T
Thomas_Jennings
Guest
If you saw my last few posts, you will be familiar with this line of thought…working my way towards belief in it…
I love the idea God is the infinite source of all existing things. It means that, whatever we love (in my case art, fictional monsters, film and literature) have their fulfillment in seeing the Lord.
But, as someone replied when I asked if it was part of Curch teaching; “I don’t know if it’s been “officially” taught, but certainly according to mainstream theology God is infinite goodness.”
I have researched Aquinas and Boethus. I am also familiar with Plato’s the Forms (which is where the idea came from in the first place). But, though I long to believe it, it doesn’t make any credible sense to me.
There is nothing Biblical (well, there is when it comes to ‘nature’ and ‘the World’ reflecting God- but not ‘idea’, and since my longing came through Tolkien and Dr Who, it is fiction that I wish to see fufilled). There is no scientific reason to suppose there is an infinitude of any existing quality. Even if one starts with the basis that God is perfect, does He have everything to an infinite degree of perfection (as a Christian friend of mine, who does not like platonist views, said: “Is the Leaning Tower of Pisa infinite structure?”). Even from a philosophical viewpoint, why assume all goods are like the ‘sunbeams’ of God and experiencing God is to experience their zenith of perfection- I’m an artist (just graduated)…my attributes as a human are not the same as those of my art! One might then argue that ‘well, your art says something about your personality’, but, firstly, that is an entirely different thing to platonist ideas…but one also might point out, if God is perfect, He can presumably create anything unrestrained by having a personality that dictates His ‘output’. And even if it does ‘say something’ about Him…infinitely? (I assume we don’t use hyperbole there).
I am willing to research this to the ends of the Earth… I really want to believe platonist views of God) but I feel partially swayed by an intelligent Christian, scientist, friend of mine who disagrees with it…and also the fact that, even the likes of the magnificent Peter Kreeft, seem to be in the same boat as I am: wanting to believe that all reflects an infinite perfecion in God- but with no greater argument than ‘its traditional to think so’ or, but ‘great men thought thus’. Hardly knock-down arguments!
And even if I could prove thus, I would want to know if all things reflect. As I have bored people silly about on this site, I have a passion for fictional monsters I’d want to be fulfilled. But how could I ever know for sure that all things reflect when only some might, here and there- how can I dismiss that possibility? There’s seemingly no logic to ‘work out’ and I’m just left with ‘go with whatever belief makes me happiest.’ Being a (quite often) pessimist about such things, I’d lay a bet its all not as I hope it is. I’m not trying to do God down (simply trying to learn what god we’re meant to believe in…my baby steps).
He never said He was infinite perfection and the perfected version of all things at that.
I love the idea God is the infinite source of all existing things. It means that, whatever we love (in my case art, fictional monsters, film and literature) have their fulfillment in seeing the Lord.
But, as someone replied when I asked if it was part of Curch teaching; “I don’t know if it’s been “officially” taught, but certainly according to mainstream theology God is infinite goodness.”
I have researched Aquinas and Boethus. I am also familiar with Plato’s the Forms (which is where the idea came from in the first place). But, though I long to believe it, it doesn’t make any credible sense to me.
There is nothing Biblical (well, there is when it comes to ‘nature’ and ‘the World’ reflecting God- but not ‘idea’, and since my longing came through Tolkien and Dr Who, it is fiction that I wish to see fufilled). There is no scientific reason to suppose there is an infinitude of any existing quality. Even if one starts with the basis that God is perfect, does He have everything to an infinite degree of perfection (as a Christian friend of mine, who does not like platonist views, said: “Is the Leaning Tower of Pisa infinite structure?”). Even from a philosophical viewpoint, why assume all goods are like the ‘sunbeams’ of God and experiencing God is to experience their zenith of perfection- I’m an artist (just graduated)…my attributes as a human are not the same as those of my art! One might then argue that ‘well, your art says something about your personality’, but, firstly, that is an entirely different thing to platonist ideas…but one also might point out, if God is perfect, He can presumably create anything unrestrained by having a personality that dictates His ‘output’. And even if it does ‘say something’ about Him…infinitely? (I assume we don’t use hyperbole there).
I am willing to research this to the ends of the Earth… I really want to believe platonist views of God) but I feel partially swayed by an intelligent Christian, scientist, friend of mine who disagrees with it…and also the fact that, even the likes of the magnificent Peter Kreeft, seem to be in the same boat as I am: wanting to believe that all reflects an infinite perfecion in God- but with no greater argument than ‘its traditional to think so’ or, but ‘great men thought thus’. Hardly knock-down arguments!
And even if I could prove thus, I would want to know if all things reflect. As I have bored people silly about on this site, I have a passion for fictional monsters I’d want to be fulfilled. But how could I ever know for sure that all things reflect when only some might, here and there- how can I dismiss that possibility? There’s seemingly no logic to ‘work out’ and I’m just left with ‘go with whatever belief makes me happiest.’ Being a (quite often) pessimist about such things, I’d lay a bet its all not as I hope it is. I’m not trying to do God down (simply trying to learn what god we’re meant to believe in…my baby steps).
He never said He was infinite perfection and the perfected version of all things at that.