Fine! You convinced me to write something up on your quotations. I feel like I should be studying when I get home from work, and I do most of my discussing with all of you on my phone; but I’ll do it this one time, lol.
The first thing I need you to do, if you would be so kind is show me where in the Catholic Encyclopedia that quote is from. I found it around the internet but I can’t find it in the “New Advent” so that we can discuss it.
I know of this quote, and I know the context surrounding it; but I can’t find the dang thing on New Advent, under Church Fathers. Thanks, I’ll talk to you soon.
Here’s the citation in question, if I understand what you’re asking for correctly.
At the hour in which the cock crows, they shall first pray over the water. When they come to the water, the water shall be pure and flowing, that is, the water of a spring or a flowing body of water. Then they shall take off all their clothes. The children shall be baptized first. All of the children who can answer for themselves, let them answer. If there are any children who cannot answer for themselves, let their parents answer for them, or someone else from their family. After this, the men will be baptized. Finally, the women, after they have unbound their hair, and removed their jewelry.
[Hippolytus, *Apostolic Tradition, 21, 1-5] ~ 215 AD
I’ve found
Apostolic Tradition in several places on the web:
here and
here.
Also
Apostolic Tradition, 21 is cited in
William A. Jurgens, Faith of the Early Fathers, vol I., p. 169.
If you search under “children” you get a partial quote from p. 169.
Here is further information that may be of some use to you.
Joachim Jeremias,
The Origins of Infant Baptism: A Further Study in Reply to Kurt Aland. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf & Stock Publishers,1962 notes the following:
(1) Paul and Luke would not have used phrases like “household” and “his whole family” if they wished to exclude infants from those baptized. (p.12)
(2) Neither Hellenistic Greek nor Jewish literature restricted
oikos [houshold] to adult members of the family. It means “family.” In the NT the child (
paidion) in Jn 4:49 is part of the royal official’s “whole household” (hole oikia). (14, 17-18, 24)
From Gerhard Kittle, ed.,
Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, 10 vols. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm R. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1968, vol. V (=
TDNT)** we learn.
(3)
Paidion means “little child” : “growing child” : “up to 7 yrs. of age” : and “of undeveloped understanding” (
TDNT, V:638)
(4) In the same article we read: “Recent research [Jeremias’ work above among others] makes it fairly certain that when households joined the Church existing children would be baptized. This is supported by all the religious analogies [in secular pagan society], but especially by proselyte baptism of children.” (
TDNT, V:650)
(a) analogies - “The family and tribe were an objective cultic fellowship in the ancient world. The newborn child was incorporated in this fellowship from the very first days of its life.” (
TDNT, V:643)
(b) proselyte baptism of children - “The [Jewish] proselyte baptism which developed in pre-Christian times was a rite for receiving ‘those not born in holiness’, and it applied to existing children as well as their parents.” If a pregnant non-Jewess is converted the child does not need baptism. “But if the son was born before the mother’s baptism, he would be baptized too.” (
TDNT, V:648)