If the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son, then why Saint John 15:26 says that the Paracletus proceeds from the Father alone?

• Thread starter Thread starter shliahgaossimyacob27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
it is substantiated by scripture.
Jesus said that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. That is what I read in Scripture. Jesus did not say the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son.
John 15: 26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. That is what I read in Scripture. Jesus did not say the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son.
John 15: 26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father , He will testify of Me."
In two separate verses Jesus states that the Holy Spirit proceeds at the behest of the Father and the Son. We showed those verses above. The issue is not the location, the issue is who sent the Holy Spirit.

“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me…” John 15:26

“But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.” John 16:7

That is what the filioque clause confesses, and that is why it is not heretical given the proper understanding of what is being confessed by that clause.

Last edited:
Tagging this thread, so I can give some NT evidence from St. John for the Filioque later in the week.

In two separate verses Jesus states that the Holy Spirit proceeds at the behest of the Father and the Son. We showed those verses above.
I don’t see the word proceeding being used in those verses. Sending is not the same word as proceeding.
Where does Jesus use the word proceeding and say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and proceeds from the Son?
Sending and proceeding from are not the same. They are two different concepts as explained above.

On the contrary, jesus says that the Holy Spirit proceeds from

I don’t see the word proceeding being used in those verses. Sending is not the same word as proceeding.
The word translated as send means to dispatch from the subjective view of departure. In other words, if I am sending you, you are departing from me. This word is also used to mean to send forth to perform a temporary errand. Proceed means to depart from, to go forth from. In one statement he says when the helper comes whom I will send to you from the Father, in the other case the Holy Spirit will not come unless Jesus goes and sends Him. They are not two different concepts. Jesus links the two explicitly in the two verses I provided.

Last edited:
Jesus links the two explicitly in the two verses I provided.
He might be linking things, but in my Bible Jesus does not say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son. And BTW, AFAIK, the Orthodox Church does not accept your explanation, but uses the Nicene Constantinople creed as it was originally written, without adding the filioque.
Proceed from means originate from.
Send means to cause to go to a particular location.
They are not the same. If they are the same, as you claim they are why do they have two different definitions?
Why did the original Nicene Constantinople creed say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father? Is it not because that is what Jesus said? Why change the words which Jesus said? After all, Jesus is the Second Person of the Trinity and is it not better to use the wording the Jesus used instead of changing it to something else?

They are not the same. If they are the same, as you claim they are why do they have two different definitions?
I didn’t say they are the same, I said they are not two different concepts and that Jesus explicitly links them. Although, since Jesus had to return to his Father, the point of origin to which you are referring, to send the Holy Spirit, then by logic the Holy Spirit does proceed from the Father and the Son. And yes, this is consistent with what Jesus said.
And BTW, AFAIK, the Orthodox Church does not accept your explanation, but uses the Nicene Constantinople creed as it was originally written, without adding the filioque.
I didn’t say they did. I said there is nothing heretical about the filioque clause and that I have no issue with confessing it because it is true. As I also said though, I am sympathetic to the argument that the creed should have been revised via ecumenical council.

Why did the original Nicene Constantinople creed say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father? Is it not because that is what Jesus said?
And yet you confess that the Father and the Son are of the same substance, which wording is found nowhere in scripture, yet completely consistent with the teaching of scripture. The issue is whether this teaching is consistent with scripture, and as demonstrated above, it is.

Last edited:
The issue is whether this teaching is consistent with scripture, and as demonstrated above, it is.
I don’t see why I should not use the words that Jesus spoke and not add anything to it? If the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son, why did Jesus say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father?

Again, you already confess that the Father and the Son are of the same substance. Show me the verse where Jesus says this. So you don’t have any ground in saying that you cannot confess a teaching that is not an explicit quote from scripture if the teaching is found in scripture.

What Jesus said is I am going to the Father, and I am sending to you the Holy Spirit, which is consistent with what the filioque clause confesses. Also, I am not saying you have to add the filioque clause to the creed. I am saying that I have no issues confessing the filioque because it is not heretical, and have already stated that I am sympathetic to the Eastern Orthodox objection to the fact that the filioque was not added through ecumenical council. My initial responses were to the claim that the filioque clause is somehow heretical, which it clearly isn’t from a grammatical or theological standpoint.

Last edited:
40.png
Hodos:
In two separate verses Jesus states that the Holy Spirit proceeds at the behest of the Father and the Son. We showed those verses above.
Where does Jesus use the word proceeding and say that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and proceeds from the Son?
Sending and proceeding from are not the same. They are two different concepts as explained above.

On the contrary, jesus says that the Holy Spirit proceeds from
This, my friend is where the translation issue comes into play.

The word proceed in Greek means only source. But in Latin, the word has multiple meanings.

So a dynamic translation of the Latin Filioque into English could be “Originates from the Father and sent by the Son”

This, my friend is where the translation issue comes into play.

The word proceed in Greek means only source. But in Latin, the word has multiple meanings.
The word in Greek has several meanings. In fact I had several to choose from in the accordance and lexicons I checked. This is why I keep telling you that you are ignorant on the linguistic issues.

