If you feel resentment towards your spouse

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2HunnyBuns
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll agree with you that I probably did nag him by calling him to point out what he forgot to do. I know he doesn’t like me calling him to tell him what he didn’t do, but I was angry when I went to clear the kitchen table and couldn’t throw away the trash. I had asked him for two days to please empty the trash and every time I asked I was told he’d get to it later. In a text message I was told that I was lazy like my mother because I didn’t just empty the trash myself. (I did empty the trash and I also decided to take care of the rest of his trash related chores. I’ll probably be accused of doing it to take a cheap shot at him. In truth, I took care of it so I wouldn’t have to ask him to do it again only to have him sigh at me.) I don’t function well when I’m angry about something so for me calling him and getting it off my chest was what I needed to do to make my day move forward. It was clearly selfish of me and it didn’t make my day any better. I did apologize to him but like all of my apologies, he doesn’t think they’re sincere.

Me being a SAHM was agreed upon by both of us before we were even engaged. It’s one of the things that were were totally in agreement on and still are. As far as taking care of the house and children, we had agreed that it would be a shared effort. More often than not, that is not the reality. He does offer some help around the house, but if he’s not in the mood to do what I need help with, or its a chore he doesn’t want to do he simply won’t do it.

His parents are divorced. His mother left his father for someone she met on the internet about 12 years ago. His father didn’t want the divorce. When they were married they seemed to be very happy with one another and they didn’t argue like my parents (who are still married) did.
*I just noticed this post…Why is he calling you lazy? I don’t like that. 😦

It’s hard to say why he is resorting to that, except some people when angry and in ‘‘fight mode’’ don’t always fight ‘‘fair.’’ My dh and I have a ‘‘rule,’’ no hitting below the belt with comments! We stick to the issues (try to lol) and use words like…’‘I feel this way when bla bla happens.’’ Instead of ‘‘You did this and it made me angry…’’

I hope things get better.*
 
The problem is trying to force someone to do something. There needs to be incentive, I agree. But not force. In a marriage, both people love each other. If a husband is communicated with and shown that his actions are deeply hurting his spouse, he should change immediately to try to help meet her needs. If he is not persuaded to do so by seeing his discontent, then counselling is needed.

Men are…forgive me, stubborn creatures. At least, mine is anway. If I try to trick him or force him into doing something, he knows. He’s not stupid. And the fact that I am trying to force or trick him just makes him more angry and makes him dig in his heels. If I ask him, talk to him, or tell him that he’s hurting me, he is much more receptive.

If you are declaring war on a spouse, the only casualty will be your marriage. Problems don’t get solved, they just go away when the spouse leaves. It takes two people to have a fight. In this situation the husband is undoubtedly frustrated and stressed as well (and if he is working as a computer programmer 12+ hours a day, I have no doubt he feels overwhelmed and stressed) The ONLY way to work out these issues is to talk about them. BOTH sides need to come together and hash out frustrations, solve them, and do so in a loving manner. If this isn’t possible on their own power, there are professionals that help couples do just that.
*I agree. *
 
It was clearly selfish of me and it didn’t make my day any better. I did apologize to him but like all of my apologies, he doesn’t think they’re sincere.
I don’t see why you are being so down on yourself. Everyone would agree that it’s not right for him to put everything on you.
 
*Maybe there is something about males taking the garbage out, in general. 😛 haha My son always ‘‘forgets’’ and has to be asked over and over. 🤷 *
 
*I just noticed this post…Why is he calling you lazy? I don’t like that. 😦

It’s hard to say why he is resorting to that, except some people when angry and in ‘‘fight mode’’ don’t always fight ‘‘fair.’’ My dh and I have a ‘‘rule,’’ no hitting below the belt with comments! We stick to the issues (try to lol) and use words like…’‘I feel this way when bla bla happens.’’ Instead of ‘‘You did this and it made me angry…’’

