Imperfect Contrition in the bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ben_Sinner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben_Sinner

Guest
Hi,
Are there any parts in the bible that talk about imperfect contrition? Was it when people were supposed to sacrafice animals to God after they sinned instead of asking for God's forgiveness?
 
Hi,

Are there any parts in the bible that talk about imperfect contrition? Was it when people were supposed to sacrafice animals to God after they sinned instead of asking for God’s forgiveness?
Ben, I feel bad that no one replied to your post but I must say that I am a bit confused with your question. Can you restate it? Are you seeking an Old Testament view of contrition? Sacrificing animals was how they sought forgiveness and this is fulfilled with Christ being sacrificed on the Cross. His sacrifice removes all sin from mankind when we unite ourselves to Him. “Imperfect” contrition is a term that signifies that one is still attached to the sin to some degree and also fears the pains of hell rather than a perfect love for Jesus Christ. This term is not found in Scripture as it is an understanding of how we seek God’s forgiveness.

Anyway, I’m not even sure that I am on the right track for you here. Maybe you can clarify your question. God bless…teachccd
 
Ben, I feel bad that no one replied to your post but I must say that I am a bit confused with your question. Can you restate it? Are you seeking an Old Testament view of contrition? Sacrificing animals was how they sought forgiveness and this is fulfilled with Christ being sacrificed on the Cross. His sacrifice removes all sin from mankind when we unite ourselves to Him. “Imperfect” contrition is a term that signifies that one is still attached to the sin to some degree and also fears the pains of hell rather than a perfect love for Jesus Christ. This term is not found in Scripture as it is an understanding of how we seek God’s forgiveness.

Anyway, I’m not even sure that I am on the right track for you here. Maybe you can clarify your question. God bless…teachccd
What I meant was if I were to debate with a Protestant (who don’t believe in imperfect contrition), what proof would I find in scripture to prove them that imperfect contrition is sufficient? I can’t really find anything in scripture. I was assuming that it came from the OT when the law of fear was brought to the people, and sacrificing an animal forgave their sins even though they might have some attachment to sin…I don’t know, now that I look at what I wrote in my previous statement…it doesn’t really make since either haha:D
 
Hi Ben,

I can’t answer your question about (name removed by moderator)erfect contrition in the Bible, but I have a suggestion. Have you ever heard of Father John Corapi? He talks about Perfect and Imperfect Contrition. You might find some answers in some of his talks or books. I just heard him reference Imperfect Contrition in a talk that I downloaded from the EWTN library archives.

Good luck,
mrswink​

Saints Market Catholic Store: Unique Catholic gifts, rosaries, personalized Saint medals and more…
 
I was reading catholic dogma and it states that imperfect contrition is sufficient for the sacrament of confession. However, it only states it as sent. communis. I believe sent. communis. means that it is only popular belief, meaning it is not guarunteed to be true. :eek:

Any clarification on this?
 
I was reading catholic dogma and it states that imperfect contrition is sufficient for the sacrament of confession. However, it only states it as sent. communis. I believe sent. communis. means that it is only popular belief, meaning it is not guarunteed to be true. :eek:

Any clarification on this?
Perfect and Imperfect Contrition are official teachings of the Church.

CCC 1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

CCC 1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.
 
Perfect and Imperfect Contrition are official teachings of the Church.

CCC 1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

CCC 1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.
However, the Catechism is not always infallible (I think); only in certain aspects. Seeing as the teaching on imperfect contrition is merely “Sent. Communis”, the infallibility would not imply here. Therefore, it is possible that all the people going to confession assuming the sufficiency of imperfect really are never forgiven.

Doesn’t it?..
 
However, the Catechism is not always infallible (I think); only in certain aspects. Seeing as the teaching on imperfect contrition is merely “Sent. Communis”, the infallibility would not imply here. Therefore, it is possible that all the people going to confession assuming the sufficiency of imperfect really are never forgiven.

