Immersion vs Sprinkling?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redratfish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redratfish

Guest
While I know that some Catholic Churches do baptism via Immersion, but many also do it by sprinkling with water, or pouring of water on the for head. I was recently in a debate with a Baptist, who asked me why Catholics also practiced sprinkling, and pouring of water and I was unsure of how to respond. I simply told him that we do not think submerging an infant is the best way to go with a baptism, and then went on to defend why we believe in infant baptism.

It seems quite trivial to me, both are baptised by water, but he was making a big deal out of it. Any references to scripture would be appreciated.👍
 
While I know that some Catholic Churches do baptism via Immersion, but many also do it by sprinkling with water, or pouring of water on the for head. I was recently in a debate with a Baptist, who asked me why Catholics also practiced sprinkling, and pouring of water and I was unsure of how to respond. I simply told him that we do not think submerging an infant is the best way to go with a baptism, and then went on to defend why we believe in infant baptism.

It seems quite trivial to me, both are baptised by water, but he was making a big deal out of it. Any references to scripture would be appreciated.👍
I believe you are mistaken that the Church confers baptism by *sprinkling *(unless you are using that word as a synonym for pouring, which the two actions technically differ).

Canon Law:
Can. 854 Baptism is to be conferred either by immersion or by pouring; the prescripts of the conference of bishops are to be observed.
Catechism:
1239 The essential rite of the sacrament follows: Baptism properly speaking. It signifies and actually brings about death to sin and entry into the life of the Most Holy Trinity through configuration to the Paschal mystery of Christ. Baptism is performed in the most expressive way by triple immersion in the baptismal water. However, from ancient times it has also been able to be conferred by pouring the water three times over the candidate’s head.
tee
 
I’ve been told, by our Deacon, that all three are valid… It’s more of a tradition then anything else as to which to use… The only requirement is that the water be in motion as the person doing the baptism is saying the words " I baptise you (insert name) in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" … Sometimes the words Holy Ghost are used in place of Holy Spirit.

You can see the water in motion with sprinkling and pouring. When the body is immersed there is a parting of the water. Still in motion… The motion is to signify the movement and presence of the “Holy Spirit”

At our Catholic Church there are both a baptismal font on the floor and a large two person pool under the floor. By removing the floor boards, the priest and the person being baptised can enter the pool.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top