Incense

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicLife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t buy cheap incense - it is heavy on smoke and low on scent.
I agree. I got some that seemed like a “deal” at the Greek Orthodox festival a couple years ago, it was darker than what I had had and now have, didn’t burn well and had less fragrance. The cheaper charcoal I bought at the festival was lousy, too. Both the incense and the charcoal last a long time for me the way I use them.
And, as mentioned earlier, isolate it from any smoke detectors -especially if you burn it early in the morning while your spouse is still sleeping :eek:.
Wow! You must be doing some serious incense! I clearly am not burning as much as you are. 🙂
I find that my censer ceases working after a time. The charcoal goes out when only half burnt. It appears to be resin from the smoke condensing on the ventilation holes.
OK now I know what you’re talking about with the resin collecting on the surface of the burner. It does build up a bit, but nothing to close up holes in my situation. Maybe you have smaller holes. This is the kind of burner I use most often (Mouse over it. The one on the left has the lid inverted, there are “holes” to put a long stick of incense on the inside of the lid.) As I said I light about 1/4 piece of a quick lite disk, so maybe similar to the dime size you are using. Once lit/hot I stick two or max 3 little bitty chunks of the incense on the charcoal. I’d say that smokes for about 15 mins but the charcoal is still warm an hour later, I just rarely add more incense.
Due to edge effects the flow is seriously impeded when they still appear half clear.
I haven’t found anything effective in removing the resin - didn’t look to hard. I use a letter opener to scrape them out, but it probably doesn’t improve the looks of the censer. Mine is pretty battered and burnt anyway.
Why don’t you just leave the lid off? Sometimes I do. We use some kind of nasty kerosene like solvent for all kinds of cleaning at church. Have you tried nail polish remover, another nasty multi use chemical LOL

The incense I have is English Rose from the Orthodox cathedral bookstore is from Holy Cross Hermitage $6. with a white label, no weight on it. I don’t know where my deacon gets ours in bulk and then portions it out into little baggies for $4.- $8. depending on the amount. It’s probably from the same source where he gets our bees wax tapers for icon veneration.
 
I canot stand the snell. It gives me a headache and sore throat. Cannot stand it at Mass, so I go into the Foyer when it is used. Makes me cough too. Guess it is nice if you aren’t allergic to it.
 
I canot stand the snell. It gives me a headache and sore throat. Cannot stand it at Mass, so I go into the Foyer when it is used. Makes me cough too. Guess it is nice if you aren’t allergic to it.
Good thing your not Eastern Orthodox or Byzantine Catholic.
 
I cannot stand the smell. It gives me a headache and sore throat. Cannot stand it at Mass, so I go into the Foyer when it is used. Makes me cough too. Guess it is nice if you aren’t allergic to it.
We once had a semi=serious discussion about whether we needed a non-smoking section in the church. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top