Doesn’t it?..
I think that you need to read it again…😉
 
However, the Catechism is not always infallible (I think); only in certain aspects. Seeing as the teaching on imperfect contrition is merely “Sent. Communis”, the infallibility would not imply here. Therefore, it is possible that all the people going to confession assuming the sufficiency of imperfect really are never forgiven.

Doesn’t it?..
Right. The Catechism is not infallible.
 
However, the Catechism is not always infallible (I think); only in certain aspects. Seeing as the teaching on imperfect contrition is merely “Sent. Communis”, the infallibility would not imply here. Therefore, it is possible that all the people going to confession assuming the sufficiency of imperfect really are never forgiven.

Doesn’t it?..
There are two issues here.

First, the CCC contains a summary of ALL Church teachings (both infallible and non-infallible) plus disciplines.
Catholics must accept ALL the teachings in the CCC.

Second, I think you are confused over what perfect and imperfect contrition mean.
Perfect contrition is where the main motive for the contrition is sorrow for offending God.
If someone in a state of mortal sin makes an act of perfect contrition and dies on the way to Confession their sins are forgiven and they would be saved.
Imperfect contrition is where the main motive for the contrition is fear of going to Hell and if someone in a state of mortal sin dies on the way to Confession their sins are not forgiven and so they would not be saved. Imperfect contrition is an incomplete act which is only completed by the Sacrament of Confession and Absolution.
 
There are two issues here.

First, the CCC contains a summary of ALL Church teachings (both infallible and non-infallible) plus disciplines.
Catholics must accept ALL the teachings in the CCC.

Second, I think you are confused over what perfect and imperfect contrition mean.
Perfect contrition is where the main motive for the contrition is sorrow for offending God.
If someone in a state of mortal sin makes an act of perfect contrition and dies on the way to Confession their sins are forgiven and they would be saved.
Imperfect contrition is where the main motive for the contrition is fear of going to Hell and if someone in a state of mortal sin dies on the way to Confession their sins are not forgiven and so they would not be saved. Imperfect contrition is an incomplete act which is only completed by the Sacrament of Confession and Absolution.
I always liked that description of someome dying on the way to confession with mortal sin goes to hell. So exactly how do we describe the infinte love and mercy of God?
 
There are two issues here.

First, the CCC contains a summary of ALL Church teachings (both infallible and non-infallible) plus disciplines.
Catholics must accept ALL the teachings in the CCC.
The fallibility implies that there is a possibility of error, doesn’t it?

From what I have heard, perfect contrition is very difficult to attain.
 
The fallibility implies that there is a possibility of error, doesn’t it?

From what I have heard, perfect contrition is very difficult to attain.
I don’t know if its difficult or not. I would simply question if anyone who says they have made an act of perfect contrition can be 100% sure. I would not bet my immortal soul on being sure. However, that does not mean a person should be discouraged from trying sincerely to make such an act.Better to try than not.
Best bet is to get to Confession as quickly as possible.
 
I always liked that description of someome dying on the way to confession with mortal sin goes to hell. So exactly how do we describe the infinte love and mercy of God?
Its sounds like you are saying the Church teaching on Perfect and Imperfect Contrition is wrong. Is that what you are saying?

God IS infinite love and mercy. However, anyone in a state of mortal sin by definition has rejected God’s love. The Sacrament of Confession is the means to be reconciled to God and the Church.
Thinking otherwise is Protestant thinking.
 
Its sounds like you are saying the Church teaching on Perfect and Imperfect Contrition is wrong. Is that what you are saying?

God IS infinite love and mercy. However, anyone in a state of mortal sin by definition has rejected God’s love. The Sacrament of Confession is the means to be reconciled to God and the Church.
Thinking otherwise is Protestant thinking.
No; what I’m saying is that the Church teaches that it is not a infallible teaching… I think. I believe it only labels it as popular speculation… Sent. Communis.
 
No; what I’m saying is that the Church teaches that it is not a infallible teaching… I think. I believe it only labels it as popular speculation… Sent. Communis.
…it need not be infallible…

and it is not just “speculation”…

It IS the teaching of the Church
 
Catechism:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4D.HTM
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top