Inducing Pain to Fight Temptations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mark86
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark86

Guest
I’m coming off a period of total self-destruction. I lapsed very far in the last couple weeks into my sexual addiction. Sin upon sin. I just lay in bed last sunday saying to myself “What have I done? What have I done?” It was Divine Mercy Sunday and I didn’t even bother going. The reason is I had stayed up until 7am that morning masturbating, porn, scandalizing others in IM chats, and the whole works. It was terrible. I felt terrible. I didn’t go to church because I had to be up in a few hours to go to work…etc. All these classic signs of addiction.

I came home from work that night and lay down in the grass outside begging for mercy. I broke out in tears. I thrashed around in the grass, begging Jesus to heal me, “Lord have mercy, I’m sick, you can heal me… I trust in you…” I said it every possible way you can say it. I said it over and over. I was in tears, mucus falling out… I was clawing at the grass, I was ripping up dirt. I was in such utter turmoil out there. I rolled over on my back and I got this inspiration from my scripture reading, “If I heal you, you must speak of what I’ve done for you.” I said “Lord, I will, for your glory be it done!!!” … I was desperate. Then I got a second one, “I’ve given you the victory.” Once again, like something out of scripture.

Then I got an inspiration to go in the house and go directly to bed, and immediately what came to mind was God “causing Adam to fall into a deep sleep” from Genesis. “I’ve given this night to you for rest.” So I said “Yes Lord” and I dutifully went in and went to bed. No dinner. No computer. Nothing. I went right to bed. I slept for 12 hours. I got up and I heard “you must confess today.” So I ran off to confession. The whole way I was saying “Lord I trust you”, and all I heard was “I’ve given you the victory” … to which my response was always “for your glory be it done.” …etc.

At Confession, I gave my litany of sins, and the priest told me about how St. Francis of Assisi used to roll in the thorn bushes when he was tempted with sins of the flesh as an act of mortification. The priest gave me absolution and assigned a penance of morning prayer against temptation for the next few days.

I’m willing to do the same as St. Francis of Assisi. Should I undertake inducing physical pains when tempted?
 
St. Francis of Assisi used to roll in the thorn bushes when he was tempted with sins of the flesh as an act of mortification.
Wow I never knew that!

I can’t get the picture out of my head of him rolling around in them now.
 
I’m coming off a period of total self-destruction. I lapsed very far in the last couple weeks into my sexual addiction. Sin upon sin. I just lay in bed last sunday saying to myself “What have I done? What have I done?” It was Divine Mercy Sunday and I didn’t even bother going. The reason is I had stayed up until 7am that morning masturbating, porn, scandalizing others in IM chats, and the whole works. It was terrible. I felt terrible. I didn’t go to church because I had to be up in a few hours to go to work…etc. All these classic signs of addiction.

I came home from work that night and lay down in the grass outside begging for mercy. I broke out in tears. I thrashed around in the grass, begging Jesus to heal me, “Lord have mercy, I’m sick, you can heal me… I trust in you…” I said it every possible way you can say it. I said it over and over. I was in tears, mucus falling out… I was clawing at the grass, I was ripping up dirt. I was in such utter turmoil out there. I rolled over on my back and I got this inspiration from my scripture reading, “If I heal you, you must speak of what I’ve done for you.” I said “Lord, I will, for your glory be it done!!!” … I was desperate. Then I got a second one, “I’ve given you the victory.” Once again, like something out of scripture.

Then I got an inspiration to go in the house and go directly to bed, and immediately what came to mind was God “causing Adam to fall into a deep sleep” from Genesis. “I’ve given this night to you for rest.” So I said “Yes Lord” and I dutifully went in and went to bed. No dinner. No computer. Nothing. I went right to bed. I slept for 12 hours. I got up and I heard “you must confess today.” So I ran off to confession. The whole way I was saying “Lord I trust you”, and all I heard was “I’ve given you the victory” … to which my response was always “for your glory be it done.” …etc.

At Confession, I gave my litany of sins, and the priest told me about how St. Francis of Assisi used to roll in the thorn bushes when he was tempted with sins of the flesh as an act of mortification. The priest gave me absolution and assigned a penance of morning prayer against temptation for the next few days.

