I recently started practicing Catholicism again, and have been going to confession and Mass regularly. While I’ve always been anxious about sin and not committing them,recently (about the middle of Christmas break), I’ve been absolutely terrified that everything I do is a sin and possibly a mortal sin. I also have horrible thoughts and phrases in my head that I’m not sure I’m choosing. This anxiety also manifests itself physically and it leaves me physically exhausted and affects my breathing. Because of all of this, I am terrified to receive Communion. I receive anyway, since I’m not sure, but Mass brings more worry now. I went to confession last week and the priest told me to only go once a month, which I intend on doing, but I’m scared I’ll commit a mortal sin between now and then. Does anyone have advice? Has anyone else been this way?
Ok here we go.
- This is a difficulty that has experienced by certain Christians…for centuries…it can be a real torture.
- Relax. Do not worry.
- Such thoughts are likely scruples (those with scruples can be known to have a problem with them --and they really become scruples when one worries or fears sin). Which is why scrupulosity is often put together with OCD --but note too that this does not mean that Scrupulosity = OCD as some hold. Though a persons scruples can also be at the same time OCD. Hope I do not confuse you here… It all depends on the person.
- They can be internal but not willed. They can seem like ‘you are the one causing them’ --for it is the nature of such thoughts.
- Now are they mortal sins? No. are they venial sins? No. Not very likely at all even little little venial sin.
For a mortal sin one needs a grave matter …full knowledge AND full consent!!! and it does not sound like you are giving them full consent…you do not want them at all!
A. If you do not want the thought…it the thought displeases you: it is a sign actually that you did not give consent or do not give full consent. And actually one could say prob. in your case from what you describe --no consent.
B. Even if you felt a temptation for the thought – and were drawn to it – say a sexual thought – --but rejected it and maybe even turned to God : again a sign not full consent.
But these are not even temping for you! they bother you!
C. But what if one has a tempting thought --say of a sexual nature and even hesitated for a moment…but then rejected it for one did not want to sin? : it can be partial consent perhaps (and thus a venial sin)-- or it may be no sin at all but rather a strong temptation that drew you but then you saw what was happening and turned away.
D. A temptation can even be very strong or the thoughts very often – but this does NOT mean one has consented! so worry not…even it they go on for a long time…
BUT this is not what you are talking about – they are not even tempting thoughts – so what I just wrote here in C was for future reference.
What if one is doubting if they gave full consent – well if you are seeking to follow Christ and live a good life or at least not giving in often in that area-- you can assume or judge that you did not. Especially since you are not ordinarily giving it to such things…(again these are not even ‘temptations’ )
and thus they are should not keep you from Communion!
This is especially true of those with scruples…which it seems you have from your description…
remember – for everyone --for it to be mortal there must be that deliberate consent!
What to do? on the spiritual side–relax first of all and remember the above.
Next – know that the more one fears the thoughts the more likely they are to come… or said another way --the more a person seeks to avoid the thoughts the more likely he will have a problem with them. (but do not worry about this either!)
for example: for the next 10 seconds try NOT to think of an apple.
tick tock …
Ok what did you think of? Most likely an apple.
So it is best to ignore them and just not consent and then turn your attention to some other good thing…for instance whatever you are doing. Simply do not consent and move on. and do not worry
These thoughts and other scruples should be treated like a barking dog --and just ignored and passed by… one does not stop to argue with a barking dog one just keeps walking (this wisdom about the dog is from a Carthusian from the 15th century --Joannes Lanspergius)
another point – thoughts can just happen --they are the stuff with which we think…it is up to us to consent and take them further or not.
Simply do not consent…and relax. have a sense of humor.
And remember – we are not even obliged to confess doubtful things…
treat them like the little flys that bug you (we call them nats here --not sure what you have down under) --that fly about your head in the summer …and into your eyes…just try go about your business and do not worry…they can cause you no real harm…they just annoy you.
you may find this helpful too from the chief apologist of Catholic Anwsers:
jimmyakin.typepad.com/defenso…?cid=118867622
now you may or may not have ocd …for scruples are not = OCD but some who have ocd have scruples etc.
also please know that you can trust my advice above. I have a degree in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville and what I advise in this area based on very orthodox Catholic sources …so worry not! for worry is part of the problem…
PS: one of the things with scruples is that they are a problem with doubt…or fear…and anxiety…so you may want to consider seeing a good doctor …or a good Catholic counselor (who thinks with the Church) …especially if you are having other anxiety issues …