L
LorilopezInneed
Guest
I need some feedback.* I grew up in a very dysfunctional family.* My parents were a wreck and I couldn’t wait to get clear of their house --and i’ve been working ever since.
*
I didn’t date much growing up.* I am a rape survivor so it really made me scared about getting close to guys.* I dated a few in college.* One broke my heart. I was SO in love.* The man could do no wrong.
*
Then I met a few guys after college who were just “friend zone”.* They were nice and treated me well, but I just didn’t date them.* Then I met my husband.* He was a jerk to me - over and over again.* I complained about him to my family and they couldn’t stand him after I confessed how he was treating me.* But, for some reason I just continued to stay with him.* Then he proposed.* I didn’t say anything for at least 40 seconds because I knew I should say no…but I said yes anyway.* Then during our engagement I planned on canceling the wedding.* I even delayed getting the dress – my husband did most of the wedding planning because I was secretly trying to thing of ways to escape.*
*
But we got married – wedding was beautiful.* I prayed that things would improve.** ANd they did – but I began to lose myself.* I became extremely codependant.* Probably a result of my rape and dysfunctional family.* I talked poorly about my husband to my friends – because I was constantly complaining about how he got me an iron for* christmas or something of that nature.* Everything was/is always about him.**
*
I didn’t want to have a child – delayed on that too.* Then,* I got pregnant.* That boy is the best thing that ever happened to me.* However,* having a child made my husband who is OCD very volatile.* It brought out the worst in him.* However,* I have definitely seen him grow as a man too.** Here’s the thing – we grew so far apart through our son’s toddler years – I asked for a seperation.* We did for a bit but he threatened suicide so I got scared and took him back…mainly for our son.*
*
Then I cheated on my husband.* He doesn’t know to what extent.* I told the other guy that I would leave my husband – but I never did.* I just kept waiting.* Then, there was a tragic death in my family and I realized what a terrible person I had become and decided to end the affair and commit to my husband.** SInce then – I’ve flirted with other men – never got physical but sought out men to see if I could maintian a relationship with them IF I left my husband.
*
That’s where I am now.* I met a man at work – he’s a decent man.* I haven’t even touched the guy – but he and our chats have left me wondering if I could/should leave my husband again.*
*
My husband still doesn’t treat me all that well and really can be quite mean.We are in a boatload of financial problems.But, he doesn’t deserve to be cheated on.
*
Here’s what I want to know – WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Do I just not love my husband? How can I be so callous? I have spent a good portion of our decade plus marriage – wishing/planning that I would leave…but never have.*
*
I’m going back to therapy.* He and I have gone through therapy and it definitely didn’t help him.* He just said it left him feeling like I was rubbing his nose in all of his poor treatment.* Which I was - because the therapist needed to know what he’s done.*
*
Any insight?* Am I just completely psycho?* It’s possible – I’m open to that.* But I want to find a way to change this dynamic.* Any suggestions?
*
I didn’t date much growing up.* I am a rape survivor so it really made me scared about getting close to guys.* I dated a few in college.* One broke my heart. I was SO in love.* The man could do no wrong.
*
Then I met a few guys after college who were just “friend zone”.* They were nice and treated me well, but I just didn’t date them.* Then I met my husband.* He was a jerk to me - over and over again.* I complained about him to my family and they couldn’t stand him after I confessed how he was treating me.* But, for some reason I just continued to stay with him.* Then he proposed.* I didn’t say anything for at least 40 seconds because I knew I should say no…but I said yes anyway.* Then during our engagement I planned on canceling the wedding.* I even delayed getting the dress – my husband did most of the wedding planning because I was secretly trying to thing of ways to escape.*
*
But we got married – wedding was beautiful.* I prayed that things would improve.** ANd they did – but I began to lose myself.* I became extremely codependant.* Probably a result of my rape and dysfunctional family.* I talked poorly about my husband to my friends – because I was constantly complaining about how he got me an iron for* christmas or something of that nature.* Everything was/is always about him.**
*
I didn’t want to have a child – delayed on that too.* Then,* I got pregnant.* That boy is the best thing that ever happened to me.* However,* having a child made my husband who is OCD very volatile.* It brought out the worst in him.* However,* I have definitely seen him grow as a man too.** Here’s the thing – we grew so far apart through our son’s toddler years – I asked for a seperation.* We did for a bit but he threatened suicide so I got scared and took him back…mainly for our son.*
*
Then I cheated on my husband.* He doesn’t know to what extent.* I told the other guy that I would leave my husband – but I never did.* I just kept waiting.* Then, there was a tragic death in my family and I realized what a terrible person I had become and decided to end the affair and commit to my husband.** SInce then – I’ve flirted with other men – never got physical but sought out men to see if I could maintian a relationship with them IF I left my husband.
*
That’s where I am now.* I met a man at work – he’s a decent man.* I haven’t even touched the guy – but he and our chats have left me wondering if I could/should leave my husband again.*
*
My husband still doesn’t treat me all that well and really can be quite mean.We are in a boatload of financial problems.But, he doesn’t deserve to be cheated on.
*
Here’s what I want to know – WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Do I just not love my husband? How can I be so callous? I have spent a good portion of our decade plus marriage – wishing/planning that I would leave…but never have.*
*
I’m going back to therapy.* He and I have gone through therapy and it definitely didn’t help him.* He just said it left him feeling like I was rubbing his nose in all of his poor treatment.* Which I was - because the therapist needed to know what he’s done.*
*
Any insight?* Am I just completely psycho?* It’s possible – I’m open to that.* But I want to find a way to change this dynamic.* Any suggestions?