Incense at a Catholic Wedding

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zoticus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zoticus

Guest
I hope everyone had a happy holiday! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with incense being used during a nuptial (wedding) mass, and if so to what extent? I would love to use it for my wedding, but wanted to get any feedback that CA members may have.
 
IMO, when incense is used at a Mass it should be used at all appropriate times. I would simply suggest you ask the presider to use incense at the whole Mass.

Assuming this is a NO Mass, the incense would be properly used at the beginning of Mass (incensing the altar), at the gospel, and at the offertory (incensing the altar and gifts and presider and congregation). The incense would also lead the procession and recession at the beginning and end of Mass. In some instances (I think it beautiful), an altar server incenses the Blessed Sacrament at the Elevations but this is not done in many NO Masses.

Edit (how rude of me): Congratulations on your engagement! I hope your wedding and marriage is beautiful!
 
I hope everyone had a happy holiday! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with incense being used during a nuptial (wedding) mass, and if so to what extent? I would love to use it for my wedding, but wanted to get any feedback that CA members may have.
My cousin got married about two months ago at our Cathedral. My parochial vicar, the Cathedral’s first rector, celebrated the wedding Mass. He used incense. In fact, at just about every wedding he does, he uses incense.

He also does something rather spectacular. He incenses the couple after he has incensed the gifts. My cousin was floored and she just about loved it.

Incidentally, if you want, you can ask the priest celebrating your wedding Mass if you could order the incense. The Holy Rood Guild makes an incense that is derived from the essence of Chrism. It smells magnicent!!
 
Thank you guys for your quick responses. The two priests con celebrating the wedding mass are close friends, and hopefully will oblige the request. I am very excited in anticipation of a beautiful liturgy to start a long, beautiful marriage.
 
IMO, when incense is used at a Mass it should be used at all appropriate times. I would simply suggest you ask the presider to use incense at the whole Mass.
Or better, yet, ask the priest, since he will be offering the Mass.
 
He also does something rather spectacular. He incenses the couple after he has incensed the gifts. My cousin was floored and she just about loved it.
This is the norm when incense is used at a Nuptial Mass. This was done at my own Nuptial Mass and in any other that I have attended when incense was used.

And yes, we used incense at the elevations.😃
 
This is the norm when incense is used at a Nuptial Mass. This was done at my own Nuptial Mass and in any other that I have attended when incense was used.

And yes, we used incense at the elevations.😃
Unfortunately, he is the only one in town who does this. 🤷 Now, my dad served as his altar server. It helps if you have one because it would be hard for him to do the incense at the elevations if he’s a one-man operation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top