M
Marc_Anthony
Guest
When Protestants pull up the old line that veneration of sacred icons is the same as idol worship, I always respond with, “Idols are anything that takes God’s place. Sacred icons are merely representations of God or Holy People. We’re not worshipping the icons themselves, we’re worshipping what they represent.”
But then I thought of something. This verse:
Exodus 32:8
They have turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making for themselves a molten calf and worshipping it, sacrificing to it and crying out, “This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!”
The footnote in my Bible about this says:
“From this it is clear that the golden calf was intended as an image, not of a flase god, but of the Lord himself, his strength being symbolized by the strength of a young bull. **The Israelites, however, had been forbidden to represent the Lord under any visible form **cf Ex 20, 4.” [Bold mine]
My Bible, the New American Bible, is Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat, so the translation is valid. My question is, by making images of the Lord, even sacred images that we’re worshipping as the Lord and not as the images themselves, doesn’t Exodus imply that this is not allowed? The Israelites worshipped the golden calf as a representation of the Lord, and yet it still was a sin.
I’m curious to hear responses.
But then I thought of something. This verse:
Exodus 32:8
They have turned aside from the way I pointed out to them, making for themselves a molten calf and worshipping it, sacrificing to it and crying out, “This is your God, O Israel, who brought you out of the land of Egypt!”
The footnote in my Bible about this says:
“From this it is clear that the golden calf was intended as an image, not of a flase god, but of the Lord himself, his strength being symbolized by the strength of a young bull. **The Israelites, however, had been forbidden to represent the Lord under any visible form **cf Ex 20, 4.” [Bold mine]
My Bible, the New American Bible, is Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat, so the translation is valid. My question is, by making images of the Lord, even sacred images that we’re worshipping as the Lord and not as the images themselves, doesn’t Exodus imply that this is not allowed? The Israelites worshipped the golden calf as a representation of the Lord, and yet it still was a sin.
I’m curious to hear responses.