Ignatian Spiritual Exercises

  • Thread starter Thread starter BeOurDefense
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BeOurDefense

Guest
Does anyone have a good link or two, with explanation, to the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises? I’d like to learn more about them this Lent and start to do it.

Also, is there any resource that has a schedule for retreats around the US?
 
Yes, I do plan to ask my priest as well. Just thought I’d start here. Thanks!
 
You can read about the exercises, but they’re really meant to be done with a director. They can be life changing – at least they were for me.

Creighton University has published a version of the spiritual exercises online – onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/cmo-retreat.html They’ve also compiled the online version into a book, Retreat in the Real World. More info here: loyolapress.com/retreat-in-the-real-world.htm#sthash.6Z7eUBmJ.dpbs

My director recommended the book as a kind of backup while I was doing the exercises, but I didn’t actually use it. At least I can say it was recommended by a Jesuit.

Do you have any Jesuits nearby? Since this is at the heart of their spirituality, they are the experts at it.
 
Thank you for that information. Yes, I do have Jesuits near me. It’s just a question of finding one who’s sufficiently orthodox (that’s not a shot, just being honest).
 
I wonder what “sufficiently orthodox” means in a situation like this.

You pray, mostly by using your imagination to see various scenes in the gospels. Then you talk with your director about what happened during your prayer.

You may connect with one potential director more than another, but I’m not sure how you would even know if someone is liberal, conservative, orthodox, or heterodox as they support you in your prayer and point out things you may not have noticed.
 
Thank you for that information. Yes, I do have Jesuits near me. It’s just a question of finding one who’s sufficiently orthodox (that’s not a shot, just being honest).
If you are near a parish staffed by the Oblates of the Virgin Mary, they also often offer the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises, and they are known for their orthodoxy. If you unable to locate a suitable guide, or as a good companion guide to the Exercises, you might consider reading The Discernment of Spirits; An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living, by Fr. Timothy Gallagher, OVM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top