T
Truthstalker
Guest
To my mind SS is a self-sufficient presuppositional system, not subject to proof or in need of proof. It can handle paradox and enigma, it can handle interpreting any verse within its own confines, and it can handle tradition that is inconsistent with itself by the simple act of rejection of anything contradictory to it. If you operate on an SS basis, you cannot be dislodged. I’ve watched enough attempts at it from both sides to make that conclusion.
That paragraph is enough to draw some serious firepower on it all by its lonesome, but let me continue, as it is a precondition to what I would like to discuss.
Catholics operate out of a Scripture and Tradition mindset. It’s a consideration that it is NOT a presuppositional system but one logically arising from the doctrine of the incarnation. At this point I would, if pressed, argue that the recipe for apple butter arises from the doctrine of the incarnation, but I will spare us all that particular thread. We have revelation because of the incarnation. The challenge to the Catholic on this thread is to demonstrate that because of the incarnation we necessarily have a valid oral Tradition today as well as the written Scripture. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and so it is soli verbum dei. Somehow the incarnation involves the bride of Christ, the Church, and the church speaks, and when the church speaks, it is the incarnate Word speaking, so the tradition is valid. I THINK that is the Catholic line of argument, but the Protestants will no doubt find a few holes in it.
The challenge to Protestants is to meet the Catholic argument on its own terms, rather than on SS terms, as instead of the SS presuppositional system being in play, an S+T system must be employed. Alternately philosophically you could step back and find the common ground on which either system, SS or S+T, can be evaluated as evaluative systems, but I am not convinced that ground exists. You have to start somewhere.
That paragraph is enough to draw some serious firepower on it all by its lonesome, but let me continue, as it is a precondition to what I would like to discuss.
Catholics operate out of a Scripture and Tradition mindset. It’s a consideration that it is NOT a presuppositional system but one logically arising from the doctrine of the incarnation. At this point I would, if pressed, argue that the recipe for apple butter arises from the doctrine of the incarnation, but I will spare us all that particular thread. We have revelation because of the incarnation. The challenge to the Catholic on this thread is to demonstrate that because of the incarnation we necessarily have a valid oral Tradition today as well as the written Scripture. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and so it is soli verbum dei. Somehow the incarnation involves the bride of Christ, the Church, and the church speaks, and when the church speaks, it is the incarnate Word speaking, so the tradition is valid. I THINK that is the Catholic line of argument, but the Protestants will no doubt find a few holes in it.
The challenge to Protestants is to meet the Catholic argument on its own terms, rather than on SS terms, as instead of the SS presuppositional system being in play, an S+T system must be employed. Alternately philosophically you could step back and find the common ground on which either system, SS or S+T, can be evaluated as evaluative systems, but I am not convinced that ground exists. You have to start somewhere.