Infertility affecting marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whitacre_Girl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rach620: thank you. You have given me a lot to think about.

ALso, LizAnne

you may be right about the image. It was a drawing I did for a prolife message. I should probably switch it out for the time being. As far as being open, I am really am. But only within my means. Unfortunatly, the medical discussion is closed. I have spoken to SO many different doctors and the only other treatment option will more likely than not result in PERMANENT infertility. I can not risk that. I reacted to people accusing me of contracepting. Being accused of that in conjunction with what I am facing is…just…well I’d prefer a cheesegrater to the face, to be honest 😉
 
I would again urge you to take a look at everything, no holds barred. Look at where you could move, what you could do to work from home, what DH could do to earn more money, how you could adjust your expectations regarding what you need financially for you to stay home-- leave no rock unturned.

You are looking at it as you have to get a better job to earn enough to stay home later. Maybe you need to adjust where you live or how you live so that you can stay home now.

Or somewhere else you might have more support from family. Or you might find employment more easily. Or you may not need that job at all.

Maybe you like Seattle, but it’s one of the highest costs of living in the country and I’m sure the job market is tough.

Just things to think about.
Actually I did look into work from home opportunities. This is one onstance where my degree is holding me back. My skill set doesn’t mesh for any of these (well, that aren’t scams, anyway). As far as moving, that isn’t a possibility due to my husband’s job. We have looked into places that are cheaper to live, and we can do that but we still need a little more money stashed away before we could even try that. We actually live outside the seattle area (this is kind of a loose term since I don’t want to tell anyone exactly where in washington state I live! LOL), and looking to move to an area with an even lower cost of living so my husband can keep his job. We’ve even found a career that will work perfectly with my health issues so I can get off this disgusting medication as soon as I can. We’ve pushed everything as far forward as we possibly can without taking enormous risks with no guarantee of a payout. But we’re still at least 2-3 years out. We’re gunna push very hard to get that down to a year and a half though…We have the answer, its just that there are too many roadblocks right now.

As for surgical options, I have spoken to doctors about the surgery, but most of them agree that while it may help, it more than likely won’t. The chances of it helping are actually smaller than the chances of such a surgery rendering me totally and irreversibly sterile. I just can’t take that risk. My husband and I want more than anything to have a really big family. We often joke about “making up for lost time” as soon as we get clear of this stuff and punching out a good 6 kids right off the bat 😉 I figure I’m fine with spending a good 10 years preggers!

I got caught up on the reading…I should have posted after i read it all. I’m sorry. And I am sorry I reacted so harshly to the accusations of contracepting. I should have worded things clearer, I guess. As I said earlier, contraception is not the goal. I hate the idea, and even before I was a catholic I hated the idea. That’s why I didn’t seek treatment sooner. My doctors actually said that had I started treatment as soon as I had symptoms, there is a chance the issue would have cleared itself up by now. But because I waited so long and tried to fight through it using exercise and diet, the only thing they know of that guarantees a lifelone fix is pregnancy. Which I intend to so as soon as I get that job which allows me the time off to go off my medication and try for a child.

I just…realy need help from GOOD CATHOLIC women about finding joy while living childless. Again, I am sorry for overreacting. I just…hurt SO bad from the original situation…
 
…you may be right about the image. It was a drawing I did for a prolife message. I should probably switch it out for the time being.
Good choice of image!!! I think this is more the message you need to be focusing on - how blessed you are NOW. 👍

~Liza
 
I am so sorry you are suffering and having such a hard time with your hopefully temporary infertility. A few posters have given you responses to the question you actually asked, and I agree with them whole-heartedly. You should trust God completely, do all that you can to surrender yourself to His Will. That means praying for surrender and trust everyday, and it seems like maybe you might also pray for understanding and peace. I think you will be happiest if you can come to terms with the fact that God doesn’t think like us; we are so limited by our current desires and perceived needs. There is an awesome plan for you and your husband, and I think the key right now is finding peace with where you are right now. God is giving you precious time with your husband; enjoy it!

My husband and I are TTA with NFP currently because he is in a chiropractic doctorate program (with a huge price tag), and we are living on my (Catholic) teaching income. We both absolutely hate that we need to avoid, but that is what we’ve prayerfully decided to do for the past year and at least till the summer. So much like you, people might tell me that we are making the wrong decision, that we should manage to live off of my income, TTC now, and have a child in daycare that we can’t afford while my husband takes 30 credits at a time. I don’t care what other people think about all that! Good for you for telling people not to worry about your medical needs.

My husband and I love our time together and make the most of our current reality. We have home “dates” and take long walks, we hold hands while we sit on the couch, we tease each other and laugh, we spend time with other young couples and families…I am so in love with him. It is a scary thought that maybe when we start trying we will find that we are infertile, but I know that if that is God’s plan, I could be happy with just this man my whole life. Sex is not about just making babies. Pray beforehand, pray afterward. Thank God for your husband, think about your vows, and make it about giving yourself to him completely.
 
Not married here: I really have no advice then to try and concentrate on the positive and take it day to day. That’s where I’m at. I have no child or husband myself so at least having a husband you’re ahead of the game there. I wouldn’t listen to all those single women who think having a child means there’s more love in a relationship. I would ask myself instead if there’s some much love there why won’t their bf’s marry them. I think it’s selffish to have a child outsite of marriage…what guarantee does the child have that the father will stick around. 🤷 Anyway that is another issue. Having a child is a lot of work too maybe God is sparing you something you think you’re ready for but really aren’t. For now like I said just take it day by day and maybe the rest will come along later. 👍 Offering prayers for you.
 
Whitacre Girl, it sounds like you are on the right track with you and your DH and your job/financial situation. Everyone is saying it all the time, but the economy is just incredibly challenging for so many people right now. We feel like we are living on the edge ourselves, and my husband won’t be done with his postgrad program (and start making a real salary) for another 2 1/2 years. It’s tough, and sometimes we fall into thinking that everything would feel so much better if we had a child…and that’s not entirely true. Part of it is just that “grass is greener on the other side” mentality, and I’m sure that if we were expecting a baby, I’d be freaking out with the details and wondering how we’re going to make it. God has us where we are right now for a reason, and I’m trying to figure out how to listen to Him TODAY, not tomorrow or a few years down the road. I’m not sure if that helps or comforts you at all, but I just thought I’d share what I’ve gone through.

As far as “surgical options”–are you talking about endometriosis surgery? If you are avoiding endo surgery out of fear that it will render you sterile, you definitely should contact the Pope Paul VI Institute. I would be afraid of having anyone but a NaProTechnology doc perform the laparascopy on me, even when they call it a “conservative” surgery, but research has shown the Pope Paul VI Institute technique to be much more successful and careful at preserving future fertility. This graph is posted on the NaProTechnology website under “effectiveness for infertility treatment”:
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

If that’s not your issue, then I’m sorry for butting in…but this new science is really a gift for women’s health and approaches the treatment of infertility from an entirely different perspective than most other OB-GYNs today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top