C
CutlerB
Guest
I have an interest in history, particularly Ecclesiastical history, and really like to get an idea of what the world was like in a particular era. One way to do this I have found helpful is reading Papal documents (Bulls, Encyclicals, etc.) of a certain time pertaining to important issues.
Among those I have read are Pascendi Dominici Gregis, Mirari Vos, Quanta Cura, and quite a few others around and after the time of 1800.
Now I wonder whether there might be more documents that were concerned with critical events and developments from times earlier than that, perhaps of a more political nature during the Middle Ages and ones that were more concerned with theology or philosophy in relation to the world before 1800. Game-changing encyclicals, so to speak
Are there any documents that come to mind? Basically, the question is: What are the really important Papal Bulls, Encyclicals and so forth before the time of 1800?
I look forward to replies.
Among those I have read are Pascendi Dominici Gregis, Mirari Vos, Quanta Cura, and quite a few others around and after the time of 1800.
Now I wonder whether there might be more documents that were concerned with critical events and developments from times earlier than that, perhaps of a more political nature during the Middle Ages and ones that were more concerned with theology or philosophy in relation to the world before 1800. Game-changing encyclicals, so to speak
Are there any documents that come to mind? Basically, the question is: What are the really important Papal Bulls, Encyclicals and so forth before the time of 1800?
I look forward to replies.