I hope things get better.*
I actually do use “I statements” when telling him what upsets me, but that gets twisted into an argument because I took a class in college on family communication. So no matter how I try to present an issue, I must have an underlying motive. Nothing I say can be accepted at face value. The bottom line is I can’t win. I know I can’t change him (stopped trying to do that after our first year of marriage), so I have made changes and either they go unrecognized or I’m accused of doing it to make him look bad or what have you. I feel like I’m reaching a point where all I want to do is just shut down and I’m sure nothing good would result from that. When I try to broach a subject he doesn’t want to discuss he essentially puts up a wall and makes himself unavailable. The past eleven months to varying degrees have been spent like this. When talking to him didn’t work, I wrote him a letter which took me hours to write in order to properly tell him how I was feeling without putting him on the offensive. He read it, after a day on the golf course, came and found me and talked to me for 5 minutes and then acted like all the problems were solved. (They weren’t)
 
…Me being a SAHM was agreed upon by both of us before we were even engaged. It’s one of the things that were were totally in agreement on and still are. As far as taking care of the house and children, we had agreed that it would be a shared effort. More often than not, that is not the reality. He does offer some help around the house, but if he’s not in the mood to do what I need help with, or its a chore he doesn’t want to do he simply won’t do it.

His parents are divorced. His mother left his father for someone she met on the internet about 12 years ago. His father didn’t want the divorce. When they were married they seemed to be very happy with one another and they didn’t argue like my parents (who are still married) did.
I’m a SAHM too. I wonder if some of the “trashy” arguments relate to what you and your husband perceive as areas of responsibility and division of labor.

My dad always took out the trash to the curb; I see trash removal as a “traditional male” job. My husband’s dad travelled a lot and wasn’t always home on trash day; my husband saw his SAHM take the trash out. We have argued over taking out the trash. We both did it, but I wished he did it all the time.😛 We don’t argue about it much anymore since our children are older. Now I nag the kids.😉

I remember several SAHM friends with small children felt the same way, like they were doing “everything” regarding the home. Further discussions usually reveal that those “traditional husbands” did many, many “traditionally male” things for their home. Things like home repairs, car maintenance, lawn and yard duty, etc. often done after long days at work and sometimes second jobs. I don’t know you or your husband, but I encourage you to reflect on some of the things he may do besides provide a paycheck. And even if “all he does” is provide that paycheck, he’s contributing your family.
 
*Maybe there is something about males taking the garbage out, in general. 😛 haha My son always ‘‘forgets’’ and has to be asked over and over. 🤷 *
Some people may resent to garbage can or the cat’s litterbox to be in their name. 😉 I suppose, but I’m not sure, that men react better to schedules and work divisions they had a hand in designing (there’s a reason why settlements have a better rating of obedience than normal court rulings - people will abide more readily if they had a part in the decision-making). The timing can be important too (e.g. I’ve been known to react ill to out-of-the-blue requests about changing a spatial arrangement or to being reminded in advance about washing up precisely when trying to enjoy my just-made meal etc.). In a normal situation it’s possible to seat a person at a table and lay down some law together (using value *creating *methods, not value claiming - it’s not a zero sum game), but this may be very difficult with a passive-agressive player. Remarks like, “I don’t ask you to do my job for me,” or insulting the mother are totally unacceptable and they are probably a scare tactic, which some people use as a defence. Needless to say, that is totally irresponsible, but it may be caused by stress at work and great tiredness, especially in a person who is not normally utterly selfish (when I have a stream of 12-14 hour days of constant mental work I really don’t appreciate being asked to do things for people - at that stage I would prefer to share with them the money I earned instead). We can’t really tell from the limited information if the man is normally selfish or not.

Note that men, as vain creatures, may be more easily coaxed into emergency works than routine ones, or anything that justifies employing a strong male arm or a practical male mind etc. etc. :rolleyes: Conversely, arguments calling on physical strength or technical aptitude have a bigger chance of working out than almost any other form of argument. Sometimes it might be possible to give a man a more tiring or troubling thing to do if it makes him feel more important than the other task he hates.
 
I have been where the OP is, and I understand her frustrations as a former SAHM and wife of someone who worked (still works) 12-14 hour days when our children were small.

