I'm confused on what Jesus means who the swine or dogs are?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Happy2bcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Happy2bcatholic

Guest
We know that the bible says that if we do not correct or brother then we are held liable for them but also to not cast our pearls before swine or give good things to the dogs.

Please clarify for me. Thank you!
 
Well we are to point others immoral actions, but only if we ourselves are not doing the same thing being hypocrites. Also, do not give our sacred gifts to someone who is only going to trash them.
 
thankyou but what if someone was causally talking about an abortion someone had, or sympathizing with the pro-death agenda or is pro-homosexuality, then since my words would be words of gentle reguidance but not welcomed gentle reguidance would it be sinful to just listen and say nothing?

It seems that many people reveal a lot about themselves, at least to me, I think it could be from a lack of confession in their lives. I don’t bring stuff up or egg them on. Always it seems that some controversial topic comes up with other parents when I take him to his soccer game, kung fu, swimming.

I feel that my priorities should be first as wife and mother and then pray for my neighbor. I think I should only correct them if they come to me (they initiate it) specifically for my advice, otherwise I will say nothing. Of course if it is a matter of life or death like someone contemplating an abortion I’ll give them a pamphlet or something on it, only because of the finality of the action.

What’s your take on this? Thank you.
 
I feel that my priorities should be first as wife and mother and then pray for my neighbor. I think I should only correct them if they come to me (they initiate it) specifically for my advice, otherwise I will say nothing. Of course if it is a matter of life or death like someone contemplating an abortion I’ll give them a pamphlet or something on it, only because of the finality of the action.

What’s your take on this? Thank you.
My take is you are a smart sensible and spiritually savvy women who doesn’t need advice. But you are also humble and ask! You seem to be one who waits for the Holy Spirit to present opportunities rather than forces their opinion on those who won’t welcome it, anyway. :bowdown: Maybe some day I’ll grow up to be just like you!

That pearls and swine thing? I think isn’t that someone is a “pig,” it’s that they are unable to understand and will just trample something of value in the mud. You are something of value, your soul and spirit are. Your beliefs are, too. Where was it in Scripture, where Mary keeps things in her heart or pondered them there? She didn’t run around chatting up the neighbors about certain experiences she had or knowledge she was given.

Really, I think you should be advising us.
 
thankyou but what if someone was causally talking about an abortion someone had, or sympathizing with the pro-death agenda or is pro-homosexuality, then since my words would be words of gentle reguidance but not welcomed gentle reguidance would it be sinful to just listen and say nothing?

It seems that many people reveal a lot about themselves, at least to me, I think it could be from a lack of confession in their lives. I don’t bring stuff up or egg them on. Always it seems that some controversial topic comes up with other parents when I take him to his soccer game, kung fu, swimming.

I feel that my priorities should be first as wife and mother and then pray for my neighbor. I think I should only correct them if they come to me (they initiate it) specifically for my advice, otherwise I will say nothing. Of course if it is a matter of life or death like someone contemplating an abortion I’ll give them a pamphlet or something on it, only because of the finality of the action.

What’s your take on this? Thank you.
I believe we are all responsible for each other as brothers and sisters in Christ for the edification of the Church. For charity, we have to show or explain to our brothers or sisters what is their fault (they might not know it) that they may confess and be reconciled to God. Our Lord commands that if the transgressor did not even listen to you then you need a witness of two or three or more until matter is brought to the Church. But before that, you must examine yourself, as the scripture says, you can not remove the mote in your brother’s eye while there’s a beam in your eyes.
 
For the swines and dogs, these are those Catholics that do not live up to their faith and don’t want to confess or accept their mistakes.
 
Thank you all for your great advice and compliments as well.

I also found this which reiterates what you have said:
Dear Christopher,
Thank you for writing us at Christian Questions Radio. You wanted to know who the swine were in Matthew 7:6.
“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.”
Jews often referred to the Gentiles (all non-Jews) as “dogs” because they were thought of as unclean, as dogs were, roaming the streets and indiscriminating eating whatever was available. (See Matthew 15:21-28 where the Canaanite woman of great faith asks Jesus to heal her daughter.) Jesus tells her, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs.” (Matthew 15:26) Jesus means that it was not yet the time to perform miracles to any other people except his own, the Jews. The woman understood the term “dogs” and answered Jesus saying, “Yes, Lord, but even dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” (Matthew 15:27)
Swine were also considered an unclean animal. Under the Mosaic Law, Jews were forbidden to eat them. In Matthew 7:6 Jesus is telling his followers in his Sermon on the Mount not to waste their time preaching about spiritual matters such as the beautiful kingdom message (pearls) to swine (those who have no interest in God’s precious truth, but think only of the sensual things of this life). Because such people, who our Lord refers to as “swine”, would see no value in God’s “pearls”, they figuratively trample them under their feet and then turn on the messenger and tear him to pieces, either literally or figuratively by angry words or actions.
Who were the swine? They were people who were not interested in spiritual truths, but interested only in fleshly pursuits.
We hope we have answered your question. Be sure to sign up for CQ Rewind at www.christianquestions.net. The service is free without obligation and will provide you with scriptural perspective on many questions and topics.
Sincerely,
Christian Questions Radio
 
I spoke to a devout and trusted priest and this is what he told me:
He said that if someone is an atheist/nonbeliever then we are to give a silent witness to the faith unless they are actively doing something harmful to someone. Of course in the latter case we are to intervene of course. If the person is a Christian then we are to correct them but always with charity and we are to question our motive, we are to never be self-righteous and beat someone over the head with the truth. We would be like the brother who first says that we will go out into the field and work but then never does, such as the Pharisees, Jesus says that tax collectors and prostitutes will enter heaven before them. We might have to evangelize through a round about way like ask them to dinner, offer to take them to church, etc. spend time with them rather than correcting them for the sake of being right.
 
We know that the bible says that if we do not correct or brother then we are held liable for them but also to not cast our pearls before swine or give good things to the dogs.

Please clarify for me. Thank you!
In the original context, gentiles (worthless pagans to a man)I:D

Basically, it seems to me that they’re the people who don’t want to listen, who are lost in the things of this world and whose hearts are so hardened that they will not hear the Word and may even harm you physically if you try and make them understand.
 
We know that the bible says that if we do not correct or brother then we are held liable for them but also to not cast our pearls before swine or give good things to the dogs.

Please clarify for me. Thank you!
There are some people out there who will take advantage of everything you give them. Continue to give and they will take advantage of you also.

More specifically, there are those who when you give the gospel to them will refuse it and slander you. I believe we are instructed to “wipe the dust from our shoes” and keep moving.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top