C
CatholicLife
Guest
Does anyone here use incense during they pray? Do you use a thurible or incense sticks?
DaughterOfMary6,I wish I could burn incense when I pray, but my mom and dad are both allergic to it.I love the smell of incense at Mass. It’s what I imagine Heaven to smell like.
![]()
That censer is beautifulI use a censer similar to this one:
http://orthodoxincense.com/display_...&archive=0&final_h=240&final_w=180&percent=80
Inside I use a disk of charcoal similar to these:
http://orthodoxincense.com/display_...&archive=0&final_h=192&final_w=256&percent=40
After receiving some good advice from people here on this forum last year, I was able to finally use my censer properly. I as advised to smash up the chunks of incense resin into more of a powder lest they melt and drown out my charcoal.
Primarily I use incense when I pray evening prayer.
You used to have a pig?!? Awesome!the incense used at Mass is rough on my nose. if I was to use some it would need a softer smell. but I don’t have a pig in the house anymore???
I thought one of the purposes of incense was that the smoke rising was a symbol of your prayers rising to heaven. I don’t know what incense Father was using this Christmas, but I loved the scent and it produced a lot of smoke rising. It was beautiful. I don’t burn incense at home, though.Don’t buy cheap incense - it is heavy on smoke and low on scent. .
During prayer sometimes, but often just during the day, over my sink.Does anyone here use incense during they pray? Do you use a thurible or incense sticks?
I use similar charcoal. I usually break it into approximately a 1/4 of the disc and use just the 1/4 disc at a time. It’s self lighting so lights with a match easily. I use Athonite Style Incense what you’re calling resin chunks, I think, similar to what comes in the cans shown at Monastery Greetings a source Joe Kelley mentioned and the chunks look like this . I get mine at my Byzantine parish or sometimes at the Orthodox cathedral bookstore if I’m there for some other reason. I prefer the rose incense our deacon often uses and highly recommend rose.Inside I use a disk of charcoal similar to these:
http://orthodoxincense.com/display_...&archive=0&final_h=192&final_w=256&percent=40
After receiving some good advice from people here on this forum last year, I was able to finally use my censer properly. I as advised to smash up the chunks of incense resin into more of a powder lest they melt and drown out my charcoal.
Primarily I use incense when I pray evening prayer.
I live to serve.DaughterOfMary6,
Your comment about what you imagine Heaven to smell like made me laugh. Then I look down at your signature, “A Rosary a day keeps Satan away!” made me laugh again. : )
I’ll have to look into that. I love the smell, but my family starts coughing if they are near it.I like ponitical blend. Last Christmas I used it in an censor at home like those posted earlier in the thread - I thought it was great (my family rebelled). I now keep some of the resin for this belend in a havdalah spice box (a metel spice box designed (used by Jews weekly at the end of the Sabbath) with holes to allow the smell of spices, or in this case, resin, to permeate when shaken). I shake it each Sunday (and sometimes during the week when praying in my home office). It gives off the “scent” of the inscense without the smoke and much more discreetly than burning incense. This makes me happy, and keeps my wife and kids happy
Blessings,
Brian