imprimaturs

  • Thread starter Thread starter didymus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

didymus

Guest
I was looking at French Bibles online (as a gift, not for myself) and I saw one La Bible Expliquee (the Bible Explained) which billed itself as “an international, interfaith collaboration” that originally came out in 1985. Further down it states that it has "the imprimatur of the Catholic Church for the biblical text (France, 1995) and for the explanatory notes (Canada 2004).

This sort of made me wonder – did somebody in marketing decide they’d do better selling to Catholics if they got an imprimatur? Why the delay? Did they have to “shop around” till they found a diocese that would grant one. I’ll give them the one for the text, but for the explanatory notes? Of an interfaith Bible? Get real.

Since being on the Forums I put rather less stock in imprimaturs than I used to. Since it only means “this work is not heretical” it’s rather like having a food or medicine labelled “guaranteed not poison” – good so far as it goes.

Maybe they should come up with something new that is issued by the Vatican rather than at the diocesan level? Something that would be the equivalent of the Food & Drug Adminstration’s “safe & effective” standard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top