Immaculate Conception

  • Thread starter Thread starter JPUSC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The revered Fr John A Hardon, S.J., points out that “the sinlessness of Christ’s Mother had been recognised from the beginning”, but he shows that the views of St Bernard of Clairvaux, St Thomas Aquinas, Albertus Magnus and Bonaventure all missed the point, and that it was not until Duns Scotus wrote his commentaries on the four books of Peter Lombard that the Franciscan protests against those views were taken seriously.

The Dominican Pope St Pius V condemned Baius (1567) for holding that “no one but Christ was without original sin, and therefore the Blessed Virgin died in consequence of the sin contracted by Adam”, and the dogma was defined by Pius IX in 1854.
The Catholic Catechism, Doubleday, 1975, p 152-4].
 
You suffer in purgatory if you die with venial sin
SO WHAT??? At least we are 100% assured of heaven. St. Paul writes to us, with no such assurance,
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us [Romans 8:18]
How much MORE would this apply to those who are ALREADY SAVED, but must suffer a time before inheriting their birthright?

Purgatory - Bring it on!!! I don’t care if I’m the last soul out of purgatory. I don’t care how bad it is. If we on earth can experience our present sufferings and STILL be condemned to HELL, I can deal with purgatory with the absolute assurance of eternal happiness that awaits me.

I don’t pray for heaven. I pray for purgatory. If God wants to exceed my request, that’s up to him.
 
Purgatory - Bring it on!!! I don’t care if I’m the last soul out of purgatory. I don’t care how bad it is.
🙂 In fact you can sign up for the “I’ll take mine, here on earth -process”, its the “Gold” package. The last soul out is the Bronze package.

The Gold requires much obedience, admittedly I’m a sinner, and the more I progress with this issue, the more I realize just what a sinner I am.
 
You go through purgatory if you are not completely removed from all attachment to sin. Not just if you have venial sins, but if you are not a full blown saint.

The act of contrition in mass is where we receive Gods forgiveness from venial sins.
Dont you go to purgatory for ALL sins one has committed, even if they were completely detached by the time they died?
 
Dont you go to purgatory for ALL sins one has committed, even if they were completely detached by the time they died?
You only go to purgatory for unforgiven sins(venial) and temporal punishment due to them unless you do it on earth.

Purgatory can be avoided completely
 
Dont you go to purgatory for ALL sins one has committed, even if they were completely detached by the time they died?
No

Christ paid the eternal consequence of ALL our sins. Purgatory is for the temporal consequence (attachment).
 
You only go to purgatory for unforgiven sins(venial) and temporal punishment due to them unless you do it on earth.

Purgatory can be avoided completely
This is great, positive, and motivational news to me then.

I was always under the impression that all sins, even forgiven sins from years ago, must be suffered for in purgatory, like the broken window analogy.
 
This is great, positive, and motivational news to me then.

I was always under the impression that all sins, even forgiven sins from years ago, must be suffered for in purgatory, like the broken window analogy.
The thing is you can do a lot to fix windows in this life. Every act of mercy, every prayer, every devotion undoes some of the temporal consequences of our past wrongs.
 
This is great, positive, and motivational news to me then.

I was always under the impression that all sins, even forgiven sins from years ago, must be suffered for in purgatory, like the broken window analogy.
This may help some.

The punishments of sin

1472 To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the “eternal punishment” of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the “temporal punishment” of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.84

1473 The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the “old man” and to put on the "new man."85

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm
 
When I said “and temporal punishment due to them” I meant sins in general even forgiven ones. But we don’t go for forgiven sins we only go for the punishment to due forgiven sins, or for unforgiven venial sins. Basically:

Die with no sin or punishment = Heaven

Die with Unforgiven Mortal sin = Hell

Die with Unforgiven Venial sin = Purgatory

Die with no sins at all but still temporal punishment due to them = purgatory.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top