As some have said, it really is important to develop a role for yourself outside the home, even as it remains your primary responsibility, for your own sake and for that of your family. It’s not selfish to develop your own interests and goals if it makes you a happier participant in family life. Whether it’s a master’s, part-time job, or something much more limited like a hobby does not matter.

But there is another component to this: trying to understand your husband’s point of view. Twelve hour days or more are exhausting. If you think about getting extra help for yourself, such as a babysitter, also think about it for him. Get someone to do the lawn, take on handyman tasks, and make his struggles easier too.

There is a line of thinking in psychology that talks about the importance of compassion for your spouse in marriage, in both directions. Many of the professionals who lead in this work are practicing RC’s.

Give their website a look:

compassionpower.com/
 
Some people may resent to garbage can or the cat’s litterbox to be in their name. 😉 I suppose, but I’m not sure, that men react better to schedules and work divisions they had a hand in designing (there’s a reason why settlements have a better rating of obedience than normal court rulings - people will abide more readily if they had a part in the decision-making). The timing can be important too (e.g. I’ve been known to react ill to out-of-the-blue requests about changing a spatial arrangement or to being reminded in advance about washing up precisely when trying to enjoy my just-made meal etc.). In a normal situation it’s possible to seat a person at a table and lay down some law together (using value *creating *methods, not value claiming - it’s not a zero sum game), but this may be very difficult with a passive-agressive player. Remarks like, “I don’t ask you to do my job for me,” or insulting the mother are totally unacceptable and they are probably a scare tactic, which some people use as a defence. Needless to say, that is totally irresponsible, but it may be caused by stress at work and great tiredness, especially in a person who is not normally utterly selfish (when I have a stream of 12-14 hour days of constant mental work I really don’t appreciate being asked to do things for people - at that stage I would prefer to share with them the money I earned instead). We can’t really tell from the limited information if the man is normally selfish or not.

Note that men, as vain creatures, may be more easily coaxed into emergency works than routine ones, or anything that justifies employing a strong male arm or a practical male mind etc. etc. :rolleyes: Conversely, arguments calling on physical strength or technical aptitude have a bigger chance of working out than almost any other form of argument. Sometimes it might be possible to give a man a more tiring or troubling thing to do if it makes him feel more important than the other task he hates.
My son would adore you. 😛 All this 'splainin…you could have emptied ten garbage cans by now. hee hee. 😃 Gotta love your reasoning skills chev…you will make a valuable lawyer someday. :o
 
I actually do use “I statements” when telling him what upsets me, but that gets twisted into an argument because I took a class in college on family communication. So no matter how I try to present an issue, I must have an underlying motive. Nothing I say can be accepted at face value. The bottom line is I can’t win. I know I can’t change him (stopped trying to do that after our first year of marriage), so I have made changes and either they go unrecognized or I’m accused of doing it to make him look bad or what have you. I feel like I’m reaching a point where all I want to do is just shut down and I’m sure nothing good would result from that. When I try to broach a subject he doesn’t want to discuss he essentially puts up a wall and makes himself unavailable. The past eleven months to varying degrees have been spent like this. When talking to him didn’t work, I wrote him a letter which took me hours to write in order to properly tell him how I was feeling without putting him on the offensive. He read it, after a day on the golf course, came and found me and talked to me for 5 minutes and then acted like all the problems were solved. (They weren’t)
*I’m so sorry. This sounds, the more you elaborate…more along the lines of a deeper issue that your husband has (than mere forgetfulness when it comes to chores, etc) I have known couples where the wife or husband ‘‘can’t win.’’ I’m sorry, I would hope he would at least consider counseling…you can’t live a life of walking on egg shells? It seems that is almost what is happening. 😦 If counseling would help, I recommend that…it’s not fair that you are putting in so much effort, and he doesn’t seem willing to work on things that upset you. (I say ‘‘seems’’ because of course, not knowing you both, it’s hard to give a conclusive answer)

