If you were ill and died suddenly

  • Thread starter Thread starter JesusEstelle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JesusEstelle

Guest
…would you go straight to heaven?..like say you had this prolonged illness you were suffering from, and its noncurable…and you died from the pain…would you go straight to heaven?..
 
Do you mean me personally? No, I imagine I’ll be spending some time in Purgatory.

Do I think any person can go straight to heaven? Certainly.
 
…would you go straight to heaven?..like say you had this prolonged illness you were suffering from, and its noncurable…and you died from the pain…would you go straight to heaven?..
You would only go straight to Heaven if you were in a state of grace, have been purged of your attachment to venial faults and if you have no further temporal satisfaction to make for your transgressions. Otherwise you would have to spend some amount of time in Purgatory.

If you are not in a state of grace, you would go to Hell - no exceptions.

Of course, we do not generally know for certain if we are in a state of grace, or (if we happen to be in a state of grace) how much time one would have to spend in Purgatory - if any. Only God knows. As a general rule though, I think most people that make it will have to spend some amount of time in Purgatory.

A painful and long term illness could very well serve to prepare one for Heaven (the transient nature of this life can hardly be seen more clearly when suffering a terminal illness), but it would entirely depend on the reaction of the person suffering. Simply suffering the illness, of itself, does not guarantee anything. One could even increase their faults if they were to suffer it with grumbling or bitterness, or if allowing themselves to despair they could fall from grace entirely. It depends on the will of the sufferer to accept the grace of God, and to accept the chastisement and tribulation that we receive in this life with joy.

Pax Domini
 
I would hope that I could get into heaven immediately because I did the Divine Mercy Mass, confession and communion and I went to the Divine Mercy devotional. If that doesn’t work, then I can’t think of anything else that will.
 
I did know…as a protestant I was assured going straight to heaven.

Now, as a Catholic-to-be…I guess my only chance is with a hope and a prayer. :gopray2:
 
I did know…as a protestant I was assured going straight to heaven.

Now, as a Catholic-to-be…I guess my only chance is with a hope and a prayer. :gopray2:
I know how you feel! I suppose we just have to proceed with fear and trembling! 😉
 
I somehow think that I would be harder on myself than God will be when it comes time for that determination but I am trying to do my best to be worthy of a “Go to Heaven” card!
 
I would not go straight to Heaven. I would go to Purgatory or Hell.
 
…would you go straight to heaven?..like say you had this prolonged illness you were suffering from, and its noncurable…and you died from the pain…would you go straight to heaven?..
Dying after a prolonged illness does not forgive mortal sins.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top