Implants question

  • Thread starter Thread starter wonderingCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wonderingCatholic

Guest
My wife told me she wanted breast implants in the future. I just wondered if it was against the church at all? Im not saying anything to her, and she isn’t pressured. It’s just something she would like.
 
Last edited:
Non-medical plastic surgery is a neutral issue. What makes it good or bad is going to be the underlying motivation for it.

The catechism sez–
“If morality requires respect for the life of the body, it does not make it an absolute value. It rejects a neo-pagan notion that tends to promote the cult of the body , to sacrifice everything for its sake, to idolize physical perfection” (2289).
So, some of the questions to consider–
  1. What is your intention? Are there vanity or self-esteem issues? Psychological issues?
  2. Is your happiness dependent upon the outcome of the surgery?
  3. Will these procedures increase certain health risks?
  4. Will the costs be a financial burden to you or your family?
  5. If you are married, will your spouse support your decision?
 
If it’s for self esteem are there any other ways around it? Padded bras, counselling? Will it affect any children such as having to stop breast feeding ?
 
Regarding breast feeding, ask your doctor. We are not allowed to give specific medical advice.

Seek counseling from a priest or licensed counselor to determine the other things.
 
If it is not a mutation of the body it is probably alright.
How about a hair transplant for a male. That is alright or even organ transplants.
 
Last edited:
Honestly I think she just wants them to have them and feel good. There’s no body issues, just the fact that she would really like to have it done.
 
“feel good”?? I had a girlfriend who was a real beauty, but she had one problem. Small breasts. I took a few photos of her once in a very nice outfit, and when I showed them to her, she said, “I look terrible.” By anatomy book standards, she had a perfect figure otherwise. She obviously did not feel good about having what she saw as a flaw.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that’s not an issue here. She knows how good she looks, and I always tell her. I was just wondering about the morality side, we still have babies so it won’t even come up until we are completely done having kids anyway. I was just curious.
 
I just wondered if it was against the church at all?
For corrective measures, no problem. Such as breast cancer survivors.

For cosmetic augmentation, while not necessarily intrinsically disordered, I would say that the majority of women seeking breast implants are mutilating their bodies in a way warned against in the Catechism—
Chasing the cult of the body.

A woman who had a physical deformity, that would be a different story. Outside of that, I would seriously question the morality of elective implants.
 
If this is something that isn’t pressured or something she’s thinking about down the road, I would probably simply talk a little more about it with her and maybe suggest to her to keep thinking about it. Maybe have some research done on the risks of implants because they could be dangerous depending on how it goes.

In my honest opinion, I wouldn’t be for it unless there was a serious reason (that’s me with plastic surgery in general). Of course, I don’t know your wife and it is her ultimate choice in the end. This would require prudences, but no pressure. I wish you two the best of luck and love on this decision ❤️
 
I don’t know if I would say that a woman mutilates her body if the implants are not needed. If she is in a sales job there could be more doors opening for her based on the way society works. It seems the same if a man does body building for the same results.
 
I don’t know if I would say that a woman mutilates her body if the implants are not needed
I would. And the Catechism certainly points that way.
If she is in a sales job there could be more doors opening for her based on the way society works.
Wow.

That’s a lot of thing right there. But one thing it’s not is Catholic.
It seems the same if a man does body building for the same results
A man or woman exercising to get in shape is not the same as cosmetic surgery.

If either takes it to an extreme, which can happen in body building, that is also morally questionable.
 
I didn’t say the man was just trying to get in shape. I was saying he is building up his body as the woman is also enhancing hers. Can you show me how this is not Catholic? I don’t think you can unless you assume some facts that are subjective but would like to hear what you have to say.
 
I think it was more how it was structured in the sentenced. The context came off as to say she would use her psychical image to attract more attention for sales. Almost close to the idea of maybe objectifying herself to society.
That may not be what you meant, not going to assume you meant it that way, that’s how it seemed and that’s probably why @1ke was saying it didn’t seem catholic.

I type this with all due respect to you.
 
I didn’t say the man was just trying to get in shape. I was saying he is building up his body as the woman is also enhancing hers.
Lifting weights is getting in shape. Inserting silicone implants into your breast to make the bigger is not in any way the same thing or analogous. Now if the guy augmented his genitalia, that would be analogous.
Can you show me how this is not Catholic?
Getting breast implants to “get ahead” in the sales field as a woman? What part of that IS Catholic? Which virtues is that an example of?
 
For one, it might be to provide for her family. But lets not say lifting weights but body building of which I have done some study on. It is all about enhancing our bodies to make them as presentable as possible. It is just a failure of human nature (original sin) that we sometimes give preferences to those individuals that attract us.
 
If as in Genesis we are to subdue the earth or protect it from harm and exploitation then as we use its resources for our benefit with out destroying the earth then it seems like we are in line with God’s will. The same can be said of our bodies as we improve them in beauty and functionality. Hope I am not stretching this too far, as I don’t consider this a deforming procedure. I have heard discussions also on the use of viagra and that topic boiled down to enhancing or helping a normal activity. I am using this example I heard on Catholic Answers a while back. I think Tim Staples gave the answer.
 
Last edited:
For one, it might be to provide for her family.
Again which Catholic virtues are built on getting ahead in sales based on the size of your breasts and augmenting them to be noticeable to men who are not your husband?
 
I would still recommend reading about the health risk it could present if she does get implants. I can’t say for sure she would develop any, but it would be wise to at least know what you might be signing up for. I think, could be wrong, there have been studies that the gel in the implants can cause cancer if they burst (then again what doesn’t cause cancer these days.)
I just wouldn’t wish for her to not know about these first, if you guys haven’t already.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top