Please accept a cyber hug from me, and heartfelt prayers…*
 
My husband and I talked about the trash issue when he got home from work. Clearly, my call this morning was seen as nagging. He was sitting in traffic due to an accident while I was calling him to complain about a trash can that was in another state. So I see his point that calling him to freak out about the trash can served no purpose other than getting him upset and me venting my frustration. I’ve been calling him and ranting like this at least a few times a month for years, so I’m sure that’s not much fun to be on the receiving end of. I think going forward I’m going to try to calm down and look at the situation differently before I pick up the phone to freak out on him. Apparently my tone as soon as I said hello to him tipped him off that it was going to be another ranting phone call from me. 😊

I did explain to him that I take it personally when he forgets the take out the trash. I don’t know why, but I feel like he’s telling me he doesn’t value me or my feelings when he fails to do something I asked. We also talked about how his comments about my parents tossed into our disagreements upsets me.

We managed to rationally discuss a few of the incredibly small issues that I tend to dwell on and how they make me feel. So here’s hoping things will get better.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Some of you helped me to see the situation from his side, and I think that was very important. When I feel hurt or wronged I generally start to think of only myself and that’s probably not the best way to approach situations in a marriage.
 
My husband and I talked about the trash issue when he got home from work. Clearly, my call this morning was seen as nagging. He was sitting in traffic due to an accident while I was calling him to complain about a trash can that was in another state. So I see his point that calling him to freak out about the trash can served no purpose other than getting him upset and me venting my frustration. I’ve been calling him and ranting like this at least a few times a month for years, so I’m sure that’s not much fun to be on the receiving end of. I think going forward I’m going to try to calm down and look at the situation differently before I pick up the phone to freak out on him. Apparently my tone as soon as I said hello to him tipped him off that it was going to be another ranting phone call from me. 😊

I did explain to him that I take it personally when he forgets the take out the trash. I don’t know why, but I feel like he’s telling me he doesn’t value me or my feelings when he fails to do something I asked. We also talked about how his comments about my parents tossed into our disagreements upsets me.

We managed to rationally discuss a few of the incredibly small issues that I tend to dwell on and how they make me feel. So here’s hoping things will get better.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Some of you helped me to see the situation from his side, and I think that was very important. When I feel hurt or wronged I generally start to think of only myself and that’s probably not the best way to approach situations in a marriage.
Oh great! I’m glad things look to be resolving. It all starts with that first talk…always the hardest, but well worth it. I was hoping that you both would have a good talk. Thanks for updating us, and may things continue on the upside. 🙂
 
Note that men, as vain creatures, may be more easily coaxed into emergency works than routine ones, or anything that justifies employing a strong male arm or a practical male mind etc. etc. :rolleyes: Conversely, arguments calling on physical strength or technical aptitude have a bigger chance of working out than almost any other form of argument. Sometimes it might be possible to give a man a more tiring or troubling thing to do if it makes him feel more important than the other task he hates.
This is very, very, VERY true. My husband has even TOLD me to ask him to do things that make him more of a man to do. The litterbox, the trash, and opening lids screwed on too tight (usually by him!) are all his jobs. Including the outdoors stuff like mowing lawns, or chopping wood and making fires in the winter (we’re on woodstove heat). Anyway, he has told me that if he’s tired and stressed but I really need help and he’s not budging to play the girl card. You know: “Honey…hugs and snuggles can you light a fire please? It’s just sooo cold and I can’t get warm!” or “Can you get the trash for me? It’s too heavy for me to lift and I know you’re strong enough to do it.” If you stroke a man’s ego to think that whatever it is you need him to do is something only HE can do to care for his woman in a way that NO OTHER man can…well at least for my husband…he’ll drop whatever he’s doing in a moment to do that thing and recieve a warm hug in thanks. (he’s reading over my shoulder and giving me the thumbs up right now! LOL!!)
 
I had to smile when I saw the source of the frustration. I used to get very angry with my dh over trash duty. Every week, he would forget to take the trash to the road. I’d often have to leave my little people alone in the house to take the trash out and it would make me so mad! Plus, in my mind, I was doing all the inside jobs and he was responsible for the outside jobs. erg! And, I just hate to take the trash out!

