Impurity regarded as mortal sin question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prodigal1984

Guest
Hi all. I struggle with lust. I don’t want to get to into that but mostly what the CCC says.

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."139
To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

Does this mean that if you have somewhat of an addiction to it that you aren’t in a state of mortal sin if you do fall into impurity? Do I not need to be going to confession every 3 days for falling into it so often?
I only ask because I struggle with this and also have very bad anxiety problems and I know many others do as well.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
If you have an addiction to something you should seek medical and psychological help. Not being able to control yourself can lead to horrible situations.
If it is just habitual sin you fall to time and time again, well I dont know how to put this another way… go to confession and stop masturbating…
 
go to confession and stop masturbating…
That is way harder said than done.

OP, I wouldn’t get wrapped up in trying to determine your level of culpability. The bottom line is that we can’t really know how culpable we are this side of Heaven, so it’s best to act as though we are always 100% culpable. If we’re not, then I’m sure God will let us know when we die, but I would much rather assume I am culpable and be wrong, than assume I’m not and be wrong.
 
Last edited:
A lot is involved with this addiction. i’m very sure you are fighting
a demon & it’s dominating you now.
If you resist solely on own unaided effort, failure is certain.
You will have to overcome it to be freed, time won’t really diminish it
You MUST fight it the right way
This may seem strange, but I must say from experience
that frequent OVER-EATING will make you HORNY
Natural food doesn’t give grace, prayer & fasting do !
SolitarySex has no place in a religious person’s life
 
You need to discuss this stuff with a priest.

I myself have suffered periodically from bad anxiety since my teens. I also used to masturbate. With God’s and Mother Mary’s help, I quit. I still have anxiety but I do not feel that it gives me a free pass to masturbate (or abuse alcohol or drugs, or do various other sinful things).
 
This may seem strange, but I must say from experience
that frequent OVER-EATING will make you HORNY
Works the exact opposite way for me. Fasting, or cutting out un-natural food, causes me to become nervous (think nicotine withdrawal type feeling) and sex or masturbation is a feel-good calming distraction from that, so temptation increases. When I overeat, all I want to do is take a nap. I don’t want sexytime.

Everyone’s metabolism is different.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Is Masturbation is a sin? Catholic Living
Please Read the Following 3 posts By @edward_george1
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top