! Im dealing with this right now, honestly just leave them in Gods hands though. Jesus said do not give that which is Holy to dogs. I know its harsh and Im sure you love youre family. But your relationship with God is more important so you dont want to let them interfere with that. Im by no means saying disown youre family, just try to keep it out of conversation, just be a role model to them if you are gonna tell them. keep praying about it though and try to keep you in my prayers.
 
If I do decide to keep it to myself, how bizarre would it be when I tell them on my wedding day, “Oh yeah, I’ve been a Catholic for seven years?”
 
Welcome home!

🙂

My husband and I are the only ones in our whole family with the exception of my very elderly Grandmother and his elderly great aunt.
 
AMEN! Im dealing with this right now, honestly just leave them in Gods hands though. Jesus said do not give that which is Holy to dogs. I know its harsh and Im sure you love youre family. But your relationship with God is more important so you dont want to let them interfere with that. Im by no means saying disown youre family, just try to keep it out of conversation, just be a role model to them if you are gonna tell them. keep praying about it though and try to keep you in my prayers.
I was totally honest with my family and it went ok. My family is either baptist or agnostic.
Although I have an uncle who makes anti-catholic cracks. I think the above advice is pretty
solid.
 
My young daughter and I are going through RCIA right now. My family are mainly Baptist, Methodist, Jewish, and non-denom. All of my in-laws are Roman Catholic, lapsed. My friends are everything from Atheist to Wiccan, etc.

You’re not alone! :hug1:
 
I will officially be Catholic in about five or six months, but I will be the only one in my family. (I actually do have a few Catholic aunts and uncles and cousins, but I hardly ever see them.) My family is not really religious. My parents are “Christian,” but only nominally. When I was growing up religion was not something we talked about and seemed to make things awkward if it ever came up. I am sure some people here have similar backgrounds. If you do, how did you and your family handle your becoming Catholic?

I actually have not told anyone in my family that I am going to be Catholic soon. They don’t even know that I have been exploring religion for quite some time. How could I tell them in the least awkward and most subtle way possible?
Well, I am also the only Catholic in my family. Literally the only one, everyone else is either Evangelical or non-religious. My Evangelical family flipped out when I started looking into Catholicism, most (other than my one cousin and my Mom) don’t consider me a Christian anymore and my sister especially is trying to convert me back. I didn’t talk to any of them about it, but it really is just a matter of time before your family will find out. You may as well just tell them directly. Just tell them that you have been exploring religion and have decided that you want to become a Catholic. They will handle it how they handle it, just be open and honest with them.
 
Firstly, welcome!
I actually have not told anyone in my family that I am going to be Catholic soon. They don’t even know that I have been exploring religion for quite some time. How could I tell them in the least awkward and most subtle way possible?
Andyklein, you know your family best, you have been given a variety of possible reactions from others in similar positions, and are the only one who can possibly guess what your own family’s reaction is likely to be, that knowledge should guide you in making a decision. I have said “possible reactions” because they could react very differently from what you expect.
I can empathize-I am also in RCIA and I will be the only one in my immediate family and and in my broader family have one aunt/uncle who are practicing Catholics. My immediate family is not particularly observant (we were raised Methodist).

I am blessed to have loving parents who support me even if they do not agree. They are not opposed to Catholicism in general but have issues with its authority (ex: authority to specify how Catholics are wed or no meat on Fridays).

As for telling them, you might find a way to mention RCIA when sharing about your week as a way to raise the subject.

Prayers for you on the journey!
Im in the same boat your in. Ill be the only Catholic in my family. But luckily they are very supportive of my decision. They even bought me my first rosary lol. Dont hide it you never know they may be glad for you. But im sure theyll at least be slightly annoyed that you hid it from them when they finally do find out. Who knows they even may go to Mass with you occasionally mine do from time to time.
AMEN! Im dealing with this right now, honestly just leave them in Gods hands though. Jesus said do not give that which is Holy to dogs. I know its harsh and Im sure you love youre family. But your relationship with God is more important so you dont want to let them interfere with that. Im by no means saying disown youre family, just try to keep it out of conversation, just be a role model to them if you are gonna tell them. keep praying about it though and try to keep you in my prayers.
These are all good scenarios, but give some serious thought to the possibility of what PennyinCanada writes, as this may also be what you have to deal with in your family.
Are you living at home or on your own?
The reason I ask is that if you are on your own, it’s none of their business really. You can save yourself some grief by not bringing it up. Becoming Catholic is often not well supported by family members so it’s really up to you if you want to put yourself through that and when.

I was living at home when I came into the Church and it seemed like everyone’s baggage with the Church fell on me to reply, respond, explain. When you’re just learning, that can be quite a rocky boat to live with.
 
If I do decide to keep it to myself, how bizarre would it be when I tell them on my wedding day, “Oh yeah, I’ve been a Catholic for seven years?”
You might consider letting them know that they can attend the Easter service at your church when you become Catholic, like a week before. 😃
In my strategy, this allows you to learn about the Catholic faith, until then, in peace. 👍 You’ll have plenty of years to defend the truth.

Welcome home! I hope you can connect with some wonderful new people in the Church and make new friends. Personally, I really enjoyed meeting some home school families and finding out what their life is like. My parents had 2 kids and got sterilized and the idea that more than 3 kids was fine and a blessing from God was a new idea to me. I saw an older brother take his younger brother by the hand to go to the bathroom at Church. Even that was a shocking revelation to me since my brother was a bully, and ‘that’s just what boys do’. What a great education in family life to visit home schoolers! Loved it. Soaked it in and pushed the ‘other stuff’ out. lol
 
I converted to the faith at 19 and was the only Catholic in my family (or practicing Christian even). Then I met my Catholic husband and we have three Catholic children so if you are called to the vocation of marriage and look for a practicing Catholic spouse you won’t remain the “only” Catholic for long 😉 There are now 5x as many Catholics in my family due to God’ grace!!!
 
I will officially be Catholic in about five or six months, but I will be the only one in my family. (I actually do have a few Catholic aunts and uncles and cousins, but I hardly ever see them.) My family is not really religious. My parents are “Christian,” but only nominally. When I was growing up religion was not something we talked about and seemed to make things awkward if it ever came up. I am sure some people here have similar backgrounds. If you do, how did you and your family handle your becoming Catholic?

I actually have not told anyone in my family that I am going to be Catholic soon. They don’t even know that I have been exploring religion for quite some time. How could I tell them in the least awkward and most subtle way possible?
I would not make it a “big deal.” No huge family meeting or anything. God knows, they might fear you are going to tell them you’re gay or something!! :eek:

I would just let your faith percolate through your life. As you learn more about the Church, and start to take on all aspects of your faith, your way of speaking, topics you discuss, and especially your actions, will tell the story for you. You’ll probably find yourself mentioning Mass or Father’s homily last week or what the Gospel said on Sunday, because they will be a part of your life. Or, you might find yourself mentioning wanting to teach Religious Ed. or whatever.

Don’t make a huge effort to explain, but don’t shy away from discussing it, either. It’s a balance. And pick your audience - some people might be more hostile and start attacking and a new Catholic might not have his/her armor on tightly enough to be shielded from the venom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top