One time I was dragging the trash can to the road, grumbling under my breath, when I burst out, “Jesus, I don’t have to take the trash out for him!” And, I “heard” in my heart, “No, but would you do it for Me?”

Of course, I would!🙂 I was so happy to do it then. So, when I’m doing chores I feel unjustly thrust upon me, I try to remember to do it for Jesus.

btw, I’ve been married for 18 1/2 years, and I’ve been a homemaker for the last 15 years. And, I regret every thought, energy and conversation that I’ve put into being mad at my dh over housekeeping/chore stuff. I wish I could have all that time and energy back.

My big practical suggestion: hire some help and enjoy every minute you can make with your workaholic hubby. Or, at least work it out, so you can have some time to yourself to be refreshed for him. Plus, the kids will grow up soon and you can have your kid take out the trash. 🙂
 
btw, I’ve been married for 18 1/2 years, and I’ve been a homemaker for the last 15 years. And, I regret every thought, energy and conversation that I’ve put into being mad at my dh over housekeeping/chore stuff. I wish I could have all that time and energy back.
I know exactly what you mean. I spent the entire day brooding over the stupid trash that I had to empty this morning. I wish that I had just gone on with the rest of my day. I could have gone out and done something with my kids, but instead I chose to be angry. My husband and I had a good laugh over how I let having to empty a trash can (which I did twice after I filled it up again by the afternoon) this morning keep me from enjoying my day. In hindsight, I realize now that I wasted a day that could have been spent doing something fun, like taking my kids to Chuck E Cheese to use the gift card they were given.
 
It sounds like you’ve got it figured out, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone. Struggling with dissatisfaction is something I do everyday. I find it hard to be thankful for what I do have, and what my husband does do. I’ve learned, though, that it takes much less energy to just do things myself than to depend on him to do them, and then get angry when he doesn’t ('cause I KNOW he’s not going to anyway). I don’t think that makes me a doormat necessarily (although it took a lot for me to get over the thought that it did). Now, I just try to offer up that small suffering and move on. Honestly, the time that I spend ticked that he left his socks laying around, AGAIN, is much less than the time I’d spend debating the issue if I decided to start a fight about it.
 
It’s nice to see a situation where talking actually is productive and a reasonable solution can be found. Hooray for you both! 👍
 
I’m really glad you guys got to talk about the issue!! :clapping:

It always feels good to clear the air.
 
Congrats for talking to him! It really would help matters if you could get him to start going to Mass and receiving sacraments. The handling of such matters is different when both of the people go to confession.

Yes, people who have had some training in related areas sometimes become the butt of unfair jabs. On the other hand, we may well really sound like we’re on job, which can make people insecure. Some others are just prejudiced and distrustful, but that’s a mark of some simplicity that could be used to a good end. They tend to change minds after they receive qualified help from people they distrusted.
 
My husband and I talked about the trash issue when he got home from work. Clearly, my call this morning was seen as nagging. He was sitting in traffic due to an accident while I was calling him to complain about a trash can that was in another state. So I see his point that calling him to freak out about the trash can served no purpose other than getting him upset and me venting my frustration. I’ve been calling him and ranting like this at least a few times a month for years, so I’m sure that’s not much fun to be on the receiving end of. I think going forward I’m going to try to calm down and look at the situation differently before I pick up the phone to freak out on him. Apparently my tone as soon as I said hello to him tipped him off that it was going to be another ranting phone call from me. 😊

I did explain to him that I take it personally when he forgets the take out the trash. I don’t know why, but I feel like he’s telling me he doesn’t value me or my feelings when he fails to do something I asked. We also talked about how his comments about my parents tossed into our disagreements upsets me.

We managed to rationally discuss a few of the incredibly small issues that I tend to dwell on and how they make me feel. So here’s hoping things will get better.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Some of you helped me to see the situation from his side, and I think that was very important. When I feel hurt or wronged I generally start to think of only myself and that’s probably not the best way to approach situations in a marriage.
Great job! You sound like you handled this with a very clear-headed approach!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top