If I were the new Bishop of Saginaw, I would

• Thread starter Thread starter loyola_rambler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loyola_rambler

My wayward little diocese, very rural, underpopulated and spread over an area roughly the size of the state of New Jersey lost our beloved (albeit highly “progressive”) bishop early this year. Soon we should be hearing about his replacement. But in the interim, it may be nice to figure out what lay before the new bishop and where the clean up needs to start.

So please consider the question and answer as much as you like:

If I were the new Bishop of Saginaw, I would…

Mandate a LifeTeen Mass at every parish, institute a rule of altar girls only, employ Martha Stewart to decorate all the churches, take out all kneelers, replace all crucifixes with risen Christs, ban the organ in favor of the electric guitar.

How’s that for starters??? 😛 😉 😃

Too late…already done over the last 20 some years.

Next…

One thing’s for sure…the new bishop is going to have to go looking for a place to put his head at night. Untener sold the Bishop’s mansion over 20 years ago, so the new bishop will have to find a room somewhere…unless he wants to keep up the tradition of living from rectory to rectory/parish to parish for the rest of his life.

Not that they do them in order, but Saginaw needs to wait until Alexandria, Wichita, LaCrosse, Sioux City, and Harrisburg get theirs.

John

John Higgins:
Not that they do them in order, but Saginaw needs to wait until Alexandria, Wichita, LaCrosse, Sioux City, and Harrisburg get theirs.

John
Yes please! Waiting patiently in Harrisburg for the successor of our beloved Bishop Datillo. We can only hope and pray for another Bishop Datillo or Cardinal Keeler.

loyola rambler:
So please consider the question and answer as much as you like:

If I were the new Bishop of Saginaw, I would…
Look up the affirmation statements published by Bishop Vasa of the Diocese of Baker, Oregon.

Any pastor or layity in a ministry must affirm or be removed. You will probably lose have of your current “Catholic” membership. I am familiar with your problem (I live in Brighton)

But by the time you get to vote again in 2008, you may well be ahead in numbers, and well on your way to great vocations. We pray often for a good bishop…one whose actions and discipline might rub off on our Bishop Mengeling.

God Bless

MrS

Not to be contrary to my fellow Catholics, but some dioceses are in such spiritual trauma that they might need a new shepherd much faster than others, regardless of the length of wait. Kind of like episcopal triage…

I would import the Bishop of Reno, NV, then sit back and let him go to work.

I would reinstate the Traditional Latin Mass. This would the only Mass allowed!!! I would shut down the downtown streets for Corpus Christi and other holidays for magnificent processions. I would incardinate SSPX priests into the diocese. I would shut down liberal Catholic institutions. I would have sinners on their knees asking for repentence. I would bring all the priests in for deliberalization and demodernization. These are just some things I would do.

40.png
WhiteDove:
Mandate a LifeTeen Mass at every parish, institute a rule of altar girls only, employ Martha Stewart to decorate all the churches, take out all kneelers, replace all crucifixes with risen Christs, ban the organ in favor of the electric guitar.

How’s that for starters??? 😛 😉 😃
I can only say :bigyikes:

loyola rambler:
Not to be contrary to my fellow Catholics, but some dioceses are in such spiritual trauma that they might need a new shepherd much faster than others, regardless of the length of wait. Kind of like episcopal triage…
Very true.
Richmond Virginia received their bishop this past May, after waiting almost a year.
One of his first actions was to remove from “office” an individual who supported the women priest movement. (Sadly, this is still a large movement.)

A good first step I think, and something I’d recommend for any new Bishop.

Hi, all:
Couldn’t pass this one up!!!
Loyola, “Episcopal Triage”. That can’t be topped, although -
Catholic Eagle just about did “deliberalization”.
You all are too good. My question now, is “do we have to go to confession for such thoughts? Do you know HOW difficult it is now to find Priests who will “hear” confessions” My hat (and I do wear one) is off to my “former” town and Parish where there the Sacrament was available almost every morning and noon before Mass. God bless them!!!
Our Lady, refuge of sinners, pray for us.
Peace on earth to men of good will.
LaVada

Not allow a non-ordained lay person to give the homily - especially when the priest is sitting in the first row just listening. :confused: Happens quite often at our church. Now that’s not seen in the new GIRM - at least in the copy I have.
MBS1

John Higgins:

John
Don’t forget Grand Rapids (but they’re probably behind you lin line).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back