I'm stuck on something trivial

  • Thread starter Thread starter Charlotte408
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlotte408

Guest
Ok so I’m reading…

and I get to:

JOHN 3:

7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

I’m making good sense of everything before, and after this piece, but the bolded parts I’m stuck on. I just can’t … is it a translation thing??

‘No one who is born of God will continue to sin’ -At first I was thinking this ties in with ‘6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen Him or known Him.’ and I’m thinking it means, that, if you truly knew God, had met Him, known Him as a true and real presence…you wouldn’t sin anymore because you’d be so humbled by it…that makes sense to me…

but then its this word ‘can not’ … I’m having a hard time with that and free will.
 
And the ‘born of God’ - I was thinking maybe they are referring to baptism, like once someone is ‘born of God’, wether it be by baptism or, I guess accepting the Lord as your Saviour, perhaps they mean once someone is ‘born of God’ they stop sinning, in the same way I said if someone was confronted with God they would…

But we know that’s not true. People are ‘saved’ and then sin…revert back to their old ways…then get ‘saved’ again years later…

and if its baptism, well heck we all sin in our lifetimes, who hasn’t sinned since their infant baptism? 😃
 
I don’t think it’s trivial. It seems to be of first-class significance.

I continue to sin and simply repent and confess, etc. But, I have besetting sins. I’d like a miracle, to be relieved of them.

My sister hates me and doesn’t want any more to do with me. I tried to reconcile or just get along for seven years, then I had to give up. It seemed better to just “let it go” than try to change her mind about anything. My situation is very complicated.

It would be nice to snap my fingers and say “it’s all over, it’s all behind me.” Doesn’t seem to work that way in real life.
 
I don’t think it’s trivial. It seems to be of first-class significance.

I continue to sin and simply repent and confess, etc. But, I have besetting sins. I’d like a miracle, to be relieved of them.

My sister hates me and doesn’t want any more to do with me. I tried to reconcile or just get along for seven years, then I had to give up. It seemed better to just “let it go” than try to change her mind about anything. My situation is very complicated.

It would be nice to snap my fingers and say “it’s all over, it’s all behind me.” Doesn’t seem to work that way in real life.
Oh wow sweetheart that really is too bad. I’m sorry you weren’t able to work that out, a ‘Sister’ is a special relationship to have. I too have my sin, I’ve been hackin’ at it with an axe though LMBO that stuff’s tuff man…
 
I think it means those who have achieved their new life. Now to the one who wishes that they could stop sinning in a blink of an eye. I feel your pain. I always want to show my happiness in my new life in Christ and freedom from sin. However, when I committed a mortal sin(or think I did), I fall in a deep depression. Then it’s all downhill from there. I always pull myself back to my happy, manic state in the end, though.
 
Charlotte408;7716688] 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
The RSV translation reads " No one born of God commits sin for God’s nature abides in him and he cannot sin because he is born of God."

I think John is saying that when we are born of God, His grace abides in us and we cannot sin if we continue to accept His grace. If we never reject God’s grace we cannot sin.
But John also says at the beginning of this letter that if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves so I think John is just giving both sides. We have a fallen nature and we can sin but if we continue to accept his grace we will not mortally sin because we are born of God through grace.
 
So you think he just means ‘someone who is in a current state of grace’?
 
So you think he just means ‘someone who is in a current state of grace’?
I have to believe that If we are in the state of grace it is more difficult to commit a mortal sin. As a person becomes sanctified, mortal sin is less likely and even venial sin can be overcome.
Seems to me that if a person never rejects God’s grace then he cannot commit a sin that kills the soul.
 
I have to believe that If we are in the state of grace it is more difficult to commit a mortal sin. As a person becomes sanctified, mortal sin is less likely and even venial sin can be overcome.
Seems to me that if a person never rejects God’s grace then he cannot commit a sin that kills the soul.
Hmmmmmmmm… love it. Love, love love this stuff :love:

Love and adore you as well, thank you for allowing me to pick your brain on this Friday evening!

Good night for now 👋
 
Hmmmmmmmm… love it. Love, love love this stuff :love:

Love and adore you as well, thank you for allowing me to pick your brain on this Friday evening!

Good night for now 👋
Adore only God.

Two chapters previous: 1 John 1: “[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all iniquity. [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”

It is the difference between the state of sinfulness due to Original Sin (above) and keeping oneself in the seed of grace and the resulting divine generation even though we can fall by abuse of our free will (1 John 3). It is only through our own fault we fall as well as the unhappy state of separating ourselves from God completely. Also, Veritatis Splendor by John Paul II states that Christianity is not an “ideal” but that we can be perfect by His Grace. In this St. Therese comes to mind.
 
Adore only God.
–Well that stopped me dead in my tracks. I adore a lot of things. I adore my Daughter…

I’m going to have to politefully disagree with you on this one.

a·dore   /əˈdɔr, əˈdoʊr/ Show Spelled
[uh-dawr, uh-dohr] Show IPA
verb, a·dored, a·dor·ing.
–verb (used with object)
  1. to regard with the utmost esteem, love, and respect; honor.
  2. to pay divine honor to; worship: to adore god.
  3. to like or admire very much: I simply adore the way your hair is done!
Words do not mean all meanings at all times. I’ll take what’s behind door number three.
 
I think there is a danger of taking this passage too legalistically. Obviously even after conversion we still sin and the epistles of the NT are filled with instruction in order to improve ourselves by overcoming sin through Christ. I think this passage is referring to living in sin, which is distinct from sinning. Even the holiest of people sin, but living in sin is an obstinate state of disobedience to God, what we may call state of mortal sin. So the passage is saying that someone who persists in a sinful lifestyle without any desire for repentance and does not even acknowledge their sins is not a child of God. They may profess belief on their lips but in their heart they are as far away from God as can be, and do not live the gospel.
 
Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top