Infallible teaching of the Catholic Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter PatK63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PatK63

Guest
What are the infallible teachings of the church? The dogmas, teachings from the councils, the creeds, the Immaculate Conception of Mary and the Assumption of Mary? Are there more?
 
I was only asking about what is infallible taught. I think it has to be from a council or defined ex cathedra by the Pope.
 
I was only asking about what is infallible taught. I think it has to be from a council or defined ex cathedra by the Pope.
Those items marked in the list that are infallible (properly called dogmas) are marked with (De fide.) include:
1 scripture and tradition (contained in Revelation)
2 ex cathedra and ecumenical council

The others in the longer list are not infallible (called doctrines) and are marked with certainty such as:
3 Sent. fidei proxima
4 Sent. certa
5 Sent. communis
 
Last edited:
@porthos11
Well it does not say all teachings from the Magisterium are infallible. When the bishops in unity with The Pope teach, this is what happens in
Councils, those teachings are infallible. Encyclicals are not infallible!
 
@porthos11
Well it does not say all teachings from the Magisterium are infallible. When the bishops in unity with The Pope teach, this is what happens in
Councils, those teachings are infallible. Encyclicals are not infallible!
That is what the Church means by Ordinary Magisterium. The Pope and Bishops in union with him united in teaching something in faith and morals, even when the bishops are dispersed throughout the world (that is to say, not in Ecumenical Council).

What Encyclicals have to do with this I have no idea why you even bring it up.
 
In theory! I don’t think there is an infallible teaching that was agreed to by the bishops and pope outside a council. But I agree, there could be. I brought up encyclical because they are teachings from the pope that are not infallible but some people think they are.
 
What are the infallible teachings of the church? The dogmas, teachings from the councils, the creeds, the Immaculate Conception of Mary and the Assumption of Mary? Are there more?
Re: Infallible statements

(all emphasis mine)

“Tests for whether a definition has been made include: (a) if a pope is writing, does he use the phrase “I define”? and (b) if a council is writing, does it use the phrase “let him be anathema”? If either of these is the case, it’s probably an infallible definition, especially as this language has been used in recent centuries.”

From: HERE
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top