Ikea Chaos

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why, I find IKEA’s furnishings to be overpriced for the quality. I think people are just attracted to the big blue and yellow letters.

Consumer feeding frenzies are not unknown. Does anyone else remember adults fighting over Cabbage Patch dolls? And there was some sort of game that caused riots due to a limited supply. You know the commandment about worshipping idols. It’s as relevant today as when it was brought down from the mountaintop

Lisa N

Alas, I put IKEA on my boycott list years ago so I can’t be chaotic there. 😃

Lisa N:
Consumer feeding frenzies are not unknown. Does anyone else remember adults fighting over Cabbage Patch dolls? And there was some sort of game that caused riots due to a limited supply. You know the commandment about worshipping idols. It’s as relevant today as when it was brought down from the mountaintop

Lisa N
Yes I do… My friend had ten because her grandpa was a big wig with Mattle… I loved mine, and my mom didn’t mind the bruses she got getting it for me 😉

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I don’t know why, I find IKEA’s furnishings to be overpriced for the quality. I think people are just attracted to the big blue and yellow letters.
It depends on what furnishings you’re looking at. I’m considering buying a bed frame from there. It’s $20. I can’t buy the wood for that price and build it myself.

And I thought Americans were the only people who went nuts over shopping. I expected this sort of thing at a soccer match in England. When I was there everyone was very polite, I really am surprised.

40.png
Lance:
And I thought Americans were the only people who went nuts over shopping. I expected this sort of thing at a soccer match in England. When I was there everyone was very polite, I really am surprised.
So am I Lance and I live here!
😉

40.png
Lance:
Well the reality is that such crowds can become totally chaotic. There has been more than one person trampled to death in crowd scenes (rock concerts, stampedes out of various places). It’s fortunate that no one was really seriously hurt or killed. It could have happened as it sounds like they were not prepared with security and crowd control

Lisa N

40.png
Almeria:
It depends on what furnishings you’re looking at. I’m considering buying a bed frame from there. It’s $20. I can’t buy the wood for that price and build it myself.
You get what you pay for. The cheaper stuff there is made of particle board and could basically be considered disposable furniture. The better made stuff there is just as expensive as anywhere else.

Lisa N:

Lisa N
Personally I don’t think it has a thing to do with Ikea or the couch–it has to do with mob psychology. You see it in riots after the first incendiary is thrown, after the first blows are struck and cars overturned - you see it in political rallies where people pour out of a hall after being psychologically whipped up and riots and mayhem break out. They get “caught up” in the action and do things that later they think how foolish and stupid I was to let myself get all “wound up”. It’s the mark of the herd on stampede.

40.png
INRI:
You get what you pay for. The cheaper stuff there is made of particle board and could basically be considered disposable furniture. The better made stuff there is just as expensive as anywhere else.
It appeals to many Europeans and you see a great deal of not just their stuff but the better made models of the same stuff in apartments over there. When an Ikea opened here about 3-4 months ago, three freeways were at gridlock - they had to call the police to clear the freeway ramps and people were falling down, getting walked over as the crowd surged in - just a stampede. Parking lot was so jammed, you could not enter nor exit. I like lingonberries but there is a limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back