Nestle-Aland 28th edition says it means to go or come out. Strong’s Accordance says it means to depart, be discharged, proceed, project, come (forth, out of), depart, go (forth, out), proceed (out of). Thayer’s states it means to make to go forth, to go forth, go out, depart. BDAG says it means to go from, or out of a place, depart from.

It’s not that complicated. It communicates that something was sent forth or departed from. The from can mean either a place of origin, or in the case of Christ’s statements about the Holy Spirit, from whom or at whose command the Holy Spirit departs.

The word in Greek has several meanings. In fact I had several to choose from in the accordance and lexicons I checked.
I think it’s worth consulting a theological dictionary in order to examine the nuances of terminology in Nicene and Patristic usage, especially within an Eastern theological setting. For example in Lampe’s Patristic Greek Lexicon, one can find a plethora of words derived from ἑκπορεύεσθαι including ἐκπορευτής, ἐκπορευτικός, ἐκπορευτικῶς, etc. Very useful is a citation of ἐκπορευτής to Leontius Hierosolymitanus (6th century) and his Contra Nestorianos:
ὁ Πατὴρ τε γὰρ Λόγου ἐστὶ γεννήτωρ καὶ ἀγέννητος καὶ ἐκπορευτὴς Πνεύματος ἁγίου. Καὶ ὁ Υἰὸς γεννητὸς καὶ Λόγος καὶ διαπορθμευτὴς τοῦ ἁγιοῦ Πνεύματος.
Leontius uses ἐκπορευτής in the sense of ‘one who causes or is the source (ἡ ἀρχή) of ἐκπορεύεσθαι’. Important to note that he does not apply the same term to the Son, but instead uses διαπορθμευτής.

Last edited:
So a dynamic translation of the Latin Filioque into English could be “Originates from the Father and sent by the Son”
I don’t think so at least according to both the Council of Lyons II and according to Denzinger
we read that “the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son, not as from two principles but as from one single principle”.
I don’t see where sending is part of the teaching ? It is proceeding eternally, is it not?
Denzinger, Heinrich; Hünermann, Peter; et al., eds. (2012). “Compendium of Creeds, Definitions, and Declarations on Matters of Faith and Morals”.

40.png
phil19034:
I don’t think so at least according to both the Council of Lyons II and according to Denzinger
we read that “the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son, not as from two principles but as from one single principle”.
I don’t see where sending is part of the teaching ? It is proceeding eternally, is it not?
Denzinger, Heinrich; Hünermann, Peter; et al., eds. (2012). “Compendium of Creeds, Definitions, and Declarations on Matters of Faith and Morals”.
John 16:7
John 14:26
John 15:26

Not to mention all the verses about Jesus Baptizing with The Holy Spirit.

It says " If…, then I will send Him to you."
Will send denotes an action which will happen in the future. AFAIK, that is not the Roman Catholic teaching on the filioque. The Roman Catholic teaching AFAIK says that the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son, not that the Son will send the Holy Spirit sometime in the future.
Please read
  1. the Council of Lyons II and
  2. Denzinger, Heinrich; Hünermann, Peter; et al., eds. (2012). “Compendium of Creeds, Definitions, and Declarations on Matters of Faith and Morals”.

Last edited:
40.png
phil19034:
It says " If…, then I will send Him to you."
Will send denotes an action which will happen in the future. AFAIK, that is not the Roman Catholic teaching on the filioque. The Roman Catholic teaching AFAIK says that the Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son, not that the Son will send the Holy Spirit sometime in the future.
Please read
  1. the Council of Lyons II and
  2. Denzinger, Heinrich; Hünermann, Peter; et al., eds. (2012). “Compendium of Creeds, Definitions, and Declarations on Matters of Faith and Morals”.
The best analogy I’ve heard this explained is like this (from Catholic Answers).
  • The Father says to the Son, “let’s play catch.”
  • The Father throws the ball to The Son, The Son catches it and throws it back.
  • The ball moving back and forth is The Holy Spirit.
The Father is the ultimate, primary source of The Holy Spirit. However, The Father needs the cooperation of The Son in order to for The Holy Spirit to be sent.

Another example: The Holy Spirit is the Love God the Father has for His Son & the Love that God the Son has for His Father.

But they are BOTH eternally.

The Father & the Holy Spirit were BOTH needed to incarnate God the Son.

However, both God the Father & God the Son are both needed to send the Holy Spirit to Earth.

Someone once said (and I’m not sure if this doctrine or not) that only one member of the Holy Trinity can be on Earth at one time.
  • When God the Father was walking though Eden with Adam & Even, God the Son & the Holy Spirit were in Heaven
  • When Jesus on was on Earth, God the Father & God the Spirit were both in Heaven.
  • And ever since Pentecost, God the Father & God the Son have been in Heaven & the Holy Spirit has been on Earth. The only exception is Jesus being Physically present thought the Holy Eucharist.
God Bless

The Father is the ultimate, primary source of The Holy Spirit. However, The Father needs the cooperation of The Son in order to for The Holy Spirit to be sent.
This is why Orthodox Christians teach that the Holy spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back