I’m willing to do the same as St. Francis of Assisi. Should I undertake inducing physical pains when tempted?
Thank you for sharing that! God is so good!

I believe you should talk to your priest and if he cannot be your spiritual director hopefully he can fine one for you. Pray for that! It appears to me you have been greatly blessed.

With regard to physical pain to offset temptation…that is a subject to discuss with a spiritual director.

Stay close to our Lord Jesus Christ, and his Blessed Mother who loves him perfectly!
 
I USED to chew my cheeks to fight off tempting thots,
but do that in the fear of God, and for love of God,
he sent His Son into the world so that thru Him we
may have LIFE. 1 John 4:9.
I have gnashed my teeth when I thot that I was going
to end up in hell. All this is acceptable and proves to
YOURSELF that you are serious about your faith.
FAITH is the assurance of things hoped for and the
conviction of things not seen( Heb. 11:1), the Holy
Spirit will help you set your hope FULLY on the
grace to be brought to us at the revelation of Jesus
Christ.(Rom.8:25-26;1 Pet 1:13)
 
You didn’t say, but is alcohol contributing? Have you thought of asking a computer geek to install a software filter? When tempted, can you instead substitute another activity, like reading spiritual literature? You definitely need some qualified guidance to overcome this unproductive activity.
 
Causing pain is an acceptable way to help with temptation as long as you don’t over do it by seriously injuring yourself.
 
Thank you for sharing your struggles and your ongoing battle. May I make a small suggestion that I hope you will consider. Instead of inflicting pain artificially what about beginning an exercise program and making a plan that will allow you to fight off the temptations by running or lifting weights, etc. You will promote a healthier you as you battle your temptatins and I feel this would be a very good way for you to succeed in rising above all that tortures you. I will pray for you to be at peace.
 
I’m willing to do the same as St. Francis of Assisi. Should I undertake inducing physical pains when tempted?
If you do, do it carefully and under the guidance of a mature spiritual director. Such things can easily be taken too far and be ultimately harmful.
 
I

I’m willing to do the same as St. Francis of Assisi. Should I undertake inducing physical pains when tempted?
See below
With regard to physical pain to offset temptation…that is a subject to discuss with a spiritual director.

Stay close to our Lord Jesus Christ, and his Blessed Mother who loves him perfectly!
👍
If you do, do it carefully and under the guidance of a mature spiritual director. Such things can easily be taken too far and be ultimately harmful.
👍

Mortification - such as that which involves very prudent and moderate use of some little physical pain as you note - can be possible -but as this person noted it is something to bring to your *regular confessor/ spiritual director * - such can be something some can under take in a prudent helpful way and others can “overdue it” or approach such in the wrong way.

(but no rolling in thorns - many things done by canonized saints are not immitatable)
 
The priest gave me absolution and assigned a penance of morning prayer against temptation for the next few days.

I’m willing to do the same as St. Francis of Assisi. Should I undertake inducing physical pains when tempted?
No. I think you should develop a new addiction. To the Liturgy of the Hours.

Not as a means to mask your temptations, but:

-as a tool to learn to love and trust in Christ’s mercy
-as a means of slowly converting your life over to Him
-as a means to know and appreciate the work he did for your redemption on the Cross
-as a means of praying in solidarity with the entire Church, including others who suffer their sins and carry their crosses alongside you.

My advice: get up at 5:30 am, pray the Office of Readings; then maybe coffee and breakfast, followed by Morning Prayer (Lauds). And if possible, Night Prayer (Compline).

Eat healthy, and engage in vigorous physical exercise to burn off excess energy. For me it is road cycling from March to November, and mountain hiking/snowshoeing in winter.

You’ll be too tired to stay up all night to engage in your sin. “Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit”. You’ll fall asleep in the Lord’s hands, and awake to His word which will nourish you for the day.

You won’t win this battle on will power alone. You’ll win by trust in Christ, and turning over your life to him.

Yes you will likely have failures and relapses. But remember your trust in Him and the grace He provides through the sacraments, especially confession and the Eucharist. You’ll find with time your strength to resist this sin comes more and more naturally.
 
(but no rolling in thorns - many things done by canonized saints are not immitatable)
Amen to that. I once mentioned that as an idea to my former parish priest and he raised his voice a bit and said “you’re not St. Francis!” 😊
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top