A
adrift
Guest
Since it is off topic and we have been warned not to go off topic here is the new topic.
Another example of cherry picking verses out of context and forcing it into their “tradition”. What I find amazing is when they try to make the argument that infant baptism wasn’t practiced in the Early Church.Most of the arguments against infant baptism used (That I have encountered):
*Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. *
As an indication that the infant has no ability to repent. Whenever I asked: How did the infant sin, that repentance is warranted? Silence follows…
What I find completely funny is that on the next verse it reads:
Acts 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him.”
Really!?
I have noticed from talking to protestants is that they like to quote Scripture verses out of context, the cherry picking to either to say so there or its words to live by. it is the poorest approach to Scripture study and many have done just that because they consider them to be the most logical approaches. they search Scriptures for a text to prove a moral point that one has already decided on. Usually it seeks to make its point at the expense of the other person. It tends to flaunt one’s own knowledge of Biblical references and to suggest that the Bible quoter is somehow more moral than the person whose knowledge of Scripture’s words is less and is so often quoted out of context.Another example of cherry picking verses out of context and forcing it into their “tradition”. What I find amazing is when they try to make the argument that infant baptism wasn’t practiced in the Early Church.
This was a good thread on this subject:The topic of infant baptism is NOT one of my strongest topics in Catholic theology, but I will be watching this thread with great interest.
I wonder if crochet lady will venture in and discuss with us? I do hope she does.
crochet lady, when it comes to baptism of infants. One versus, if you have any understanding of Jewish tradition, and a remembrance that Christianity is NOT a new religion, it is the fulfillment of Judism, makes the argument an open and shut case.The subject of baptism and children of households being included. Your comment – it being ‘nigh inconceiveable for a household to Not include children’. Well --a person Can Assume anything they Want to. And how do you know that the ‘entire’ family didn’t consist of Older kids who were able to understand and accept just as the parents had?