D
dts
Guest
I am trying to clarify my understanding of indulgences. I have read the catechism and this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia:
newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm
"An indulgence is the extra-sacramental remission of the temporal punishment due, in God’s justice, to sin that has been forgiven, which remission is granted by the Church in the exercise of the power of the keys, through the application of the superabundant merits of Christ and of the saints, and for some just and reasonable motive. "
I am having difficulty comprehending the meaning of “temporal punishment due, in God’s justice.” I can’t seem to conceptualize or categorize it.
Can someone give me some examples of temporal punishment due in God’s justice? Clearly death is a temporal punishment due in God’s justice, but no indulgence can remit that.
newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm
"An indulgence is the extra-sacramental remission of the temporal punishment due, in God’s justice, to sin that has been forgiven, which remission is granted by the Church in the exercise of the power of the keys, through the application of the superabundant merits of Christ and of the saints, and for some just and reasonable motive. "
I am having difficulty comprehending the meaning of “temporal punishment due, in God’s justice.” I can’t seem to conceptualize or categorize it.
Can someone give me some examples of temporal punishment due in God’s justice? Clearly death is a temporal punishment due in God’s justice, but no indulgence can remit that.