Jesus says: "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. "
What do you think He was referring to when he say’s born of water?, Natural birth?
That would be equivalent to him saying that you have to be a human being to enter the kingdom - as opposed to being an animal or something else - which seems unnecessary. It seems more natural to read his words as meaning that you have to be “born of water” in some deeper sense.
In Ezikiel 36:25-26 which fortells baptism:
I will sprinkle clean water upon you to cleanse you from all your impurities, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you, taking from your bodies your stony hearts and giving you natural hearts.
This passage expresses exactly what we Catholics believe takes place in baptism. We sprinkle water on the person and God gives that person a new heart. We don’t believe that the water has some inherent power to forgive, but that Christ’s presence in the water is what brings about the forgiveness. The water is a symbol, but it is also more than a symbol. Otherwise what Anaias said to Paul makes no sence, “be baptized and wash away your sins.”
If you read the
Early Church Fathers they will tie John chapter 3 to baptism, so this would indicate to me that the early Christians believed Baptism to be more than a symbol.